Search results

1. Pghsebring

Sealant for threaded chrome plated 1-1/4 in brass tailpiece into tee

Have a threaded chrome plated brass 1.25 tailpiece they sent as a replacement that goes into the bottom of a tee (side of tee is drain overflow pivot rod entrance). It says to use hydraulic mastic on instructions. What is your favorite sealant here? I am leaning towards teflon paste (oatey great...
  2. Pghsebring

Watts 3/4 PRV strainer plug socket size or special tool?

I have a 3/4" Watts LFU5B PRV valve that has a strainer that is removed after the plug is removed. The strainer plug is 12 sided and measures 1.24" flat to flat but a 12 point 1 - 1/4" socket is not correct. Is there a specialized tool or anyone know off the top of their head (I don't own every...
  3. Pghsebring

Sewer line. Is this a professional repair

I would love to know how this was allowed. It had been "repaired" previously...by laying a piece of plastic over the broken clay part, then throwing the clay parts in the backfill as it was covered up. My other questions, is the clay pipe, which is owned by the city, usually the cities...
  4. Pghsebring

Hydrotech 4000,What should I replace here

Here is the setup at a house I own. I'm not 100% sure of the names of the different parts. The indexing valve was leaking. No problem, I got the same k-rain 4000 with a 3 zone cam in it. Ironically the problem I'm having is when I went to install that schedule 80 PVC into the indexing valve...
  5. Pghsebring

Black water, then black flakes from supplies

I live in a 30 story condo building that was built in 1997, about half way up. The boilers are on the roof fwiw, and we have communal (city) water that is not individually heated or metered. It seems the supplies are copper, at least where they come out of the walls in our apartment. I did...
  6. Pghsebring

Low flange, which option

Got an old cast iron flange here, when they remodeled the flange ended up low, and the flange isnt exactly level left to right either. Pipe looks to be 4”. Tried the extra large wax ring, it doesnt compress, its probably the perfect height to just barely touch bottom of toilet, so id need a...
  7. Pghsebring

2" pex in attic, upsize then downsize

If the incoming waterline to the house is 3/4", and then it ran through 100ft of 2" pex in the attic, and then was converted back down to 3/4" before branches off to faucets, etc, would there be any noticable water pressure issues? Is there a plumbing code it violates to upsize then downsize again?
  8. Pghsebring

Offset from tailpiece to trap adapter options

Talking about a bathroom sink here in a remodel. 1 1/4" tailpiece, and the "hole in the wall" is about 1" too far offset that when i swing the p trap exactly horizontal (parallel to the wall) and make the 90 with the top piece, it still isn't offset enough to line up with the trap adapter in...
  9. Pghsebring

Say you landed on Mars with PVC pipe...

...but no PVC solvent. They brought almost every other type of caulk/glue, except anything that is a solvent for PVC. You're the only plumber and you have to get to work plumbing drains. Next ship arrives in 30 years. Which caulk/glue do you use to make connections between pipe and fittings?
  10. Pghsebring

Where is the least worst place to go from 2" to 1.5" for laundry

So this is my dilemma...I've never half-assed anything before in my life, but I cannot take the time to fix this properly, even though I know how to. I bought a house that has a 1.5" copper standpipe for the washer that is an s-trap and has no vent, no sanitee - oh, and the utliity sink drains...
  11. Pghsebring

Does this wet vent meet code?

Well, i'm just about finished with my main bathroom (other thread), now it's about time to tackle the basement bathroom. I found this picture on this site: Now, that vent is going up 2 stories, and into the attic. I want to know if i should run it over to the 2" vent from my other full...
  12. Pghsebring

Tips/tricks for vents in attic?

Never had to combine vents in attic before. Always went straight out roof with one stack. Now i have 3 vents going up 3 walls i need to combine in attic. Any tricks to this? Is it as straight forward as it seems? Flip a sanitee over, make sure there's 1/4" pitch on the horizontal? Since i...
  13. Pghsebring

P trap problem, change from single to double bowl

The problem is this: when you go from a single to a double bowl, neither of the two drains end up directly in front of the hole in the wall. The "U" of the ptrap isn't long enough to make it so the flat leg of the P can fit straight into the wall - i'm short about an inch of travel from either...
  14. Pghsebring

Plumbers putty for tub drain, or...?

I have a sterling vikrell bathtub that i need to put a pvc drain on. On this forum i saw a discussion of plumbers putty vs. silicone, and it seemed plumbers putty won. However, in the blue and orange box stores around here, they only have the standard oateys plumbers putty, and on it, the...
  15. Pghsebring

Is this bath plan up to code?

I sketched out what i think i can get to fit under my main bath, so i can still finish the room below it with a minor amount of soffits, etc. I am especially concerned about the area in the red box...but other than that, any obvious errors? Now, this is the contraption i want to use in...
  16. Pghsebring

How to attach to this clay pipe?

Had a clay elbow break just as the stack was entering the floor. I sawed up my floor, took elbow out. Went to use a rubber donut and 3" pvc - damn hub broke on next piece. Got out hammer, grinder, etc, had to cut back another 15". This is now what it looks like: How do i...
  17. Pghsebring

How would you plumb this basement bath?

I'm going to put in rough plumbing for a bathroom in the basement while i have the floor torn up. I drew up a diagram, i wonder how exactly you'd plumb this...the whole width of the bath is maybe 10' max. Its going to go in the corner of the basement...so here it is...this is the view from...
  18. Pghsebring

In a world of hurt...drain broken under house...

So i'm trying to remodel the bathroom, i finally get the cast iron stack out of the floor. The other two stacks in the house were barely cemented into the middle of a hole in the floor - which ended up being 4" terra cotta 90s. So in those two cases i got a couple of donuts and all was good...
  19. Pghsebring

What size vents?

I'm trying to figure out if my vent sizes are correct. Right now i have a 2" hole in my roof, and a 3" hole in my basement floor. I will have a double sink vanity, and the double fixture fitting has a 1.5" vent out the top, and a 2 in drain on the bottom. This will meet my 1.5" tub drain...
  20. Pghsebring

Shower drain between, then under floor joists...

Redoing a bathroom...here's what i want to do. Eventually we will be finishing the basement below the bathroom. I want to run the tub/shower drain between (parallel) the floor joists so that no part hangs down below the joists (2x10s). After about 6 ft, i want to run the drain just...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks