Search results

1. AcidWater

how to remove protective wire grid from around Lennox AC condenser fins ?

My 1987 Lennox AC unit runs like a champ, never loses coolant. I had the fan shroud sand blasted and powder coated so it will last another several decades. I want to do the same thing to the ~2"x4" grid wire fence that surrounds the radiator fins. I can see that the ends are not fastened, just...
  2. AcidWater

need to add wall outlet for a dishwasher - code & standards?

My Kitchen Aid dishwasher, installed in 1970, has finally bit the dust. Can't get parts. It is hard-wired to a 2-wire Romex cable coming up from below, near the front center of the recessed space under the kitchen cabinet. The new dishwashers all have a 3 prong plug & cord. Is there a...
  3. AcidWater

Is a new Square-D pressure switch pre-adjusted out of the box?

Hopefully it will be close to 30/50, not completely random? After I installed it, my plan to add a working pressure gage up top did not work out. In the mean time, I plan to pressurize the system until the flow out of the tap feels OK, and then adjust the cut-out to that pressure. Maybe buy...
  4. AcidWater

need to fix site security certificate or site cannot be accessed

I'm using an old browser & I can override the "don't go there - bad site certificate" warning. But newer browsers are part of the Nanny State & people won't be able to get to the site at all
  5. AcidWater

Correct 1/8" (?) tube between pump and pressure switch?

I was unable to find the tube the installation sheet talks about, but got some clear-ish that fits the spike on the fitting; I think its for fridge icemakers or something like that. Recently I read that the correct way to seal the hose is to heat it so it expands, then slide it over the spike...
  6. AcidWater

Pressure gage for water system - that won't fill with water?

Is there a specified grade or type of gage for use with water? My (very old) gage has the glass filled with muddy water.
  7. AcidWater

Pump runs every 3-5 minutes but negligible pressure change

while dogsitting, neighbors shallow well 2-pipe jet pump was coming on every 3-5 minutes but checking the gage, it was at about 38psi with very little change between ON and OFF. EDIT: I guess technically its not "shallow" beyond 25 feet; this is 60-70 feet. I've always regarded any depth...
  8. AcidWater

Diameter of pipes in shallow well w 2 pipe jet pump? (# Gallons to prime?)

Neighbor lost his prime, so I hooked up a doner hose. Took FOREVER to fill. Want to calculate how many gallons were needed. Its 60-70 feet deep, and I have to fill both pipes? What's the optimum way to get the air out? Once I figured it was full, I valved off the intake (doner hose & upper...
  9. AcidWater

Optimum caulk line thickness for bathtub? Inside corner technique?

You can cut the caulk tube to make any diameter caulk line. Then you smooth it and it spreads out. So what is the best diameter to use, and radius of the smoothing tool? Is a concave finish or a straight 45 deg line best? I suppose you want a diameter larger than the gap between the tile and...
  10. AcidWater

How to remove bathroom floor - screwed down under glued-on vinyl sheet?

Over a year ago, my neighbor had a leak in his master bedroom bathroom shower. To find it, removed the one piece vinyl surround, glued & screwed to the studs. Then he thinks, "I want to replace this with tile." So the pan has to go - except a circular saw creates toxic smoke & clogs up...
  11. AcidWater

Delta Multichoice - how to remove temperature control cover?

Just had this installed, and I want to increase the max hot temperature. I have the instructions: page 7 item 4 "installation & adjustment of the rotational limit stop" ::: (C2 is for my style of cover) "secure the temp control knob (1) w/ screw (2). Hook (3) front of temp control cover (4)...
  12. AcidWater

70% markup over retail for Delta tub fittings?

Got a bid of $915 to remove the old rough-in valve (from the back of the wall) & replace all the fittings. - they supplied builder grade Moen fittings. I said I want Delta "Dorval" fittings... and they want another $1970. The Delta webpage lists the retail price for the four items I want...
  13. AcidWater

Correct diameter for bathroom fan outlet duct & vent itself?

Where can I find good practices or code for the size of bathroom vent piping & outlet? My hall bath vented into the attic. A few years ago I replaced the fan, and it was extremely quiet and kept the mirror from fogging up. I just paid a plumbing contractor $$$ to vent it outside, and he said...
  14. AcidWater

How to I get this (&()*)@# 3-hole spout off?

All that effort removing the mineral deposits from the sink... I've removed the bottom hardware from this 3 hole set, and the taps & valves -- but the spout must have been screwed onto a threaded stub from above, in 1966. Unsure how to get a hold of it. Hopefully I can get some vice-locks onto...
  15. AcidWater

Removing 1966 pipe between sink trap & wall

Gotta pull the sink to replace the putty & so also installing new valve set & pipes. The horizontal pipe between the trap & the wall is losing some of its chrome. Don't really see rust yet, kind of coppery (undercoat for chrome). Dunno if its the original 1966 pipe. Not too much mineral scum...
  16. AcidWater

Removing 50 yrs of mineral scum from sink - muriatic acid?

I need to pull the bathroom sink to replace the putty so will replace the worn out valve set as well. So I can take the stripped sink outside. The scum is copper "green blue" and pretty thick. Mostly dripped down from the hot tap. What's the best chemical? If muriatic acid, I know that I'll...
  17. AcidWater

Bathroom sink valve - how many turns to stop?

This doesn't seem to be a variation that is searchable in valve set shopping websites. Is 1/4 turn the current standard? Are there different turns to stop? I really want more turns to stop so I can have finer control, I usually use only a small flow. I don't even think that all brands tell you...
  18. AcidWater

Sink valve center to center 5 11/16" ???

1966 bathroom oval sink hung in a countertop. Spout in the middle has a lift to drop the stopper.Probably Eljer. 5 11/16" seems like an odd measurement, between the centers of the Phillips screw on the valve handle. Maybe the stems are made not quite parallel? Should this be a 5 1/2" unit...
  19. AcidWater

Source for 4x4 tile for tub surround, match 1966 "yellow" or a pattern?

Need to knock thru the wall to replace the valve -- its leaking back there. I don't think the single-handle face plates are large enough since it may require reaching into a big hole to remove the 3-valve, install a support 2x4 for the new valve at the correct horizontal distance from the front...
  20. AcidWater

Chimney cleanout door sizing & source to obtain

Chimney cleanout -- I just noticed that the existing steel door assembly has fallen to the floor -- into the leak pan around the hot water heater, which I discovered when my wife said there is no hot water... So it must have been leaking slowly for a while, keeping the pan wet, because the...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks