Search results

1. Xroad

Shower Control Valve

I am back at my mother's house again :( 2 hours away, fixing her tenent's shower valve. It is a 3 knob control, hot-diverter-cold control valve. The cold water valve stem need replacing. I cannot figure out what manufacturer makes the valve control. I have a detail drawing after I made some...
  2. Xroad

Boiler: Valve to Automaticly Add Water

My mother's steam heat boiler have a low water warning light. When it is on, the boiler will not turn on until the water supply valve is opened to add sufficient water into the boiler. This was OK when I lived there or when my father was younger. Now both of them are OLD and I live far away...
  3. Xroad

Patching Lead Pipe

The 4" lead vertical pipe coming down through the basement ceiling meets up with a 90* elbow then goes horizontal downstream. Right before the vertical pipe meets the elbow, there is a 2" horizontal lead pipe that "T" into the 4" vertical pipe. This 2" horizontal pipe is about 12 inches long...
  4. Xroad

4" Cast Iron Pipe: Unplug Sections

How difficult is it to separate one section of 4" cast iron from another section. Is the oakum & lead stuff really tight? If I can unplug, then I do not have to cut the cast iron. I found flexible rubber pipe coupling that fits the 4" PVC on one end and the other end fits the "socket" female...
  5. Xroad

4" Rubber Boots to Connect Cast Iron to PVC

Wow, I don't remember 4" rubber boots to be so expensive. I need to splice in a section of PVC to a cast iron sewer pipe. Home Depot, Lowes, ... Pretty pricey. Can I do better buying mail order? Where? Any recommendation? -xroad
  6. Xroad

Under Sink Anti Freeze Valve

Couple of years ago, I saw in This Old House magazine, I think, a valve attached under the kitchen sink water pipe. When the temperature drops to a low trigger point, the valve starts to drip. It is not a fast drip. It is a very slow drip. The slow controlled drip is sufficient to prevent...
  7. Xroad

Do I Need Draino?

My bath room sink has been draining slower and slower. I took a peek down the drain and saw lots of black cruds. Possibly they are build ups from soap, tooth paste, and snot. I do not have this problem with my bath tub. When I replace my bath tub last year, I looked at the drain pipe and it...
  8. Xroad

Window Film to Seal Out Draft

I just did 18 windows with plastic sheets to seal out the draft. I can feel the difference. I have cheap vinyl windows that leaks at the sash to frame gaps. It also leaks where the two sash meets. Could I not just use some form of adhesive tape at all 7 gaps at each window? What tape...
  9. Xroad

2 Stroke Engine Fuel Mix Ratio

My leave blower needs 40:1 gas to oil mix. My weed trimmer needs 50:1 gas to oil mix. It is a pain to keep a separate gas container for each mix. What happens if I just keep one container with 45:1 mix? Will I damage the engine? Will performance be worst? Difficult to start?
  10. Xroad

Where Do I Begin? Fan Motor Squealing

Hi Folks, I removed the fan sub assembley from the bathroom exhaust fan unit. The mator was squealing. Easier to take the sub assembly down and replace the motor than removing and replacing the whole fan unit, which is attached to the ceiling. So, where do I begin? Who sells fan motors...
  11. Xroad

Badly Rusted/Leaking Main Waste Pipe

My mother's house have a section of 4" waste pipe, cast iron, badly rusted and leaking. If I am to cut the section out and replace the section with PVC pipe & rubber union boots at each end, it would be the ideal fix. Problem is the risk. If I use a chain type pipe cutter. It may not snap at the...
  12. Xroad

Bag For a Riding Mower

No plumbing question ..... Got an old riding lawn mower. Sears Craftsman model 917.270840. I cannot even find the model in the Sears web site. Really poor web site. Google found a few unrelated links on the model. I am looking for a side bag attachment or rear mount hard or soft bags. Found...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks