Search results

1. Davej

Could flushing fire hydrant repeatedly burst main in front of house?

Yes, its a hilly area and my home is in a bowl - and the house is like halfway up that bowl. The main is in the street at the bottom of the bowl.
  2. Davej

Could flushing fire hydrant repeatedly burst main in front of house?

The water department keeps having to dig up and replace main in front of my house - 2016, 2020, 2022. Its very disruptive as it means replacing concrete curb on the street, driveway apron, repaving large sections of the street, re-doing my tree lawn irrigation system, re-seeding tree lawn, etc...
  3. Davej

Burst frozen tub drain in 2nd floor bump out

My kids' bathroom is located on the 2nd floor, and the tub is located over a 2nd floor bump out. See attached picture. The tub wasn't draining after the bath. It eventually started flowing again, but it dawned on me that due to the low temps in Cleveland, OH that the drain might be frozen...
  4. Davej

PVC to ABS fitting leaking under kitchen sink - why?

I had my kitchen remodeled. An inspector said that the remodeler had to use a 'mechanical' joint when connecting PVC to ABS, the remodeler initially wanted to use some kind of glue. So I have this threaded connection now between PVC and ABS, but its leaking a little bit. Whats going on...
  5. Davej

Sewer gas from garage floor drain

If I pour a bucket of water into the floor drain, that lateral pipe that intersects it is below the water line for a couple weeks.
  6. Davej

Sewer gas from garage floor drain

I have a floor drain in the center of my garage. Over the summer, we smelled sewer gas coming out of it, so I poured some water in there - I haven't really smelled sewer gas in there since. However, I keep noticing the water level dropping below this other pipe that intersects with the drain...
  7. Davej

New home - 85 psi water pressure

So I did get a pressure gauge, read it a couple times and it typically read 85-95 psi and once 100 psi. I had a different plumber over for a broken pop-up drain assembly, asked him to hookup his gauge and it also measured 95 psi. So he came back and installed a Zurn Wilkins model 600XL...
  8. Davej

Do I need a backflow preventer to keep basement dry?

I had a plumber over for an unrelated issue (read it here) and I asked if he recommended a backflow preventer in my home. I don't want any basement water issues ;) He said he only sees backup issues with homes that have a sump pump or a basement bathroom, and I have neither. I do have a...
  9. Davej

OK, thanks for the input. I will probably have a PRV / thermal expansion tank installed. The possibility of water where it shouldn't be seems pretty destructive, so I don't want any problems! I do wonder what my plumber will think - asking him to perform work he doesn't recommend, and...
  10. Davej

I am a new homeowner, and I thought my water pressure was too strong because water was going everywhere when I turned on the faucets. I asked a plumber to come over, he put a gauge on the valve going to my washing machine in the basement, and it read 85 psi. He said he likes to see 60-85 psi...
  11. Davej

Extending portable dishwasher hose (w/pics!)

I have a brand new Whirlpool DP840SWSX portable dishwasher. I took my dishwasher unicouple hose to a local outfit to be extended. Unfortunately, it came out much longer than I needed. The problem is, a significant amount of the hose previously resided inside the machine, forming a high loop...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks