Search results

1. Handymaner

Bathroom remodel...need to move breaker box?

I’m planning a bathroom remodel. The bathroom will expand, taking over a closet in the hallway. Problem is, the main breaker box is located in the end wall of that closet. After the remodel, it will be inside the bathroom within a couple of feet of both the sink and toilet. Ive seen other...
  2. Handymaner

Too much cycling

Do these panel radiators work with low temps suitable for solar? I have some solar ambitions.
  3. Handymaner

Too much cycling

Hey Thanks Badger. I'll look into a smaller pump and check out those panel radiators. If I could come up with some of the old cast iron base boards I would use them, but I've never seen any up here. Shipping too high for that kind of weight probably.
  4. Handymaner

Too much cycling

Do you honestly think it's oversized? On what do you base that decision? With 43 minute avg burns and only "bumping off the bottom" with mild temps and a single zone open that seems pretty good to me. Am I to understand that a boiler properly sized for -6 deg design temp would never run at...
  5. Handymaner

Too much cycling

Well, I've found a way to measure delta t that's accurate enough. I have 2 of those digital thermometers that have a lead to place out through the window (for outside temp). By putting the lead under the pipe insulation in the area I want to measure, it's consistent enough. It's not a true...
  6. Handymaner

Need advice on converting from oil to natural gas.....combis?

Dana and this board saved me from a 110 to 150k boiler when that was what everyone recommended. I installed a Lochinvar Knight 85K and it's worked terrifically this winter, and I live in Anchorage AK! I'm just working on tweaking my delta t to get the return water as low as possible for max...
  7. Handymaner

Too much cycling

Thanks to this forum (mainly Dana's advice), the boiler is not over sized. Here's a link to the sizing thread: https://terrylove.com/forums/show...load-calc-help Everyone locally recommended 120 or 150k boilers, I went with 85k-despite dire predictions of freezing this winter which has not...
  8. Handymaner

Too much cycling

Yes I am totally aware of that. Absolutely no confusion there on my part. I'm calling the primary pump the one that came with the boiler that's in the primary loop. The secondary pump listed above (Grundfos UPS 15-42 F) is the one that's always been serving the baseboard loops, and if I SLOW...
  9. Handymaner

Too much cycling

It's still pretty frozen over. Just went through a 2 day blizzard last week. But since we've sprung forward it's not dark until 9PM! Maybe in this case it's not optimum to follow manufacturer's instructions and dealer's guidance regarding P/S-but that's all I had to go with. I'd sure like to...
  10. Handymaner

Too much cycling

OK Badger....evidently I'm not making myself clear enough. I'm not using any set back on the thermostat. My issue with the thermostat was that it was only calling for heat for a couple of minutes and then off. I found no way to adjust the hysteresis (even calling Honeywell tech), it must only...
  11. Handymaner

Too much cycling

Tweaking Delta T's OK, I’m back. Work has been crazy; I’ve been forced to be away from home literally since the end of December. The boiler has been working GREAT, the reset curve seems to be really close as it just barely keeps up-which is the goal I guess? The usage has continued to be...
  12. Handymaner

Too much cycling

I'm not sure what would have been designed? The house is 35 years old and all the radiation loops were already in place and it's not in the cards to change that now. I dream of warm board or something similar on the upper floor (1000 sq ft), but I think that stuff must be quite expensive, as...
  13. Handymaner

Too much cycling

Yeah, I've been trying to get some consistent readings, but they are all over the map. I tried on the copper piping near the boiler, and on the baseboard itself. I need to pick up some hockey tape, I guess. I'm not familiar with it, is a sporting goods store the place to find it (I'm assuming...
  14. Handymaner

Too much cycling

OH.....I've only been reading the temps on the boiler screen. Page 2 has input temp, output temp, and difference (which is the delta-T I have been reporting). I have not checked the loops at all. Wouldn't it be the boiler input temp that counts for efficiency? I will use my IR temp reader on...
  15. Handymaner

Too much cycling

Delta-T experimentation OK, I just did a quick experiment. It's 7* outside this morning. The boiler was at 63% fire, setpoint 148* and delta-T was running 16-17* with 4 zones open. I cut down each return ball valve a little over halfway. The delta-T started dropping! It went from 16-17* to...
  16. Handymaner

Too much cycling

Thanks Dana & Jadnashua, Let me clarify: I installed ball valves on each side of each loop (supply & return). The pump and zone valves are on the supply side. I'm thinking it would be best to close down the return side? Or does it matter? You are not suggesting restricting the primary...
  17. Handymaner

Too much cycling

Just a report. We've got into the cold season. The last several weeks have been highs in the teens and lows just below zero. I think I've got the outdoor reset curve down, system temp is at mid 150's at 0* outdoor temp. It just BARELY keeps up, once in a while loosing a degree below t-stat...
  18. Handymaner

Too much cycling

Thanks, Dana for your guidance. You have given me much to think about and figure up. That's just what I wanted, a way to set the curve up for my system. I can do the math as per your example, and like you said tweak it until I'm cold and then raise it just a bit to optimize it. I just wasn't...
  19. Handymaner

Too much cycling

No, you are right on the math, I guess I was being confused by the decimal. It is .2 (I saw .19 and thought 19) hours per burn. So 12 minutes is OK? I thought that would be way too much. If it's actually "GREAT!" then I guess I have nothing to worry about. The setpoint was running at...
  20. Handymaner

Too much cycling

I have recently finished installing a Lochinvar Night. Here's a link to the sizing thread: https://terrylove.com/forums/showthread.php?48047-Heat-load-calc-help I went with the 85000BTU size. It's cycling too much (according to the smart control 127 hours/640 cycles for space heating in...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks