Search results

1. JASchneider

Power vent or power direct vent recommendations

Yeah, I've worked as a general contractor and dealt with supply houses for just that reason. I'd expect issues related to improper installation just wouldn't be covered, whether done by me or a licensed plumber. Either way, I'm most concerned with the quality of the unit and getting the right...
  2. JASchneider

Thanks for the offer, Mark. I'll think about that. I also see Ferguson may sell these, but their online shop is completely broken, so I can't price. I'll call them, too. But the Rheem unit's still attractive for price. My question was power direct vent vs power vent, not regular direct vent vs...
  3. JASchneider

Comparing the two heaters I linked above, the tank and connection heights are basically exactly the same, so I'm not sure what model(s) Mark had experience with. I think both companies also offer short versions of many models, but don't think I'd need that. My other question from the OP is...
  4. JASchneider

Thanks, Mark. This is a house that's never had a power vent, and the room has good height (plus an easy path between floor joists out to the rim joist). I'll look at the specs and also those of the low version(s), and see what it looks like might work. The most comparable BW I can find is...
  5. JASchneider

Everything I've read about tankless makes me think I should stay away, or at least be very suspect. I see people are fairly happy with some Rinnai models, and I've looked at Noritz in the past, but they're pretty ridiculously expensive. My biggest worry is maintenance. I'm willing to drain a...
  6. JASchneider

By the way, I was sort of eyeing this model, at a good price online (not free shipping, but overall a good deal): http://www.consumersplumbing.com/site/consumers/productdetail.exc?cmd=630_view_prod&isApp=true&page=1&co_id=630&item_id=134160&prod_id=1967...
  7. JASchneider

Hello. Just bought a new, old house (1925) that has a crappy (or so I've read), but almost new US Craftmaster atmospheric-vented 50-gal tank. We're thinking of removing the furnace chimney for a kitchen remodel, as we'll also be replacing the very old and worn out furnace, so I'm thinking of...
  8. JASchneider

L.A. Style P-Trap

No, poorplmbr, what you describe isn't what I'm talking about. I don't think I'm overthinking anything - just wanted to know if others had problems with these traps leaking and what remedies they might have tried. My second trap (sent to me for free by Watts) didn't leak when I first installed...
  9. JASchneider

L.A. Style P-Trap

Thanks for all the replies. First of all, the wall stub out is PVC and that joint, with no sealant, is leak free. I'm also not surprised to hear that ABS or PVC L.A. traps don't have leakage problems, since plastics compress to some extent. Yes, the joint I'm talking about is cupped, just...
  10. JASchneider

L.A. Style P-Trap

Greetings. Please excuse my sloppy terminology. I have a question for anyone out there who has experience with an L.A.-style p-trap, which has the usual slip joint for the sink drain, but a radiator-vavle-type compression joint on the other side of the j-bend (that is, right in the middle of the...
  11. JASchneider

Hairline (almost invisible) crack in Toto bowl

Toto bowl Yes, I said "bowl." I didn't see anyone question that. The "crack," if it is a crack, is inside running down the back of the bowl. If Toto has a 5-year warranty, I'll just get them to authorize a replacement bowl. No biggie. Josh
  12. JASchneider

I guess I'll follow up on this Thanks for the replies. Sounds like I might be better off to err on the side of caution. I only need to determine whether I've got any warranty coverage on it. I'd hope Toto would back their products against this kind of problem.
  13. JASchneider

Hello. I installed a Toto Drake in my house in fall of 2003, and it's been working just fine. However, I recently noticed, when I was cleaning it, that an extremely fine crack has appeared running essentially vertically down the back of the bowl for several inches, down to near the outlet. The...
  14. JASchneider

Bell joint

What's it worth? Can't say whether I would've been better off hiring a plumber. I bought an old house with the intention of doing all kinds of work myself, as a way of learning. Really pretty stupid, but I have learned a lot. Thing is, I thought the job was going to be easier than it was, and...
  15. JASchneider

Bell joint

Quicker and Safer I'm going to go with Master Plumber Mark over srdenny at this point. Of course, I already have everything back together, including the stack. I'll be checking for leaks very shortly. But after spending two days trying to fit a PVC 45 into that old bell, quick was alreadly a...
  16. JASchneider

Bell joint

Thanks, Master Plumber Mark Well, I've got the joint setting now with an iron 45, packed with layers of oakum and plastic lead. I'm not too sure about the plastic lead, but I'll let it set and see how it feels. If it still seems iffy, I might remove some of the packing and repack with one of...
  17. JASchneider

Bell joint

No Luck Well, just a couple of minutes into trying your tip, srdenny, and I can tell it's working no better. I think my 105-yr-old wye bell must just be too much off today's 4" standards. I can't even start the PVC into the gasket when the it's fully seated inside the bell, and if I seat it...
  18. JASchneider

Bell joint

Crisco Tip Thanks, srdenny. I'll look into this, since I have the straight 4" already around. The only problem with this solution, again, is that I have to meet up with my old stack near my second floor (2 floors up). I guess a 2" offset, approximately, won't necessarily make that much...
  19. JASchneider

Bell joint

Followup to Bell Joint Question For Master Plumber Mark Thanks, Mark. A couple of questions. 1st I'm not sure what you mean about 2" galvanized pipe. I'm talking about all 4". More importantly, with whatever solution I use other than the donut gasket, I'm not sure whether I can achieve...
  20. JASchneider

Bell joint

Iron Bell to PVC Street 45 Problems - Help Anyone? Hello. I've seen plenty of threads on this forum about fitting PVC into iron bell hubs using either Fernco or other "donut" gaskets. Well, I went down to the bell (nominal 4") on my 100-year-old wye at basement floor level, intending to insert...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks