Search results

1. starfieldroad

replacing a bowl on a drake - anything else?

Thank you, it's reassuring to have some folks looking over my shoulder on this. Generally it seems like there is better suction on the bowl clearing flush, if this is the case then I would attribute it to a more complete seal at the closet flange. Comparing ADA to standard drake (both...
  2. starfieldroad

No leaks, so far. Will be putting the seat back on and test driving it soon.
  3. starfieldroad

I've got water in it... flushes fine.
  4. starfieldroad

So... got back to this today. 1.) I replaced the 2 flange screws that I could get out and left the 2 rusted / corroded ones in place. 2.) screwed the metal piece from the Plum Pak repair kit onto the top of the flange. I drilled through the flange plastic to mount the metal ring. Seems quite a...
  5. starfieldroad

No progress today. I did pick up a 3-4 flange and primer+cement at the store. I might take a stab at removing the old one tomorrow or it may have to wait until friday.
  6. starfieldroad

Yes, I think lowes sells an Oatey which does inside & outside fit (as mentioned in the video). This video shows, briefly, the removal of an outside fitting flange from the waste pipe Our existing flange doesn't seem to match most currently available shapes / designs. Any comment about that...
  7. starfieldroad

Thanks guys. We have a second bathroom so this is not a pressed-for-time repair, though I do want to get it back in operation sooner rather than later. The flange seems to connect to the >outside< of an elbow piece of pipe that connects up from below. In other words, the curved waste pipe fits...
  8. starfieldroad

Would using a flange spacer ring, screwing into the old flange face and using RTV sealant be an option?
  9. starfieldroad

the 2 rear screws are heavily corroded. I got the others out, they are rusted, and am leaving the rear ones in for now. One is so corroded that I cannot feel a slot, they are not philips screws; I think it might need to be drilled / tapped out. I've got a rag in a plastic bag in the hole and am...
  10. starfieldroad

The outside ring of the flange in the one bolt slot lifted off completely with ease, it was broken at both ends. I purchased the Plumb Pak toilet anchor flange repair kit (247812) but it's not clear how effective this will be. I have a layer or two of linoleum, plywood sheeting and then...
  11. starfieldroad

There are visible cracks in the top of the bowl where the tank rests. At the least we had seepage of clean water from this area of the bowl. Most of the wax ring came up with the bowl. It is hard to tell if there may have been seepage at the rear of the ring / flange. One of the floor bolt...
  12. starfieldroad

Working on this project today. Korky has a good video overview of the process: http://www.korky.com/index.php?p=6000BP Step one for me is taking the toilet apart and off so I can remove the bad bowl. In lifting the tank clear of the bowl I see that the old gasket had begun to break down --...
  13. starfieldroad

FWIW - we do not have the Korky valve, which means we have the TSU18A AFAIK. It has been behaving so I won't fuss with it (jinx). Everything else I'm ordering online. toto gasket, toto bolt set, korky flapper, korky waxfree bowl seal w/ hardware, brasscraft supply line. total is just under $48...
  14. starfieldroad

Thank you both for your helpful replies -- this place is so awesome. Indeed, I may have mispoken when calling the location the flange - the crack is somewhere high at the rear. Yes, I have already read the sticky thread on drake installs. The UPS box was waiting for me when I got back from...
  15. starfieldroad

Our 6-7 year old toto drake has a fine crack in the flange which leads to very very slow seepage down one rear-side of the exterior. It has not been significant enough to cause dampness on the floor but it's time to replace it. I have opted for a new bowl and not a completely new tank & bowl...
  16. starfieldroad

toto drake not shutting off crisply

just an update to this thread: 1.) have not had to replace any of the original toilet components since the flow was reduced in 2009. 2.) One mistake I made was in not contacting the municipal water utility / engineering to see if they had any responsibility for the pressure of water supplied...
  17. starfieldroad

Basement utility sink pumps?

We're in the same boat: the washer pumps across to a point which is too high for a sink drain to handle on it's own. the saniflo / saniswift gray water pump seems to be half the price of a Hartell: http://www.saniflo.com/SANISWIFT.aspx I figure to get a basic utility tub from a bigbox store...
  18. starfieldroad

the update: Well pressure it was. I confirmed this in the days before the plumber came by reducing the flow on the supply line valve. Consumers should not assume that anything is on the truck. The representatives of a 100+ year old company had no pressure gauge -- to test the current water...
  19. starfieldroad

for the PRV and tank: are there brands or configurations I should prefer / demand? A gauge on each side of the PRV is the way to go, right? Does it make sense shopping for these myself (online or otherwise) and just having the plumber on hand for the install?
  20. starfieldroad

hahaha. thanks for the vivid imagery guys. jinx. the water hammer is impressive at times. we use low flow showerheads so it's not like we're pressure washing ourselves. I'll talk to our plumber about getting a PRV and thermal exp tank installed. might not be a bad idea to verify the...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks