Search results

1. Boerdoc

Can I use a CSV on this without pulling the pump?

I am using my well to fill the cistern and it is then pumped into the house by a separate pump in the cistern. The pump in the well is a 3/4 hp 15 gpm pump 80 feet down. The pressure switch in the cellar controls when the cistern needs water and turns on the pump. I would like to put in a CSV to...
  2. Boerdoc

Troubleshooting lack of water from well.

I have an 80 foot deep well that has never run so low in 10 years that I have been here. It feeds into a 4000 gal cistern that is then pumped into the house. What is the process of evaluating water pumping capacity, not just gallons per minute but also total draw down? This well has an old...
  3. Boerdoc

Cistern water level indicator

We have a 4000 gal. cistern (2x2000) and last night we ran out of water unexpectedly. We were doing lots of irrigating and our wells could not keep up I guess. I would like to install a water level indicator that would tell me when we are low or when we need to stop the irrigating. We have a...
  4. Boerdoc

Cistern pump tripping breaker.

I have a 1/2 hp 10 gpm pump in my 4000 gallon cistern. When the pressure switch activates the breaker trips. This pump is protected by a pumptec which does not trip. I OHMed the pump and it measured 5 ohms, normal for this pump. I switched the breaker with the one from the deep well, (same...
  5. Boerdoc

Do you pump into a cistern with a dole valve or just let it flow?

I have a simple question with complicated variables. My question is "should I use a dole valve in my cistern and if so, what GPM should I use". The variables are as follows. I have a 1000 gal cistern that stores water for the house. It has a 10 gpm betta flo feeding the house and...
  6. Boerdoc

How to stop siphoning?

I live on a hillside. I am using a cistern and irrigation jet pump to water a large lawn. My problem is that the lawn is below the water level of the cistern and even when the pump is not on it siphons past the foot valve. The water level difference is about 8 ft. BTW, When we did not...
  7. Boerdoc

Pressure switch problem??

I just installed a new Square D 60-40 psi pressure switch and for the second time in the 10 days that it has been installed it has let the pressure drop to 0. When I flip the Start lever a few times and hold it at "start" it immediately jumps to 40 psi and builds to 60 right away. Is the...
  8. Boerdoc

Water softener salt and water level

Just a quick one. How high should the salt level and the water level be? maximum. My salt tank is 18-24 inches square ands about 48 in. high. When the salt gets low I can reach my hand down and feel that the water is about 12 inches deep. Just curious if this is normal. I guess I could get...
  9. Boerdoc

Resin in Backwash? Is this normal?

I have had a softener for about a month. It backwashes into a dry well. Out of curiosity I drained it into a 5 gal bucket on top of the dry well to see what it looks like. I noticed that on the bottom of the bucket there was maybe 1/8-1/4 inch resin. Normal or not? The color of the backwash...
  10. Boerdoc

Sump pump or ?

I have my softener on order. (Thanks Gary) I am looking at my situation for the drain line. my softener must go in the cellar. It is more of a root cellar (10x20feet) than a basement. during the spring we have a higher water table and we are on the side of a hill. So one side of the cellar...
  11. Boerdoc

Water questions for the electrical experts!!!

I posted this in pump, well and water softener forum. They suggested to give electrical a try. What it boils down to is that I have had 2 problems. First, I have had some blue/green staining from a tub that was slowly leaking. Also, I had a series of pinholes in one of my copper pipes...
  12. Boerdoc

Blue stain in tub. Not acid water. Electrolysis?

Recently we had a small drip in one tub that left an aqua blue stain on the porcelain. I thought that it might be acidic water degrading the copper. When I tested the water 4 separate times the ph was 6.5-7.0. ( we have 2 wells that we can switch between and I tested at the well and inside...
  13. Boerdoc

Opinion needed. Water system design

This is my design for my water system. I am open for suggestions. At present the well supplies the house and the irrigation directly. I am adding the cistern part of the system. Since I had an empty cistern and I needed more storage capacity (The well only puts out 1.1 gal/min but is 500...
  14. Boerdoc

Catalytic and/or magnetic water contitioners/softeners

I have had my well water tested and the hardness was 120 in one well and 150 in the other well. All other issues were acceptable (iron, nitrate ph, lead etc.). I searched the forum extensively and can't seem to find any information on the effectiveness or lack of effectiveness of Magnetic...
  15. Boerdoc

2 wells - How do you switch power easily?

I have 2 wells that I am in the process of determining which to use for the house( testing water quality, output and such). Both electrical connections for the wells are in the cellar where the pressure switch is. Right now I have to turn off the circuit breaker and manually connect the...
  16. Boerdoc

Well water testing?

Are any of the online water testing services useful? reliable and accurate. It seems that it costs about $150.00 for a test. http://www.discovertesting.com/products/display_products.sd?iid=27&catid=7&loc=show&headTitle=Drinking%20Water%20Full%20Lab%20Analysis%20Kit Are there any other...
  17. Boerdoc

CSV and pressure tanks question

I installed a new well pump and was going to use it to fill a cistern and then pump into the house from there and use a cycle stop valve in the cistern. My plans changed and I will use the cistern for irrigation and not household water. I want to place a CSV in the well just below the...
  18. Boerdoc

New well success! and question

With the help of several members of this forum I have successfully placed my well pump in an old well. (Never been used). I placed it 485 ft. down in a 6 in. casing with 200 psi. poly. Amazingly it only took an hour or so to place it including taping the wire to the poly. When we first...
  19. Boerdoc

Submersible pump in cistern mounting/installation

What is the best way to install a submersible pump in the cistern? Vertical, horizontal? How do you support it? Will the torque of start/stop cycle loosen connections if pvc is used to connect to the outlet (which is 1" threaded grey pvc)? do you clamp or mount the motor to something or is...
  20. Boerdoc

Hose clamp for well pump+ other ?s.

I have not found good hose clamps at the local HD and Lowes. The ones there are weak. I will be placing a pump 480 feet down with poly. What recomendations or tips for the connections? I have seen mention of extended length barb fittings. Where (Home cheapo?) do you get them? What are...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks