Search results

1. hmk123

AFCI breakers tripping every 7 days

It is getting even stranger. 8 days ago (not yesterday but the Sunday before) we changed out all 3 breakers. The 2 AFCIs for the bedroom were changed back from 20Amp to 15Amp (what they originally were). Actually one of them was switched to a regular breaker (the one for the recepticles). The...
  2. hmk123

Yes, it is on the seventh day. So it's always one day less in the week. If it happens on a Sunday, next week it is a Saturday (but when I reset during that week, it will "wait" seven days again). Basically exactly when the week is over. I will reset one today. Actually, was thinking of swapping...
  3. hmk123

I agree. Unfortunately I don't know much about that. Where do I learn about the common leg? I guess I will google it :-) And what could cause that?
  4. hmk123

I did that two weeks ago. I turned off the one with the receptacles and that time the lights tripped. So it is either one of them (or both if both are turned on) that trip exactly 7 days later.
  5. hmk123

Sorry, no update last week because I forgot to pay attention. But both tripped again at the same time. I didn't realize it right away. So I did reset both breakers about 30 minutes later. Tonight, about 15 before they were supposed to trip, I turned off the other one (this is the circuit for the...
  6. hmk123

The fridge was on the circuit that I turned off a few minutes before the one with the lights tripped. Also, the two breakers already did this when there were no appliances in the room (only the occasional tool usage). The lights have been in there ever since it has been doing this. I just don't...
  7. hmk123

Yes, that settop box was on that circuit that was turned off. And yes, there are 3 other of their boxes in the house.
  8. hmk123

Sorry, we had visitors so I wasn't on here. It did trip again yesterday (Saturday). Both always trip at the same time. So this time, five minutes before I turned off the one to the plugs. Sure enought at exactly 8:48pm last night the other one tripped. So that breaker is supposed to only feed...
  9. hmk123

Just checked... Those sensors are on a different, non-AFCI breaker.
  10. hmk123

One other things. The bathroom has Occupant Sensors. Even though I think they are all on the one AFCI that is NOT tripping I need to double check that. I just looked up some models on the Internet and it seems like they have a learning function on room usage. Some seem to adjust weekly...
  11. hmk123

Thanks for the great help guys! So unfortunately am not so familiar with some of the terms and so can only assume what a "leg" means. There is one over the ground power feed into the house. The other AFCIs are on the main, original panel which also has the meter next to them. We then added one...
  12. hmk123

By the way, I wasn't aware of this at first but the main panel for the original part of the house has AFCIs for the bedrooms as well and those are not tripping.
  13. hmk123

I guess I should call the power company. We still have over the ground wiring. So I think we might share a power transfomer. But if the source of the problem is on the input side, how does it "know" when I reset the breaker? Guess next time I should wait ten minutes and see if it shifts by that...
  14. hmk123

Ok, today we switched out the dimmers for regular switches (without turning off the breaker). Tonight it did it again. 7 days to the minute. To be that precise must there not be something on there that keeps track of time? There is nothing inside the panel like that or is there? This is really...
  15. hmk123

Yes, there is room in the panel. That seems like a good idea and I should do that. My contractor mentioned something like that, too. Also, as far as I know they do not do remote meter reading (yet). I think it needs to be something though that gets reset when resetting the AFCI breakers.
  16. hmk123

So it is on the 7th day. Which means if it happens next on Sunday, the next time after that it will do it on Saturday. And when noone was living there we did not always reset it right away. So then again, it did it only seven days after the reset. Maybe it is indeed some capacitor that is...
  17. hmk123

I also just found out that there is an outside receptacle on the one breaker and it is a GFCI receptacle. Can that cause problems? Then again, I would not assume it to trip after exactly 7 days. Right now I suspect the dimmers to be the problem.
  18. hmk123

We do not have any household automation installed. But I will check to see if the dimmers could be controller remotely. Do they contain any circuits? Using extension cords is a good idea. I think we will try that. What about the dimemrs? Do they need to be uninstalled? They seem to have a...
  19. hmk123

Yes, they do both break at the same time. There are three AFCIs in the panel. The two outer ones break at the same time. The middle one stays. They used to be all 15s and we replaced the two outer ones with 20s. The one in the middle is actually used for the 2 outlets in the bathroom. One would...
  20. hmk123

We have a new addition to our house with its own subpanel. Since it is a bedroom the outlets and lights are on their own two 20Amp AFCI breakers. We now narrowed it down to these two AFCI breakers tripping every 7 days at roughly the same time (from the time they were last reset). In the...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks