Search results

1. BrooklynJon

Global Warming, now Water Shortage

The Prius Thermos So THAT'S what the thermos is for. I've been using it for my coffee! As far as diesels are concerned, some do get better mileage on the highway than my Prius (although my 48 mpg on that trip to Hilton Head wasn't too shabby). But the problem is that diesel engines give...
  2. BrooklynJon

My Prius IIRC, I paid around 23-24K in December '04 for my 2005 Prius. It had a couple of options which added around $1000 to the price, and I didn't have to pay a markup (I did have to wait 11 months, tho'). Then, of course, there were tax incentives which probably came to around 3000-4000...
  3. BrooklynJon

Prius Funny, I can't get a sheet of drywall in my Prius, either. But it does accelerate like a M.F. from a dead stop, which works for me in my urban environment. On a road trip to South Carolina, I got 48 mpg for the trip while cruising at 90 mph (with my three ladies and all their stuff in...
  4. BrooklynJon

Greenhouses Greenhouses work by preventing Convection-based heat loss into the atmosphere. But the Earth cannot gain or lose heat by convection since it is in space, which has precious little mass. It can't gain or lose heat by conduction either, for the same reason. If the global...
  5. BrooklynJon

Mark, Your with the People's Front of Judea? Those kneebiters? I'm with the Judean People's Front!
  6. BrooklynJon

Great Global Warming Swindle Terry, Yes, it's a very interesting program. It is somewhat biased, but it makes some important points, and highlights the other side of the argument that is usually suppressed for political reasons.
  7. BrooklynJon

Cass, Presumably with water in short supply, people will be dehydrated and will pee less. It's a self-limiting problem! Personally, I think it's lawns that are the bigger offender. Mark, Is it purely a coincidence or are you imitating Dennis in "Monte Python and the Holy Grail" on...
  8. BrooklynJon

Careful with that 9mm! You may chip or abrade some paint with it, and THEN you'll be in trouble!
  9. BrooklynJon

Wow! And we say the People's Republic of New York is bad!
  10. BrooklynJon

Keep the Mustang! You may make a better environmental change by trading in your gas lawnmower for an electric or manual one, or even better, by getting rid of your grass and planting a groundcover that doesn't need to be watered or mowed...
  11. BrooklynJon

Well, as a Democrat, I'll grant that the choice we were given in 2004 was less than scintillating, from both parties. And I'll also agree that - given that an absence of evidence is not evidence of absence - it is reasonable to make reasonable changes in consideration of global warming. This...
  12. BrooklynJon

Florida Orange You may be right about that global climate change skeptic being funded by industry. But then again, those scientists peddling the party line are compromised as well. Check this out...
  13. BrooklynJon

Moving Washer dryer to Upstairs Bath

My third floor W/D regrets Here's another potential monkey wrench for ya. I put my laundry room on the third floor of my house when I renovated. I didn't consider what would happen to my house when the thing goes into the spin cycle. Suffice to say, my house shakes like a M.F. My top...
  14. BrooklynJon

Mark, I'm sorry if I upset you... Which I assume I must have if you're calling me Archie Bunker. Let's review: I'm a registered Democrat who voted for Al Gore, drives a Prius three miles each way to work, and donates money to Greenpeace. As for my alleged intolerance, I happen to live -...
  15. BrooklynJon

hanging a tv over a fireplace

Why not just put the TV INSIDE the fireplace. Then get a DVD of a fire...
  16. BrooklynJon

Nobel Prize? Bah! I'm not so impressed with Al Gore's Nobel Prize. #1) It's totally political - it's just about bashing Bush. #2) It's an honor he shares with Yasser Arafat, which is not really very good company. In any event, it's just another example of how global warmingism is not...
  17. BrooklynJon

Bosun, What drives ME nuts is how willing people are to accept the party line in climate research, but how resistant they are to accept the results of medical research. There can be reams of data on soem topic or another, but how many people ignore that and go to "alternative" providers to...
  18. BrooklynJon

Cancer and genetics Cookie, It depends on the cancer. Cancer is a heterogeneous disease. Some cancers are mostly genetic based (e.g. neuroblastoma). Some are environmental (e.g. mesothelioma). Some are infectious (e.g. cervical carcinoma).
  19. BrooklynJon

Bosun, Of course the absence of evidence is not evidence of absence. There may be global warming. And people may be the cause of it. Or not. There may be global cooling. And people may be the cause of it. Or not. Open scientific research, over time, will probably get to the bottom...
  20. BrooklynJon

Selecting a condensing gas boiler

Thanks. Any experience with the Viessmann Vitodens 200?
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks