Search results

1. Charles2

Can toilet parts smell?

An experienced, professional plumber recently rebuilt my girlfriend's toilet tank with I guess mostly Fluidmaster parts. Fill valve, flush valve, flapper and foam flapper float. Now the bathroom has kind of a mildew smell. She's already filled the tub and lav traps to be sure they aren't dry.
  2. Charles2

Daikin Quaternity

Are there any minisplit heat pumps now available that control humidity as well or better than Daikin's Quaternity?
  3. Charles2

Troubleshooting Bradford White Model # M250S6DS2

Trying to figure out why it's running out of hot water too quickly. Went thru all of the element and thermostat checks in the service manual (at http://www.bradfordwhite.com/sites/default/files/product_literature/238-47104-00A.pdf ), but everything checks out OK. Drained some water from it to...
  4. Charles2

Mansfield #160 tank

It's about a dozen years old and it's running long past when it should have stopped after it's flushed. It has no flapper, it's a plunger design. How do you diagnose and repair?
  5. Charles2

Toto CST 743S flapper

How many years do you expect it to last? Does it shrink or get stiff with age? If it's too stiff to remove the same way it was installed, how do you recommend removing it?
  6. Charles2

Is HPWH reliability still an issue?

I'm seeing a lot of negative feedback on the reliability of HPWH's. Are they much more prone to problems than straight resistance heaters? If you had to choose a 50-gallon domestic model, what would you choose?
  7. Charles2

Odd size pipe plug

I need a nominal 6" diameter inside-of-pipe plug with a working range that goes down to 5.5" diameter. Cherne Gripper and IPS Test-Tite don't qualify. The seal needs to be long-term and durable, but there is no need to resist pressure. What are my options, if any?
  8. Charles2

Peerless single handle kitchen faucet

This faucet was installed about 10 years ago, and is probably the cheapest one they made. It's dripping, so I wanted to replace these seats and springs: https://www.deltafaucet.com/parts/product/RP4993.html . I stuck a 1/8" allen wrench in the index hole, but the wrench deformed before the screw...
  9. Charles2

scorpions

Is is likely or even possible for scorpions to enter buildings through drains?
  10. Charles2

Moentrol Legend acrylic index button?

It's definitely a Moentrol dating from 1979, and Moen says it's a Legend and calls the part a "handle insert." But it's no longer available. In the photos, the one on the left is part #15613, which is the wrong color and has an O-ring. The part on the right is what I need; it has no O-ring but...
  11. Charles2

Old Moen single handle kitchen faucet

It dates from about 1980 but I can't find the specific model # on Moen's website. The end of the handle looks triangular, if that helps. I've replaced the cartridge a couple of times over its service life, once with brass and again with plastic. Now it's dripping again. Does anyone make a...
  12. Charles2

ADA bath faucet as grab bar

Anybody know whether there exist any ADA-compliant lav faucets that have spouts strong enough to be treated like grab bars? Need 4" center set.
  13. Charles2

Water spot size?

Is there a list somewhere of water spot sizes? Looking for a good performing, reliable, elongated gravity flush ADA model with the deepest and widest water spot.
  14. Charles2

wirelessly communicating thermostats

Current thermostat for a Ruud 2.5 ton heat pump is a broken Braeburn and will be replaced on Friday. It's downstairs, and the single return is upstairs. Does there exist a pair of thermostats that communicate wirelessly, with the downstairs stat wired in the usual manner and the upstairs stat...
  15. Charles2

escutcheon set screws

Is there any good reason to prefer escutcheons with set screws?
  16. Charles2

covering joint where sheet vinyl floor meets tiled shower curb

Is there a super-long lasting, good looking product that can do this? Typical self-adhesive plastic products just don't adhere long-term.
  17. Charles2

shower head diverter valve

Got a request from an elderly couple who have a diverter valve installed on their shower arm so they can switch as desired from the stationary shower to the hand-held shower. It's a nice heavy chromed brass, but the sliding pins are too hard for them to press and a lot of water leaks around the...
  18. Charles2

Durable water heater flex washers

I've noticed that the rubber washers that come with corrugated water heater supplies deteriorate in just a few years. Are y'all aware of washers that can take the heat for the life of the heater?
  19. Charles2

Foam block under water heater?

Does it cause any problems to put a block of insulating foam under a 50-gallon water heater before installing it? If not, what density is required?
  20. Charles2

50% increase of water consumption

I have an elderly couple who last month suddenly saw a 50% increase in their home water usage, according to the city water authority. It was about a 3000 gallon increase. The increased usage level has maintained this month. Yet they deny using substantially more water than they were in the...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks