Search results

1. Billy_Bob

Why is a ground wire required from a generator?

Why is a ground wire required from a generator to a building's main electric panel, yet no ground wire is provided from the electric company's transformer? Why does the electric company not provide a ground wire either with a pole mounted transformer or a pad mounted transformer on the...
  2. Billy_Bob

This home is ready for inspection...

Ready for the inspector! Think this will pass? More... (Don't be drinking coffee when you look at these pictures, else might get a bit on the keyboard!) http://www.ashireporter.org/articles/articles.aspx?id=1560
  3. Billy_Bob

Stud Shoes - Where to buy?

I've not found any stud shoes or heavy duty stud shoes at the usual lumber yards in my area. Is this something I would need to go to a plumbing supply for? I'm in Oregon. Anyone know if Ferguson has these? Picture of stud shoes... http://www.strongtie.com/products/connectors/HSS-SS.asp
  4. Billy_Bob

Sewer: Gasketed PVC to ABS?

I currently have green gasketed PVC for my sewer underground (fairly new) going to old cast iron sewer pipe partly underground, then going into the crawlspace under my house. I'm going to rip out all the old cast iron stuff and replace it with ABS. (I've read about transitioning from one...
  5. Billy_Bob

Shop vacuum cleaned my drain!

As I discussed on another topic, I got some dirt in my bathtub which went into the trap and this has made the water drain slowly. I was wondering how I could get the dirt out of the trap... Anyway I finally started ripping out walls in my bathroom and made a big mess - got out the shop vac...
  6. Billy_Bob

W/H tank longevity and anode rod replacement?

If I were to replace the anode rod in an electric water heater every so many years, would the water heater tank last forever? How often should I replace the anode rod in my electric water heater? (BTW I used an impact wrench as suggested and my anode rod came right out! Thanks.)
  7. Billy_Bob

Thinking smart about plumbing design...

Seems to me plumbing is the way it has been forever and no one ever thinks about redesigning things for problems which happen again and again and again... How about this... Drain traps get clogged all the time. How about a shut off valve at the drain and a water pipe connected below the...
  8. Billy_Bob

Dirt in bathtub trap - Push on or vacuum out?

I'm digging out the crawl space under my bathroom and am getting lots of dirt in my bathtub trap. Partly from shoveling dirt over the tub and partly from my being quite dirty and taking showers each day. Anyway more and more dirt is getting flushed down the tub drain and it is draining slower...
  9. Billy_Bob

Large vent pipe up through 2 x 4 top plate

I want to install a large 4" vent pipe up through a 2 x 4 stud wall top plate and then up through the roof... The wall in question is an outside bearing wall. But code says you can only cut a 40% hole in a bearing wall. I assume this also means the top plates of a bearing wall? Anyway...
  10. Billy_Bob

Replacing water heater anode rods?

What is the best water heater anode rod for city water which is chlorinated? (Aluminum, magnesium?) My city water is river water and comes from melting snow in the mountains not too far away. Also I have a Rheem water heater with an anode rod which seems impossible to unscrew. (Stuck - I...
  11. Billy_Bob

Bathtub drain design - Fastest draining?

Seems to me that things are the way they are because they have always been that way! Like shower heads installed at chin height! Or small bathtub drains which take forever to drain the tub... I'm going to install a new bathtub, so.... Question 1: Do they make bathtubs with a larger...
  12. Billy_Bob

Code and cutting studs

I see in my handy plumbing code book that is some situations, you can cut away up to 40% of a wood stud for a pipe... But can I cut away more than that and then reinforce the stud in some way? Like maybe install a metal bracket over the end which is cut to give the stud back its structural...
  13. Billy_Bob

Direction of water flow stickers for pipe?

Where do you buy those stickers you place on pipes which have arrows indicating the direction of flow?
  14. Billy_Bob

CPVC - Any problems with using this?

I'm thinking of using CPVC to replace some of my existing galvanized pipe. I have been told to use copper. My question is: Is there anything wrong with using CPVC? Would I later regret using CPVC for some reason?
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks