Search results

1. adb

Instruction

This is a fun way to practice and learn on your own. You will spend about $15-20 on materials, and have a bit of practice to show for it. Go buy eight 45-degree elbows (not street), a five-foot length of pipe, a tee, and a female pipe-thread adapter. All in copper, all 1/2". You will also...
  2. adb

Some Major Kitchen Sink Issues

Just out of curiosity.... After dumping 555 gallons of caustic goo down your kitchen sink drain, and running the drainmaster (the brand name of the pressure-clearing bladders I own; there are others) for two hours, your drain still drains slowly. While the P-trap was off, did you happen to...
  3. adb

Can you sweat???

Why risk melting an unknown goo into your water supply when alternatives without that risk are readily available? The biggest issue here isn't the effectiveness of the epoxy, but the effects of getting it nice and toasty in the water lines. Bad idea. I don't know what the melting point of...
  4. adb

Can you sweat???

If the pipes were not undersized, and your water is not aggressive, I'd tend to believe that (2) was indeed the case. If there's enough pipe accessible out of the wall or floor, lightly scuff the outside clean with plumber's roll or a tubing brush, install some nice quarter-turn compression...
  5. adb

Replacing cast iron sewer with plastic

One bad apple does not ruin the whole orchard. You had a bad experience. Was the guy that came to snake your sewer a plumber? Or a "drain cleaner"? There's a difference--one goes through several years of apprenticeship, the other goes through a few minutes of training. One is a...
  6. adb

Can you sweat???

Too late--he already cut the pipe :) That said, melting away some of the epoxy with the torch could enable water to intrude between the epoxy and the copper, causing further delamination. At a minimum, it would expose that specific area to corrosion or erosion. Also, I just noticed the...
  7. adb

Can you sweat???

I would be hesitant to solder epoxy-lined copper, for fear of melting the epoxy near the joint. It might not be a problem, but who knows where it would go and what it would do. This sounds like the ideal situation for a Sharkbite coupler. No heat to melt the lining off the existing pipe...
  8. adb

HELP!! Shower not draining!!

(1) Did it ever drain last night? (2) Can you take a picture of the drain plumbing underneath and put it up? It would have to be very incorrect (e.g. running uphill) not to drain at all. Not impossible, but it would have to be a colossal screw-up. It sounds more likely to be a clog . ...
  9. adb

venting with ejector pit system in basement

It sounds from the original post like the original poster is trying to avoid tying to the main stack at all due to logistical concerns. (30' run across the corner of the living room) What nobody seems to be able to figure out is what his plumber was telling him. After re-reading the...
  10. adb

Bathroom addition (New construction) - Toilet vent

It looks from the pictures like this would probably all tuck nicely into one joist bay and work rather elegantly. One quick word of warning, though--if anything does have to pass through the joists, check the manufacturer's tables (looks like you have TJI-I think Weyerhauser makes the tables...
  11. adb

Is the ceiling underneath finished or accessible? (And do you own a small home drain snake?) Whatever you do, don't pour anything down it (e.g. chemical drain cleaners/openers).
  12. adb

If it's not draining at all, step 1 would be to pop the strainer off and see if there's anything simple that's visible. For example, if someone covered the drain stub with duct tape during construction and forgot to take it off (not that that has ever happened . . .).
  13. adb

venting with ejector pit system in basement

I second Redwood's suggestion. If wall access to run a dedicated vent is available, there is no reason a dedicated vent would not work. As long as it is properly sized and connected, it will provide the necessary relief air to the ejector. It would also be used to vent all of the fixture...
  14. adb

Reason for using primer on PVC joints

The cleaner and the primer are not exactly the same, chemically or in function. The MSDS for Oatey's cleaner lists the ingredients as 60-100% MEK (methyl ethyl ketone), 15-40% acetone MSDS for primer lists the ingredients as 60%-100 acetone, 0-20% MEK, 0-20% tetrahydrofuran, 3-10%...
  15. adb

New Kitchen Sink w/slots for insta-hot

I wonder if one could successfully feed a Badger 1 (sliced into quadrants on the bandsaw to make it fit into the drain) through an Evolution Excel. Sort of like the Blendtec commercials. I vote yes.
  16. adb

New Kitchen Sink w/slots for insta-hot

As a garbage disposal junkie, I concur wholeheartedly (I know I know, you don't like the Badger 5 :)). The Evolution series includes a batch feed model, the Evolution Cover Control, which should satisfy the original poster's safety concerns. I think it's about $250. The lid triggers a...
  17. adb

"S" trap

If the drain stub comes out of the wall horizontally, the trap for your sink is probably a p-trap (unless you have an s-trap ending in a 90 down near the floor for some odd reason). If it is, ignore the aforementioned issues with venting s-traps.
  18. adb

Advice - Tankless Water Heaters !

IMO the best means of on-demand tankless water heating is via a dedicated domestic coil in a heating boiler. Absent that, get a properly sized high-efficiency tank from BW and call it a day.
  19. adb

"S" trap

While any trap is apart for an extended period of time, plug the drain to prevent dangerous sewer gases from entering your home. That is the purpose the water that remains in the trap when it is attached serves. That said, S-traps are problematic because they cannot be vented properly. When...
  20. adb

garburator

My in-laws have a Badger 5 (non-XP) in a second kitchen 500 yards from the Atlantic Ocean. The environment down there rusts powder-coated metal furniture in a year, stainless gas grills in two. The ISE Badger 5 has been used for all manner of fish-cleaning remnants and general kitchen cleanup...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks