Search results

1. DallasDIY

Best way to fix defective fiberglass tub drain opening?

Chad, it seems you might get a better seal if you could smooth out that surface where some of the fibers have gotten close to the drain hole. Not sure how much working room you have in that space, but have you considered using a disk/random-orbit sander to flatten out that surface where the...
  2. DallasDIY

Changing Order of Sprinkler Stations

As an alternative if you don't want to switch the wires, perhaps treat this as four separate programs running back-to-back. (Assumes you have at least four programs available on your controller and you are not running different programs at different times during the day or else running different...
  3. DallasDIY

Help with shower design....

We have a 10' ceiling in our master bathroom. The walk-in shower is the same height although it does have an archway entrance to the drying area and then a turn to the left for the shower. (There is a full-length tile bench and shampoo bottle inset on the wall across from the shower head. The...
  4. DallasDIY

Unneeded natural gas stub

I am quite comfortable and capable with just about any DIY project and have done plenty of carpentry, plumbing and electrical through the years. This is just the first house with natural gas we've owned so just being cautious. I cut out some drywall around the stub and there is an elbow...
  5. DallasDIY

Unneeded natural gas stub

We are getting a new electric double oven for our kitchen. I removed the old electric single oven and microwave plus the cabinet that held them. A new, wider cabinet is being installed early next week. After ripping out the old cabinet, I discovered there is a natural gas stub with a...
  6. DallasDIY

Tub Spout Removal

I had a similar issue today while replacing the trim fixtures in four tubs/showers at my house. Most tub spouts spun off by hand. However, the spout for the garden tub in my master bath had the 1/2 screw-on nipple type spout (4" off the wall) and 15 years of somewhat hard water had bonded that...
  7. DallasDIY

Where's the water coming from?

Ron, Thanks for the reply. I suspected the single-handles might have been the source. The only places I have active single-handle faucets right now are on my tub and shower stall in the master bath. The bathroom sinks are all two-handle faucets. Kitchen sink and one of the bath sinks...
  8. DallasDIY

Where's the water coming from?

I'm curious about something and could probably find the answer with enough searching but it's late and I'm too tired to work at it. My water heater started leaking this weekend and I'll pick up a new one first thing Monday morning. Last night, I shut off the water supply to the house, cut...
  9. DallasDIY

Repairing Bathroom Subfloor

More photos More pix...
  10. DallasDIY

All finished!!! Well, I figured I ought to put a final note on here that the project is complete. With travel schedule, I had to do it over several weekends. Additionally, I went ahead with doing vinyl instead of tile and just had a local guy install it for $50 since he was replacing a...
  11. DallasDIY

Closet flange/Waste pipe overlap

Well, I guess there ARE some stops on the inside of the flange--three small ones around the edge to stop the waste pipe. Fortunately, I was well below those stops with the top of the waste pipe. The flange slipped on like butter and I held the flange as close as I could to flat/flush on...
  12. DallasDIY

The pipe and the flange are extremely clean with no burrs or extraneous items. There is no "stop" (except for the flange hitting flush on the floor) and all the measurements are fine and the fit will be okay--not too long and not too short. Once I reach floor level, I'll hold the flange firmly...
  13. DallasDIY

I'm posting this so I only have to do this once. I have another thread running about my subfloor replacement. I've done all the subfloor and laid the new vinyl. The top of the 3" waste pipe is 3/4" below the finished floor level. I have a stainless steel 4x3 Sioux Chief closet flange...
  14. DallasDIY

Questions about re-installing a toilet after reflooring

This is just a personal preference issue but, when I've pulled and reset any of my toilets, I've always separated the bowl and the tank. Having less weight on the back to wrestle with has made it easier for me to assure I get the bowl square on the flange when I set it down. For the he-men who...
  15. DallasDIY

Jim, thanks for the reminder about the Ram-Bit. I called Economy Plumbing Supply here in Dallas and they had a similar item called the Socket Saver by Plumbest/Jones Stephens Corp and it was only $22 plus tax. (UPC 717510443004). I think it is probably available at a nearby Do It Best...
  16. DallasDIY

Well, I had a bit of good fortune when I ripped up the subfloor. The floor trust behind the toilet was not in the next room on a 24" center. They actually put one on a 13" center that allowed me to cut the OSB partway across the top of the truss and not have to go all the way to the wall...
  17. DallasDIY

It's a 3" pipe with a 4x3 flange fused around the outside. I'll leave the gap around the new pipe when I set the new flooring.
  18. DallasDIY

On Friday, I'm going to pull up a section of the OSB about 18" wide and from the left hand floor truss to about halfway between the current closet flange and the back wall. This will be around 30". As loafer said, I doubt there's a lot of room to move the flange out but I'll know better once I...
  19. DallasDIY

garburator

Well, my will is up-to-date. But I do sleep with one eye open.
  20. DallasDIY

garburator

Since you've already made your purchase and installed it, I know this is like locking the barn door after the horse is gone. However, personal experience has shown me that buying the largest disposal you can afford is much better in the long run. When our current house was built, we had a...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks