Search results

1. Fistor

My light switch reversed... polarity???

Ah, great point hehe, I'll check when I get home - thnx for quick reply.
  2. Fistor

My light switch reversed... polarity???

Hi all - A while since I've been here, but I have a strange "problem", if you will, that popped up a few weeks ago... In my kitchen, I have a lightswitch that operates a single, overhead light (a fluorescent bank). I've lived in this house now for 6 years, and until a few weeks ago...
  3. Fistor

Shower handle sticking out too far

Same problem for me, exactly... The issue here is, like some people mentioned, the "instructions" that came with the kit are pictorial only - which is fine, because like the other guy, I too am an engineer, and am used to reading drawings. The problem is, no dimensions whatsoever were...
  4. Fistor

PF retrofit woes...

Regarding your first photo, and the incomplete coverage of the stem, I have the exact same issue on a handle that I am installing - the "adapter" that one is supposed to use for a "thick" wall (i.e.one with tile over cementboard) sticks out way too far. The instructions are just pictures...
  5. Fistor

American Standard Cadet 3 Three Toilet consumer product review

great to know... I'll give it a try... after all, what have I got to lose? The tank was only $88... not too bad, and it'll give me some piece of mind. Thanks for the tip, I'll let you know how it works out!! Carl
  6. Fistor

Good point... my only fear is placing the thing under stress, and it breaks sometime when I'm not home - anyone have that experience? Or, if it is going to break, will it break only when tightening? (mmm... maybe I'm just being paranoid...):(
  7. Fistor

OK, I have attached my tank... it is almost in contact - maybe 1/16 in gap... but I am a little afraid to tighten any more... it got to the point that I had difficulty in my arms tightening any more (using the factory nut driver)... The tank is pretty solid, but not "rock" solid as you...
  8. Fistor

Well, you hit on the weird thing -- there is no tapered end!! One end is "open", and sets into the plastic ring on the bottom of the tank. The other side is flat, supposedly to seat in the bowl portion. I agree with you - something doesn't seem right - my understanding (and you seemed...
  9. Fistor

Floor warming... 120V mat vs. 240V thermostat

Well, there was enough confusion on my part (and some in the replies) that I went ahead and ordered a replacement thermostat - I probably would have anyway, but I wanted the feedback. Yeah, I agree leejo, although if the mat is 120V, then that would be the "limiting factor", would it not...
  10. Fistor

Tank sits too high on spud gasket - ??? Hi All - Just putting in a new toilet - an American Standard Cadet 3 (based on reviews I have read here and general availability where I live). I got a 2-piece version - the round bowl (3011) and a tank (4007). They are both "Cadet 3" line, sold next...
  11. Fistor

Excellent replies guys, they were the kind of feedback I need.... That was the one thing I was really worried about - whether or not the electronic controls (and they are) could handle the difference. I agree with your comment about current draw, but it looks like the specs say that...
  12. Fistor

Hey, thnx Pew, I was hoping someone would say that... not sure why I got the 240-V, but I had thought that since the load was in the mat, maybe my mistake was recoverable... Oh, and yes, I do have the floor sensing one - I already installed the thermostat lead with the mat. Thnx again...
  13. Fistor

Hi all - This is probably an obvious question, but my bathroom is being renovated, and the mat (Honeywell 10-15B-120H) is rated for 120V. A separate 20A circuit was installed for this. The thermostat that was purchased is a Honeywell also (Honeywell HWF1GB-15-240), rated for 240V. Does...
  14. Fistor

lake/ice rink in driveway

The key to prevent frost heave (I assume you refer to this, rather than "swelling soils", which is an entirely different matter) of pavements is proper drainage. You mention "foundation", but I think you are simply referring to the driveway pavement section? (i.e. the base and subbase?)...
  15. Fistor

Drywalling - sand once, or after each coat?

Thanks for all the replies, guys! I decided to go with a minor sanding after the first coat, just to remove the obvious lines and any minor bump, plus a quick overall sand. The second coat is now drying, so we'll see tomorrow how it looks. Because this is my first time drywalling, I plan to...
  16. Fistor

Drywalling - sand once, or after each coat?

Hi - This is probably a silly question, but I have seen differing opinions on drywall sanding... should drywall be sanded after each coat, or only once, after the final (2nd or 3rd) coat of mud? Thnx!
  17. Fistor

Should I connect a 3" or 4" flange to 4-in drain pipe?

Hi - The title says it all. For my toilet installation, in which I am installing a new ABS closet flange, do you recommend that I use a 3-in or 4-in flange (that is the underside diameter of the flange) to connect to the 4-in ABS riser? As I see it, the advantage to using a 4-in ABS is...
  18. Fistor

How to sequence closet flange install vs. CBU

Thanks for the suggestions, guys - sounds like making a slightly larger hole is the way to go - although I take it I should absolutely make sure to leave the hole small enough to provide full support to the underside of (the edge of) the flange. hj, I cut the old pipe because the old flange...
  19. Fistor

How to sequence closet flange install vs. CBU

Hi all - I am replacing the closet flange as part of my bathroom reno, and thought I had everything figured out, but now I am scratching my head about sequencing of installation. Here is my dilemma: - I removed the old flange (was beyond reuse) and the uppermost portion of the old cast...
  20. Fistor

Difference between "thinset" and "dryset" mortar...?

OK, thanks for the detailed explanation, that clears up a lot. My applications at present are for CBU for a tub enclosure, and for CBU for the bathroom floor, over the subfloor and beneath the tile. Thanks again, Carl
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks