Search results

1. Jeff_08

How To Build a Tile Ledger in a Shower?

Would you be opposed to using suction cups to mount the shelf in the corner rather than dealing with tile ledgers? To me that would be easier unless you plan on putting heavy items on it. A company called Alsto sells a teak corner shelf for around $40 that attaches with suction cups.
  2. Jeff_08

Furnace - Slight Delayed Ignition

Ok, I see. It's just the sound isn't consistent and is sometimes loud enough to wonder why it's loud enough to hear from the floor above where the furnace is. It's not often that happens but it does on a regular basis.
  3. Jeff_08

Leaking from the Base

If you shine a flashlight between the tank and bowl, do you see any water there that could be leaking from the tank bolts or the tank to bowl gasket in the center? I had that problem with an old center gasket and after replacing it the dripping was gone. The drips were running down the sides...
  4. Jeff_08

The delay appears to be between the second and third burner (from the ignitor end) and it makes a pop sound when the last 3 ignite...just doesn't seem normal. When I looked it up it sounded like this is called a delayed ignition and some people report it sounding like a gunshot which mine has...
  5. Jeff_08

Delta Tub Spout Stub Length

I was thinking that the length was fine because the spout did touch the tile as it should, but the instructions don't mention a length for that at all. I looked up into the diverter and it halfway covers the opening where the water comes out so I don't know if that has anything to do with it...
  6. Jeff_08

I forgot to mention, it doesn't have a pilot but it has the glow bar ignitor. The ignitor looks fine to me and is being supplied the proper voltage as far as I could tell. The burner alignment and crossover I'm not positive about - when you put the burners back in there are slots to make sure...
  7. Jeff_08

Delta Tub Spout Stub Length

I recently installed a Delta tub/shower faucet and it has a slip on spout that tightens with a set screw. The instructions say to "refer to the instructions included with the spout" but there was no such thing included, and I noticed an issue with the spout after installing it. What happens is...
  8. Jeff_08

I have an American Standard gas furnace (approx 10 yrs. old) that has a slight case of delayed ignition lately. I have only removed the flame sensor to scuff off the buildup and brushed dust out of the burners (after removing them), but those are the only parts I have touched and after putting...
  9. Jeff_08

20 amp rated fan timer on 15 amp circuit?

Thanks for the responses. I was pretty sure my understanding of the amp rating on a timer was correct (I'm not an electrician, though), but I wanted to verify it with others than do electrical work more than I do.
  10. Jeff_08

Cracked Flange/Pipe Repair Options

I actually already found a few plumbers based on recommendations so we'll see how it goes, and if I still need help I'll let you know. I've been working on a few other projects so I'm not looking to have this repaired just yet. Thanks for the offer.
  11. Jeff_08

20 amp rated fan timer on 15 amp circuit?

Hi- I wanted to buy a hardwired wall timer switch for my bathroom's exhaust fan and the hardware store had the one I wanted but most of them are rated for 20 amps. The house is over 30 years old and has a 15 amp supply into the bathroom, and I've looked around and didn't find the exact...
  12. Jeff_08

I have a feeling it's actually PVC since the piping and the majority of the flange are the off-white color and not black. I don't know for sure how the flange became dark in some areas but it's probably due to age and the junk flowing through there.
  13. Jeff_08

That's true, I haven't seen what the process looks like but I would just take it slow and work with a sharp chisel and hope for the best. The pipe runs through a joist not far from the bend which might give some support but that's a good idea. When the old flange is completely removed, would I...
  14. Jeff_08

Ok, I went back and looked again with a bright LED flexlight and I can see that it's glued to the outside of the bend. If I were to try removing this flange myself by "peeling" it away, wouldn't that usually make the outside of the bend too rough to give a good surface to glue a new flange...
  15. Jeff_08

Did a one-piece closet bend and flange ever exist? I looked down along the side of the piping below the flange and I don't see anywhere that looks like it was joined other than at the other end of the bend going toward to the main stack. In the picture above you can see an area below the...
  16. Jeff_08

The more I read, the more I am tempted to try this myself especially if I can use the no hub connection after cutting open the ceiling below. That doesn't sound as difficult as peeling away the old flange as mentioned before. Decisions, decisions...
  17. Jeff_08

It's a bit odd that this one appears to be a two tone sort of color at the flange area, but the piping leading away from it as well as the main stacks are the off-white/cream color so could this be PVC that has discolored or something like that? It's not a consistent color around the flange...
  18. Jeff_08

Oh yeah, I've used that purple primer before for a few smaller projects - can be messy for sure. I honestly didn't know that there was ABS piping and also PVC - it looks similar so I always just called it PVC. I have to learn more about this stuff...
  19. Jeff_08

Drywall to me is very straightforward and I've done a lot of that but avoiding a patched area is always better. It's the solvent welding that I've had mixed results with, so I'd be concerned about that which is critical for leaks. Not sure why, but I do most projects myself and it's plumbing...
  20. Jeff_08

I know what you mean. I like to try fixing thing myself but in this case it's probably better to sit back and let a pro fix it even though it'll cost a lot more. I'll just go with a good plumber to make sure it's done to last. Now to fine one...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks