Search results

1. Marty 1

Hot Hot Hot Water!

Hi: Thanks to all for the advise! Today I fly to Arizona, so tomorrow I'll check out the water heater. Thanks again-Marty.
  2. Marty 1

Hot Hot Hot Water!

I guess you're going without hot water.
  3. Marty 1

Hot Hot Hot Water!

You're right shacko, but replacing the entire water heater in the next few days is not possible. The heater is in a closet that's way to small for a new heater. Marty 1
  4. Marty 1

Hot Hot Hot Water!

Thanks HJ. Yes, I know it's hard to tell from her description what's going on. She recently had all her 50 year old galvanized changed to copper, so maybe that has something to do with it, since that's when the problem started. Marty 1
  5. Marty 1

Hot Hot Hot Water!

Hi: My mom (in her 80's) called me yesterday from Arizona about her 15 year old Rheem hot water heater. It seems that she had to turn it off because even on the lowest setting (vacation setting), the heater is heating up the water way to hot. So, I guess, the burner is staying on all the...
  6. Marty 1

Water Heater Bricks,help?

Hi: Here in California, code requires straps around the water heater to keep it upright in case of a earthquake. Strap your heater to the wall, that way even if a brick cracks or crumbles the heater won't fall over. Marty
  7. Marty 1

Old Hot Water Heater = Legs----New Hot Water Heater = No Legs!

Hi: That's another good question. Right now, there's no doors on the 3 x 4 ft closet the furnace and water heater will be in. The room which the closet is in is 7.5 x 11 ft, although it has a 10 ft ceiling. I'd sure like to put a pair of small doors on the closet, cut holes for vents into...
  8. Marty 1

Hi hj: Yes, I worry about cleaning the intake screens too. The heater will be next to the furnace in a 3'x4' closet, so everything is tight. There's not too much clearance on the sides, but maybe we can pull the heater forward to provide access to the screens. The clearance from side to side...
  9. Marty 1

Hi: Yes, the heater will be in a finished, interior mud room, so a pan is important--I don't want a water leak to ruin the flooring, sub-floor, etc. I might add, that we turn off the heat at night even in the winter, so the mud room is cold during the night and early morning hours. Reading...
  10. Marty 1

Hi: Thanks Cass for the important information about using a metal pan! Anyway, I measured the space, and a square metal pan is the only size ready-made pan I can get that is big enough to hold the 23" 50 gal Rheem water heater, fit in the confined area it has to go in, and leave enough space...
  11. Marty 1

Hi: Thanks to everyone for their information. Here's a few things I didn't mention: 1. The water heater is gas. 2. The new heater is still sitting in the box waiting to be installed in a new part of the house. 3. The old heater is still going (in the old location). So, at this point...
  12. Marty 1

Hi: Our old hot water heater had legs, but the new Rheem heater we bought is legless. Wouldn't it be a good idea to put some sort of blocking or spacers in the pan before the heater is installed? This would raise the heater up a little, in case there was a small leak that might sit in the pan...
  13. Marty 1

water heater distance from wall ?

Hi: You might be able to secure the heater with three straps if the wall configuration is right (ie-- in a closet, alcove, etc. ). Marty
  14. Marty 1

The Inspector Rejected Our Shower Valve!

Hi: Just to let everyone know, the new valves cost about $100 retail, so that's not too bad to keep the two cross handles we originally installed. I'll keep you posted as to how it works. Marty
  15. Marty 1

Hi: Ok, I asked the inspector, and here's what he said to use: 1. You can use a water balancing valve (like the one pictured from srdenny), with our two handled shower valve, but you gotta have an anti-scalding valve too. The two part unit I'm looking at is a TRB-1T - Pressure Balancing...
  16. Marty 1

Hi: First, thanks to everyone for their input. Second, "srdenny"--What does the valve pictured above do? And third, I got a line on a Price Pfister valve with two handles--The left one controls the flow and the right one controls the hot and cold, just like some have mentioned. But...
  17. Marty 1

Boy, I'll drink to that!! Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I think my wife's looking for something on the old fashion side, so maybe the install what's code and then take it out afterwards is the way to go--sure wish we wouldn't have to do that, though. Marty
  18. Marty 1

Hi: In our new addition, the building inspector said we need to have "some sort of new fangled" shower valve, so we'll have to rip out the one we put in and replace it. Ok, he didn't say "new fangled", but what he meant was we'll need one that has an anti-scalding device. I've started looking...
  19. Marty 1

1917 Toilet

Hi: I'm putting in a 1917 Toilet. It's an old two-piece, with the tank mounted to the wall and a short water-closet elbow (2") connected to the bowl. Everything looks ok except the 2"spud washers (they seal the tank and bowl together). Anyone see any problems sealing the tank using new...
  20. Marty 1

Branford White hot water heater

Who makes the Branford White brand hot water heater that Brent Audi mentions in the Whirlpool thread (P. 9). Do thay have any screen clogging problems? Are they really that reliable, and if so, where do I get one? Thanks--Marty
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks