Search results

1. Msehler

Dishwasher drain connection

There is a small blue plug type apparatus directly below (sewer side) where the dishwasher drain is connected. Could this be a back-flow preventer (to prevent sewer from backing into sink or dishwasher)? Is it preferred to run the dishwasher into either the disposal side or the NON-disposal...
  2. Msehler

Dishwasher drain connection

I am replacing my garbage disposal and ran into a question I can't seem to answer easily. I currently have a 50/50 split sink, one side with a disposal (which quit working and started leaking). I got a new insinkerator evolution, 3/4hp to replace the badger 5, 1/2hp. The dishwasher is...
  3. Msehler

Sewer backing up into basement

Sorry for the confusion, but the black drain pipe is NOT ABS, it's the black metal (don't know the correct term for it). So I have the black metal for my main drains down the house, and PVC lines from sinks/etc tapping to them. The last time it clogged was probably a year and a half...
  4. Msehler

Sewer backing up into basement

Sorry for not doing the search prior to posting, but for one, I don't have the time, and two, for some reason the search wouldn't load after I hit enter. I have a house built in 1975 with the black pipe for most of my main drains, PVC leading to them. Today my kitchen sink started to backup...
  5. Msehler

Hose Bib won't turn off (only spins)

It's definitely a boiler-style bib as shown here on the left: http://www.allproducts.com/metal/goodyear/19-brass_cxc_male_boiler-723-l.jpg Why would an inline shutoff make any difference? I'm trying to get it to turn OFF, not ON, which would nulify any inline shutoff to the hose bib, correct?
  6. Msehler

Hose Bib won't turn off (only spins)

Gentlemen (and women), I have a plumbing question for you. First of all my house is built in 1975 in Northeast Kansas (Kansas City metro area). My roommate went to wash his vehicle today and I, later, went to run the hose, which he left on (there was a sprayer-handle on-off on the end of...
  7. Msehler

Ice Maker install

But it IS alright to tap off of the main coming in? (the main shutoff comes in, then goes up into the basement joists, and across basically to the fridge) I've never heard of the water hammer arrester (I looked them up), but I will definitely look into that. Additionally, there is a filter on...
  8. Msehler

Ice Maker install

I was hoping to install my icemaker semi-soon but have read on here that the saddle valves provided with the kits are prone to failure. If I was indeed to put a T off a line, is the main line coming into the house alright (I know from reading on these forums that the pressure will be fine going...
  9. Msehler

Kitchen sink backfeeds

Sorry for the dumb question, but I have very very limited plumbing experience, and it's all getting the water to the house, not getting it out. My house was built in 1975 and the sink is a side by side with garbage disposal. Lately it has been backing up, and when I hit the garbage disposal it...
  10. Msehler

"Jumping" sink

I have a quick question. To start, I am not very versed in plumbing. I have just bought a house (1975) which has all copper pipes. I have soldered on new washer/dryer valves (with extensions), as well as replaced the main seal and drain valve that comes right off the main. The kitchen sink...
  11. Msehler

Conduit Fill Question

I don't know too much about the NEC, but I do substation design and one of the areas is conduit fill for control cables. The NEC probably has a table for 1 conductor (1 cable), 2 conductor, and 3+ conductor. This is because when pulling the cable 2 binds up more than 3, etc, so you can only...
  12. Msehler

Replacing Valve seat

Haha...thanks, guys. I've actually been over there all day (bought the house and am fixing it up before moving in). The solder is NOT a quick fix for leaking threads...the threads are NOT used. It's a 3/4 (or 5/8) threaded fitting with a 1/2" copper that goes INSIDE of it. ANYWAY...I...
  13. Msehler

Replacing Valve seat

I have an on-off valve (like for a hose) just after my main incoming water valve that is leaking. I am trying to replace the seat, but can't seem to get the stem out. I undid the nut holding it on, and unscrewed the valve as far as it will go. Do I keep unscrewing the valve with force...
  14. Msehler

New Breaker Box

I can check the NEC...I have a copy, I just am not a fan of digging through it for hours...I've only looked through it a couple times, and it was a pain...I thought maybe someone knew page numbers, etc from extensive work with it (ie a master electrician). To Bill: Thanks, but between work...
  15. Msehler

New Breaker Box

I am planning on upgrading my current breaker box (100 amp, push-matic style) to a new 200 amp Square D or Siemans box. (The house has a 200A feed). Are there any codes, etc I need to make sure to follow when replacing this box? Can I just call the utility and have them shut it off and back...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks