Search results

1. bigbird

Worried about toilet installation

I just went through this: 1) If the framing under the toilet is water saturated and rotting, obviously cut out the floor, and box frame and place new plywood around where the waste pipe and flange would go. You'll have to cut the waste pipe and then use a coupler to reattach the waste...
  2. bigbird

Questions about re-installing a toilet after reflooring

Following the posted advice, I used a 3/8" flange spacer to bring the flange above the new floor level, installed a new wax ring onto the flange, lowered the toilet straight down onto the closet bolts, pushed gently straight down with no rocking, evenly tightened the closet nuts slowly and...
  3. bigbird

I pulled the toilet this morning, didn't separate the tank and bowl. It wasn't that heavy. I did take off the tank cover but left the seat bolted on. The wax ring stayed with the floor flange and there was a bit of wax on the horn that I had my wife scrape off as I held the toilet tilted. New...
  4. bigbird

Yes, I just bought an adapter in case the new flooring is higher than the existing flange. It's called an adjustable closet flange and it's 3/8" thick. You could always buy two and piggyback them for extra thickness.
  5. bigbird

I will be lifting my American Standard Cadet 3 to put new linoleum in the bathroom. The new linoleum will be laid over the old. Questions: 1) Do I need to separate the tank and bowl before lifting the toilet, or can I remove it and reinstall it as 1 piece? 2) What's better, a double wax ring...
  6. bigbird

Conflicting advice on tub replacement

I can't speak for the US, but in Canada a company called FIAT (owned by Crane) and a company called MAXX produce reno 3 piece acrylic tub/shower units that have overlapping seams that require NO caulking. There is a simple latch system to hold the 3 pieces together, and a factory applied...
  7. bigbird

MOEN Faucet Quality/Reliability

I have found that Moen cartridges get stiff and don't operate smoothly after 1-2 years of service, faster in areas of harder water. Their finishes are very good, they stay shiny after many years. The plastic cap covering the screw to get at the cartridge will discolor and get moldy very easily...
  8. bigbird

TOTO Neorest 500 toilet product review and comments. MS950CG

One word sums up this toilet....Wow! If I could afford one it would be in my ensuite tomorrow.
  9. bigbird

Jacuzzi Question

Sounds like he didn't wire it back up properly. If the pump hums and doesn't turn I would suggest one of two things: 1) He didn't wire it back up for 240V and it's only getting 120V. Test it with a meter for correct voltage. 2) Unlikely, but the bearings in the pump may have seized. Rotate...
  10. bigbird

What's wrong with this installation?

I'm no plumber, but doesn't the cleanout have to be either vertical or at least slanted up on an angle? Is the cleanout plug glued in place? Why are there 2 electrical cables coming through the same opening as the pipe? Is that reducer in the right place? I would think it should be above the...
  11. bigbird

Faucet for utility/paint sink

I see several posts up that Terry has suggested two models of Delta faucets for laundry tub applications. I also found the specific Delta 750 on a search of Delta's website.
  12. bigbird

Faucet for utility/paint sink

Terry: Can you quote a Delta model # for what you would use for laundry tub. If you won't recommend in the forum, then could you please PM me. Thanks
  13. bigbird

High End Kitchen Faucet Advice

From what I know it's the other way around.
  14. bigbird

Gas Water Heater ??

In the winter especially my State will hiss as very cold water causes condensation that drips down to the burner. I also thought that my WH was leaking, but evidently years later it isn't.
  15. bigbird

Electrical/ plumbing in same stud bay

Plumbing and electrical in the same wall cavity are fine, even if they do touch. Remember, all electrical is insulated. Bare ground wires are OK too.
  16. bigbird

Opinions wanted on Delta 532, 540, 580

I'm in Canada and want to upgrade bathroom faucets. I was a Moen only man until renovating my bathroom. I ripped out an old Jacuzzi jetted tub and installed a 3 piece acrylic tub/shower. For a faucet, I chose a Delta 1748-74. It has a volume and separate temp control. It is well built, easy to...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks