Search results

1. rbig

newbie well question

I have a 600' well in western NC. When we change filters, it pumps lots of black sand and iron. We get it in our lavatories, toilets, showers, etc. We have a 100 gal accumulator. Does it "fill" the accumulator? Wondering if we need to clean it out, periodically. Is there...
  2. rbig

breaker questions

I have a Siemans 200 amp panel coming into our house. It gives us 240/120vac. It has 5 blanks. Total of 8 blanks, 3 are occupied. This leaves me 5 blanks. Do I have to use Siemans breakers? Or, can I go to Home Depot or Lowes and get breakers there that will fit this panel...
  3. rbig

Well pump backup. Need help on this project........

We live in South-West North Carolina. Our water well is 1000' deep, with very limited production (1gpm). We have a very large accumulator to help us have houshold water, and it does a good job. Our pump is 3hp, submersible. In case we loose power for three weeks or more...
  4. rbig

when you "drive" a water well........

Couple of questions about what happens when you drive a water well: * You can't use pvc pipe in driving water wells, can you? Seems like you chances of splitting pvc would be excessive. Maybe you can risk it using schedule 80 pvc? * When you drive down, how do you know if/when...
  5. rbig

Newbie asking questions about hand pump

I have a sprinkler 2hp pump sitting on the ground, on concrete blocks. It looks like it goes into a 2" line, straight down. There is a check valve at ground level. I would like to have a hand pump, in case power fails. One similar to those sold by HarborFreight. Our well is probably...
  6. rbig

submerged pump

We've lived in our place approx 2 yrs. It was a constructed home, built in '97. Our well is approx 400' deep, and puts out around 1gpm. The pump is submerged. Lately, I've become aware that MAYBE my pump is putting out more "trash" than before. It seems it pumping lots of black...
  7. rbig

question on well clearance

We live over in the southwest corner of NC. We have a 400-600' deep well, with pump on bottom. In all situations I used to be around, you needed to be able to back and vertical truck rig in to "pull" the well, for pump replacment, etc. I'm wondering if their is new technology...
  8. rbig

long time problem of church kitchen plumbing

We have had a problem with plumbing at sink in our church kitchen for a long time. It seems we sometimes have sulphur smell to our water. Our water is normally very sweet. Our kitchen is is all up to code. We can cook in it. It's taken a bit of time, but we know now that the hot water...
  9. rbig

need advice on using water well

We just moved into a new place that runs the whole house off a well. I don't know much about wells. Our house runs a dishwasher, and we have back-to-back showers. It all runs fine. The guy who put our well in told me two things: a. If we're ever using water, and it...
  10. rbig

how does contamination occur?

We just a place out on a river. Our well is 600'. The guys around us casually say "well, if the river floods ( a foot or so occasionally), call the well people and they'll come out and treat. From reading a lot, I see it's probably bleach that's used. What I don't understand is...
  11. rbig

tips or help on unseens sprinkler system leaks....

I'm a 70yr old tinkerer. My son bought a house across the street from us. He works most of the time, so I am working on yard stuff. The sprinkler system pump was a mess of slag heaped up. Don't know what happened, but whatever it was made it eat itself. This turned out to be why the...
  12. rbig

pressure relief valve

I'm thinking of putting a pressure relief valve in my pump on top (where it goes into the water valves). I'f one of the valves ever gets stuck shut, pump damage can occur. 1. what would a good pressure be (40lb? 50lb? whatever.....?) 2. Where can I find an inexpensive one that...
  13. rbig

advice needed, I can't prime the pump

I'm working on my son's well. He had a 2hp pump on it. For some reason, the pump ate itself. So, I found a 2hp Sears Simer and put it on the well. Coming out of the ground is a 2" pice of pipe. I have a hose bib coming off the 2" pipe, just above ground. The pipe goes just above it to a check...
  14. rbig

check valve at surface; cut off and replace

Replacing a 2hp pump on top of an 22' well. There is a vertical check valve just above the surface. I'm going to replace it, too. Will the pump suck up water, given time? Or, do I have to put water down the pipe. To do this, I would need to somehow press the plunger down and...
  15. rbig

hopfully someone can help me with this question....

We are out in a big field. Maybe six months ago, we were planting fruit trees. We found a 6" pvc line down about a foot or so. We all wondered what it was. Promptly scooting over a bit, and finished the planting project. Today, we'd like to find that line, and see what the heck it is...
  16. rbig

will this work for anti-freeze?

Got a big garden project I'm working on. Need to install a 1" pipe loop around a large area (above ground piping). Water will go in on one side. There will be water usage on the other side, some of the time Back toward the well (downhill side), I am thinking of having a swimming...
  17. rbig

how much difference does 1/2 hp make in pumps?

I have a well I'm working on. It's on my son's place, and had a 2hp Sta Rite shallow well pump on it. It feeds two sprinkler sections of 4 heads ea. The pump ate itself. Nothing but slag and spewed parts. They run $400 and upward. I've got a guy who will sell me a 1.5hp Sta Rite...
  18. rbig

how to find a contractor

Long story, but we'd like to find a contractor to come in and do chart monitoring of our water consumption at our church. Something simple like Y axis = gph , and the rest will be paper speed up or down, to give us good hourly footprints. I have no idea where to find someone with the...
  19. rbig

plumbers putty

Just got started around using plumbers putty on a job. Had a few small leaks in a hose connection going through a tank wall. Gravity inside the tank, about 2'. The plumbers putty stopped the leak great. How good is plumbers putty over time? Will it do the job for awhile? I...
  20. rbig

irrigation well question

Have an irrigation well with 30' depth, 2" pump input and check valve, 1.5hp pump. This setup has delivered great water for the system. Saturday, the pump ran but nothing coming out. Went ahead and primed it, but no output. The guy that dug the well said "well, it's either a bad pump, a bad...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks