Search results

1. parkfront

polystyrene as backer for shower mortar

Thanks for the tips Jim, The flexbility of the EPS would not be an issue, considering a floated wall (with a scratch coat) spanning studs has no backing....or are there other issues with the EPS backing? One of my concerns is with the permeability of the EPS in a moist environment, even...
  2. parkfront

I plan to float the walls because : 1. My layout for my 12x12 tiles requires different backing thicknesses from the studs. 2. I'm not keen on the new method of attaching the cbu above the sloped mortar bed and caulking the bottom for wicking prevention. For support, I would add some thinset...
  3. parkfront

I have figured that Polystyrene would provide a good backing for floated mortar bed shower walls. It won't promote mold growth and is very water resistant (extruded (XPS) more than expanded (EPS)). Either XPS or EPS will allow vapor transmission though.I looked into the Wedi product, which is...
  4. parkfront

Connecting straignt threads (NPSC) to tappered (NPT)

yes they do swivel. What kind of brass fitting would you use if they had to go in the wall with the valve attached? Any favorite pipe dope you use? I have Rectorseal 5, but the otherday someone sugested a different one called something like " two and one".I will do a search and possibly start...
  5. parkfront

Thanks srdenny! I took your advice and went to the machine shop at S.F. City College and did the taper myself with an adjustable die set. I can thread it into a female NPT fitting 3-1/2 turns by hand, so I figure with some pipe dope wrapped 4 times with teflon tape should seal it up good...
  6. parkfront

srdenny, Did you use that adaptor on a metric male thread or one like mine? I know this has 14 TPI but I'm not sure on the thread angle because it was made in England and may be a 55 degree instead of 60 degrees. Not sure if that would matter anyway. G
  7. parkfront

Thank you for your responses. I still need a little guidence in what approach to take. I understand that a Pex or "washered" connection needs to be accessible. I'm assuming (based on shower head connections) that NPT connections are commonplace and legal in inaccessible walls? Has anyone...
  8. parkfront

Great site!! I'm a builder working on my own bathroom addition and need some help with a shower valve installation. I am in the process of laying out the location of the supply line connections for an external Meynell thermostatic shower mixing valve, and was wondering what the best method...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks