Search results

1. jdf405

Clothes dryer - cycling thermostat question

Got a question about a pretty standard gas clothes dryer. It's a Maytag sdg2606aww and has only air-fluff, delicate, and regular temperature settings. I'd really like to knock the heat down a bit as it's really rough on our synthetics - things like spandex yoga pants, cycling clothes, elastic...
  2. jdf405

Camping Question - ground sleeping pad

Hope this isn't too far off "sports" topic... looking for a clever solution / contraption... When we (me + wife + 2 kids) go car camping we've found that using a 2" memory foam topper makes the most awesome ground pad for sleeping on in our tent. The downside is wrestling the thing in and...
  3. jdf405

Electric Motor - ID / replacement help

Greetings. I've got a whole house fan that has this motor and I want to upgrade the motor to a modestly more powerful version. The manufacturer sells the fan kits with larger motors in the same side duct / housing etc... but they will not sell the motor by itself (and the whole kit is quite...
  4. jdf405

Check valves in hot water recirc loop

Hi all, About 2 years ago I implemented a recirc system in my house that uses a small Taco pump and a third recirc leg. We're really happy with how it works for the most part. Check the schematic... I installed a pair of check valves on each of the "input" legs to the pump to prevent cold...
  5. jdf405

Caulking for rain gutters - need advice.

Greetings. I realize this is somewhat tangential to plumbing in its purest sense, but it pertains to water control & caulking - things we deal with often here... I had rain gutters installed a few years ago. I live in the Los Angeles area. The corner joints were caulked by the contractor...
  6. jdf405

URGENT - need advice on natural slate tile selection

Hello, I hope I can get some advice rapidly. I have two major concerns: 1) We selected natural slate tiles (12x12) for our 25 sq ft. bathroom floor. The installer is coming next week. When I looked at the tiles today I noticed that small chips (1/8" to 1/4" approx) of slate come off fairly...
  7. jdf405

Water Pipe Insulation

Hello, I'm looking for suggestions on insulation for my hot water pipes. They reside in a crawl space of my Los Angeles area house. No need for freeze protection, I just want to keep the hot water that gets left in the pipes warm as long as possible. The stuff that is sold at Home...
  8. jdf405

"Precise" rough in of shower? Need advice...

Hello all! I'm going to be roughing in a Kohler handshower / slide bar (K-8520) in the next few days. The installation manual can be found at: http://www.us.kohler.com/onlinecatalog/pdf/088148_2.pdf Page three of the manual shows a 1/2" nipple protruding beyond the finished shower...
  9. jdf405

Demolition Advice

Hi Everyone, I need to demo a tile bath tub surround this weekend. The tile is on a mortar bed about 1.5" thick. Behind the mortar bed is some tar paper then a 2x4 wall. Here's the tricky part - on the other side of that 2x4 wall is another tiled wall (with 5/8" drywall with Kerdi...
  10. jdf405

AC Wiring for Rinnai R94LSe

My Rinnai R94LSe has two electrical connectors on the bottom, one is a ~1" diameter white threaded plastic connector for the remote, the other is a ~1/2" black rubber grommet - I assume for the 120VAC. The black grommet will not provide any protection from the AC line pulling out and causing...
  11. jdf405

Location of expansion tank w.r.t. water heater

I'm working on plans for switching to a tankless system and I'm pretty sure I will need an expansion tank due to the city water meter likely having a back flow preventer. (I couldn't get a straight answer from the water company!) I'm trying to understand why I've read in several places that...
  12. jdf405

GFCI Outlet Trips with Lights or Fan Switch

My bathroom was remodeled about a year ago, with a new 20A line pulled from the panel. The lights and fan are on the line before the GFCI outlet. We leave a rechargable tooth brush plugged into the GFCI all the time, but nothing else. Recently when we turn off the lights or the bath vent...
  13. jdf405

Crazy gray water recycling idea

Here in Southern California, or anywhere for that matter, water waste is a shame. Before me & the Mrs. hit the shower at the end of the line we put a clean 5 gallon bucket under the tub spout and capture the gallon or so of waste until the hot arrives. The plants love it. I know, I...
  14. jdf405

Water heater in metal shed outside

Hi All, I am planning on moving my gas water heater to the exterior of my house (in Los Angeles) in the near future and have begun researching tanks & sheds. I am leaning towards a Bradford model but I have a few questions I'm hoping you can help with: Is a 24" square shed large enough to...
  15. jdf405

Roughing it - 12" or 12.5"?

When a toilet is specified as a 12" rough in - does that mean 12" from the unfinished framing to the center of the closet flange or is it measured from the expected finished wall (i.e. 1/2" or 5/8" further out)? The reason I ask is I frequently see a gap behind toilets of about 3/4" to 1". I...
  16. jdf405

Under ground water main - replacement

Hi All, I am getting ready to landscape my front yard and I'm considering replacing my water pipe from the shutoff in the sidewalk back to my house (about 25 feet). The reason I'm considering this is I had to replace the leaky gate valve by the house a couple of years ago and I was surprised...
  17. jdf405

Correct Glue for PVC to solid HDPE

Hello, I need your help / advice as to which solvent glue to use for my project: I'm planning on using solid wall HDPE 4" pipe to get the water from my down spouts to the street. This is the stuff that is much cheaper than sch 40 PVC but still rigid and smooth on the inside. It says...
  18. jdf405

French Drains & Down Spouts

I recently had gutters & down spouts installed on my house (in Los Angeles) and I'd like to get the water a bit further from the house than simple splash blocks. I live fairly close to the beach and get epic fog & dew most of the year, so the ground around down spout is wet 75% of the time...
  19. jdf405

Water Jetting the main sewer line?

Hi All, Last night I discovered that my main line to the street is clogged (the joys of sewage in the bathtub... ). This morning I had the plumber come out and he snaked it through fairly easily. My main is 3" and my house is about 55 years old in southern California (I'm guessing clay...
  20. jdf405

Fixing Tiny Gas Leaks

Hello, I'm looking for advice on fixing a very small natural gas leak. In advance of my final inspection I did a leak test on my NG system. I lost about 0.2PSI from 10PSI in 15 minutes. I spoke to an inspector and he said there is a zero tolerance on the leak test. I've done some fairly...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks