Search results

1. SeattleSoxFan

Yet another disposal connection....

Thanks for the advice/info... Confirms my initial thoughts and kills any fancy ideas I've thought of so far! - J
  2. SeattleSoxFan

Yet another disposal connection....

OK, so I've seen about 10 of these in the recent past, so I apologize for not quite finding out the answer after my search. There was a typical sink/dw/disposal in place prior to remodel. The remodel involved changing out the countertops (sweet new concrete counters!) and installing a...
  3. SeattleSoxFan

How to replumb this for disposer?

A slightly defensive response... As a contractor and an occasional "flipper" I have to say I understand your disparaging remarks when I look at the "competition," but it's not always the case. Some of us do know what's what and have other successful businesses in the trades and flip to keep...
  4. SeattleSoxFan

Bathroom Remodel (again)

You can use drywall throughout. You can consider CBU's if impact resistance is important, but the drywall is definitely sufficient. Not if you mean plastic behind the drywall. I would use a PVA primer though. I don't know that they require it, but I like to have it flat to start with...
  5. SeattleSoxFan

Bathroom Vent Fan - NuTone vs. Panasonic

This looks like an old thread resurrected and the conversation is mostly moot, but as a general rule of thumb you don't want to oversize the fan any more than you need to. It's like a furnace or anything. Properly sized is more efficient and more isn't always better. The "standard" formula...
  6. SeattleSoxFan

Opening a Kitchen and Living room wall

2x8 LVL's do sound a bit undersized, but the beam is actually not under all that much stress. It's supporting the ends of the beam that will get the brunt of the load. Any inspector is going to want a stamp unless it is clearly in the code already. LVL's are quite standard in construction, but...
  7. SeattleSoxFan

Help for leaking porch roof

I don't know much about typical "double-wide" construction. I also have no idea what "not much slope" means. You say you have shingles on the house.... are there shingles on the porch too? Typically you don't use asphalt shingles on < 4:12 pitch. Standard roll flashing is all that's required if...
  8. SeattleSoxFan

I assumed he knew the difference between joists and rafters... I guess that that was my mistake -- somehow I missed the "attic" comment. If it's a standard-framed ceiling, it's a much easier problem... :) But, Duane, if you are having troubles with the basics then you should put down your...
  9. SeattleSoxFan

Some good reading on the subject... These are both articles from JLC, 2007 and hopefully shows how competent pros approach this kind of problem. This is not quite the same roofing problem, but it is the article I was remembering. The main point is a creative solution to removing collar ties...
  10. SeattleSoxFan

Though I agree with all the comments posted 'til now (especially jadnashua's who realizes you can't solve the problem by only looking "up" at the problem), I also think the answer may not be a beam... You surely will want an engineer's input regardless, but it could be significantly easier...
  11. SeattleSoxFan

What do I need to do?

There shouldn't be any problem. As long as both ends of the cable are the same, everything should be ok. Cross-over cables have one end A and the other B, but those are for special purposes and not appropriate for your use.
  12. SeattleSoxFan

Coax question.

No simple answer, I'm afraid! As you noted there are so many different "opinions" on this and a shortage of facts. Probably the only accurate statements are from one cable to another rather than from spec to spec. :( First on the solid copper versus copper-clad steel.. They both should work...
  13. SeattleSoxFan

New Drywall Joined with Old Drywall

When hiring a professional the $$ equation changes, and most pros are wary of smooth coat finishes because clients can be quite picky. Smooth coat is marked up quite a bit more than other finishes. Skim coating is considered a high-end finish. High-end generally equals high cost whether or not...
  14. SeattleSoxFan

vapor barrier back to back?

You don't need a vapor barrier in a shower, you need it to be waterproof! I'm sure you wouldn't skimp on one wall of a shower because you didn't expect it to get much spray, would you? :) Anyway, keep the water out of the stud bays and waterproof the shower. The "vapors" should be taken care of...
  15. SeattleSoxFan

New Drywall Joined with Old Drywall

Skim-coating it is another option. If you're mildly competent at taping it's pretty easy and fairly quick. The texture you have looks like it was brushed on (stippled) and may not be easy to reproduce. Ceilings aren't usually centerpoints of a room and you have more leeway on transitions than...
  16. SeattleSoxFan

Dewinterizing plumbing in a condo

Usually is that simple, yes. Open up a faucet, bathtub, or something before the main so you don't get much air pressure built up (but one is likely still open) and run the water for a while as the pipes will have some nastiness in them. Doh! A minute late with much less helpful information. Now...
  17. SeattleSoxFan

Plastic Sleeving for copper pipe

I generally stay out of the conversations on plumbing as I am not a plumber (at least any more than most plumbers are carpenters -- but, hey, that rarely stops them from cutting wood! ;) ) I don't know if the concern is to insulate or to protect from expansion/contraction differences of...
  18. SeattleSoxFan

Plumbing for Outdoor Kitchen

I'm doing a pretty large "remodel" of my back patio involving a whole lot of retaining walls and a new patio surface. I'm still planning out the layout of my "kitchen" which will include a gas grill and a sink (and a sweet brick oven), but I start digging for the walls this week. The utility...
  19. SeattleSoxFan

Rewiring setup question.

You beat my reply with your reply :) That will work fine. Leviton is what I've always used, but it's just wires! I don't know how to run cables with connectors on them already, but if you want to give it a try, go for it! I haven't checked monoprice, but I'd guess a spool of cat-5e is...
  20. SeattleSoxFan

Rewiring setup question.

Yeah the basic Leviton outlets use the combo RJ-45/RJ-11 jacks. You do need to wire them properly though (they are color coded with A/B wiring) using a punch tool -- though sometimes a little plastic one comes with the jacks. HD or any of the home centers usually sells those jacks as well as...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks