Search results

1. mikeangelini

Extend floor joists?

Thanks for the input so far. I am leaning toward plating both sides with 2 x 10 about 4' 6" back. Carriage bolts staggered every 8 inches, with a lot of PL Premium in between both sides. I would go for almost complete coverage of construction adhesive by pumping a lot out, and clamping the...
  2. mikeangelini

Takes too long for hot water upstairs.

Hello, I am in the middle of a foyer/ kitchen / hallway renovation. I am removing drywall and have to re route the upstairs hot and cold water feeds due to the addition of a food pantry and doorway where the pipes are currently located. My hot water heater (gas 40 gallon tank) is on...
  3. mikeangelini

Extend floor joists?

Yes, only for about 4 feet/ 3 joists. I am looking to widen the hallway and have the ceiling smooth. Hence the header in the ceiling and the joist hangers. I could put the header where the joists already overlap, but that would not eliminate the entire wall that bumps out into the kitchen. I...
  4. mikeangelini

Extend floor joists?

I see what you are saying. This would work if I was going to put a traditional header under the joists like what is there now. I was probably not very clear originally, but what I would like to do is have the ceiling be flush from the front of the house to the back. Put in temp...
  5. mikeangelini

Extend floor joists?

Thanks for the input so far. Leejosepho, I am trying to picture how you mean cantilever situation. I took a couple more pics to better illustrate the situation. They show the short joists, and also what they are supporting.
  6. mikeangelini

Extend floor joists?

I agree. The more I see inside this house, the more I wonder how it still stands. The joists overlap where the big ugly header in the picture is. I want to move it back to be flush with the wall. About 14 inches. The joists don't overlap that far. I am moving it toward the front of the...
  7. mikeangelini

Extend floor joists?

They are resting on the header. I am trying to get rid of the little bump out that supports the header, and make everything flush with the wall. But 3 joists don't reach the wall. Hence my current issue.
  8. mikeangelini

Extend floor joists?

Hello, There is a wall that extends out in our eat-in kitchen that I am looking to eliminate. In order to add the header that would make the ceiling flush from front to back, I would be cutting the floor/ceiling joists and pocketing in a 3.5" x 9.5" header in the ceiling using...
  9. mikeangelini

Decision Made...Going to Electric Hot Water Tank. A Few Questions.

Still Heating with oil. Hello, Thanks for your reply. I am still going to heat with oil. The electric water heater was to get rid of the tankless coil that was burning us and running the $4.20/ galllon oil all summer long for only hot water. I was also hoping to convert to a cold start...
  10. mikeangelini

Hello all, After reading many posts here on the forum, I am going to switch over to electric hot water. I have some specific questions. Here is some background info: -1300 sq. foot house in PA. -Currently using 3 year old Weil-Mclain Gold boiler with Honeywell 8124 Aquastat, and an on...
  11. mikeangelini

Hello all, After reading many posts here on the forum, I am going to switch over to electric hot water. I have some specific questions. Here is some background info: -1300 sq. foot house in PA. -Currently using 3 year old Weil-Mclain Gold boiler with Honeywell 8124 Aquastat, and an...
  12. mikeangelini

Converting from On Demand Coil (Oil Boiler) to Electric Hot Water Tank.

Hello, Like many other people out there that heat with oil, I am ready to shut that boiler down. I have found the OnDemand coil to be unpredictable, causing scalding at times when the water that was in the coil reaches the faucet, changing water temperature depending on where the boiler...
  13. mikeangelini

Fitting Door Slabs in Existing Jambs.

Hello all, I have a different type of question regarding the interior door job I am about to do. Thanks for the tips on pricing, they were all helpful. On some of the doors the jambs will be very difficult to remove and replace due to risk of damaging intricate plaster work. (curvy...
  14. mikeangelini

I need to price an interior door installation.

Please clarify. Thanks for your reply Tom. If there are multiple layers of sheathing on top of the old jamb that you had to cut away, but not too much where the trim wouldn't cover it, would it still be $100? When you say 'fur out the jamb', are you referring to building out the jamb so the...
  15. mikeangelini

I need to price an interior door installation.

Hello, I have been asked by someone I know to install 12 interior doors. I do work on the side for friends and family, etc. I need to come up with a fair price to charge. The house is an old Philadelphia row home. Some of the jambs are in OK shape, and others may need to be replaced with...
  16. mikeangelini

Installing a Complex Balustrade System.

Hello all, I am new to the forum,, and I have my first question. I am an intermediate handyman type. I have done a fair amount of decent work for myself and family and friends. (Carpentry, plumbing, ceramic tile, framing, electrical, concrete, etc.) And I have a large amout of mid to...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks