Search results

1. Johnvickib

Replacing Shut Off Valve - Copper Pipe Too Short

I finally got everything replaced after working around an ice storm and no power for almost 2 days. I took a little advice from everyone's tips, I really appreciate this forum. I was able to cut the traps and put in a solvent fitting that was threaded on the other end and then put in a p-trap...
  2. Johnvickib

Thanks Terry, I think I will try that!!
  3. Johnvickib

I got the supply lines replaced. I really appreciate the advice, I did get a sleeve puller and it solved my hate of compression fittings. That part went very smooth and no leaks thanks to the advice here! I do need to extend the p-trap 3 inches from the wall and wonder if the current p-trap...
  4. Johnvickib

Thanks for all the advice. I will probably replace these tomorrow evening, just like to be ready for all the possibilities before I start. I bought a ferrule puller today. I am replacing the sinks with pedestal sinks. I will try the compression stops first, if that doesn't work I will go ahead...
  5. Johnvickib

everything is real corroded. The old compression shut off's are still on as of right now but I will really have to sand everything off to clean up the paint and green and rust. I had to scrape just to see any metal. I didn't know if I could get the Ferrell off or if I would have to cut it off...
  6. Johnvickib

I am replacing 4 sink shut off valves. The copper pipe coming from the wall is too short on some of them. What do you do to fix this? I have sweated on threaded copper ends at my house but would rather not sweat anything here since it is so close to the wall. If it's the best way, I guess I will...
  7. Johnvickib

Salt free softeners

I was trying to do a quick reply, maybe I should have explained more. When I said, "The technology has been around since the '60's," I mean it has been used in industrial use since the '60's, not as a home softener. I am glad Gary Slusser made his post, he has tried one for 2 years and is not...
  8. Johnvickib

Salt free softeners

There is another salt free softener. I have heard they are good but don't know for sure, they do have a good trial period (90 day) and 10 yr warranty. The technology has been around since the '60's and was used for industrial cooling towers from what I remember when I was looking into them. I...
  9. Johnvickib

New Water Softener Install Question

I just followed my directions, I have 4 family members and the city said I could program for 25 GPG, even though I think it is higher in the summer because they are required to take a certain % of Lake Spence water which is real low and dirty. Grains to be removed is 7500. Regenerate every 2100...
  10. Johnvickib

I got everything done, the soft water is great, and everything is a lot cleaner (dishes, silverware, family, etc). I had an insulated sheet metal box made to cover pipes coming from ground to house. I used existing drain line that was put in for old softener, just re-routed it to the new...
  11. Johnvickib

Thanks for the idea. I added that into my plans and have everything finished except I am having a sheetmetal cover made to cover the pipes and insulation where the pipes come out of ground and go into the hole I made in the brick wall into the garage. I insulated my pipes and I don't have to...
  12. Johnvickib

Pewter, I like your idea. This weekend I started digging up the pipes so I could tell what was what. I am the 3rd owner of the house and it looks like there were 2 separate water softeners installed, 1 for each owner at two close but different locations, they tapped into the same pipes. I dug up...
  13. Johnvickib

I have my new softener being shipped to me so I dug up where the old softener used to be (it was taken by the old owner of my house) and came across the old pipes (see attached picture). On the soft copper, I assume it is the drain line, what should I do to hook it up to the new softener drain...
  14. Johnvickib

Thanks for the good advice, I will re-evaluate the outside installation. I should have soft water by February, (sounds like it will be outside where the old unit was).
  15. Johnvickib

I need help choosing new water softener

I am planning on getting a water softener soon. I live in West Texas (Midland) and the water is terrible, the city of Midland said you can set your water softener for 25 gpg but their water report says it gets between 35-40 gpg on occasion. I am going to make sure I get an good unit with a Fleck...
  16. Johnvickib

From my understanding, if I put it outside I will have to get a softener with mechanical controls. I would rather have the digital one and have it inside, away from the pets and easy to get to. Our water here is anywhere from 25 gpg to 36 gpg so I think it would really make a difference for...
  17. Johnvickib

I guess it is just hard to tell how it was ran when trenched 26 years ago. The only thing that I could see the plumber caring about is that it passed inspection and installing it where it required the least amount of trenching and materials as possible. The inspection dept. doesn't have...
  18. Johnvickib

I want to install a new water softener in my water heater closet (there is a drain line there). The house (built in 1981) did have a water softener before I bought it but it was outside and the previous owner took it. I want all water softened (hot and cold) except for the 2 outside faucets that...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks