Search results

1. bobbobwhite

Stinky particleboard

Why does particleboard stink so much when wet and then retain the stink even after drying out? Leaky kitchen sink waste drain caused it and the particleboard below still stinks after drying out. Anything other than replacement to cure the stink? I sprayed clear laquer over it after drying it out...
  2. bobbobwhite

Outrageous furnace repair charges

HVAC guy replaced the electronic circuit board controller in my American Standard unit that is 8 years old that cost $2k total to install in 2002. One 15 cent transistor(HVAC man said that!!!) burned out on the board and he said "he had to replace the entire controller". He said that years ago...
  3. bobbobwhite

Built-in timers

Are there built-in timers available that can be installed in the wall as a one piece unit that includes a wall receptacle? I have a very unique, wall hanging Christmas tree picture made out of women's costume jewelry in a picture frame that has lights on the tree. As the light cord is behind the...
  4. bobbobwhite

Bad smell from toilet area

New bathrom is less than one and a half years old with all new fixtures. Bad decomposition/sewer gas smell started 2 days ago from toilet area. Crawl space beneath has no bad odor nor does the attic above, so I think it has to be the toilet wax seal, but why would that fail so soon? I've seen...
  5. bobbobwhite

Sound deadening

I have a furnace room that is in the middle of the house and the noise from the motor and fan is pretty loud. What is the best sound deadening material I can use inside the room to reduce this noise? I have been told to add another layer of drywall inside the room, or use a fiberous sound...
  6. bobbobwhite

Polishing marble spot to original shine

Wife used steel wool(Jeez) to try to get a mark off a marble countertop, now it has a 2" circle with no shine. How can I restore the original shine? Would extra fine pumice do it? Or rottenstone? Jeweler's rouge on a cloth buffing wheel? Don't have any marble to experiment on so do not want to...
  7. bobbobwhite

Ryobi One+battery charger used for lithium?

I have the Ni-Cad One+ kit and wonder if the new lithium ion batteries can be safely charged on the ni-cad charger? I know the lithium chargers do both.
  8. bobbobwhite

Advantages of instant hot water heaters?

Never had one; friend recommended it but seems like it could be an energy hog with lots of power needed at one time. But, is that cheaper in the long run than keeping a full tank always ready? Pros and cons please; thanks.
  9. bobbobwhite

Howe does a pressure reducing valve work

Need to install a new water pressure reducing valve as the old one failed and I have 100 lbs now coming out faucets like a fire hose. Worried it may blow my clothes and dishwasher hoses if I don't fix it soon. My local plumbing house said that "pressure and volume are different; you don't...
  10. bobbobwhite

Basic copper pipe plumbing looks easy

and looks like one could learn to cut and solder pipe in no time. Is the basic soldering as easy as it looks....cut to length, sand/smooth cut end, try fit, flux, heat, solder, test. Is that it? Or is there more to it than meets the eye? I know carpentry, masonry, elec. and sheet metal but never...
  11. bobbobwhite

How to get manufacturer to honor warranty

As with Nordstroms, one expects a very high end company to give great service, but what does one do when it is not given? I bought a very expensive bath faucet with hot and cold valves from Altman's, each of which are so hard to turn that it is almost impossible to use by a child or a female of...
  12. bobbobwhite

Altman's angle stop valves

http://www.altmansproducts.com/ I have Altman's high end, Ottley collection angle stop valves in my remodelled bath in both shower and sink. They are so hard to open and close! My wife chose round knobs and I can't open and close them with wet hands. I have to dry my hands to use them and it...
  13. bobbobwhite

Ryobi One + tool kit

Home Depot sales guy said that Ryobi's new 18v lithium batteries will work fine in the 18v NiCad tools in the kit of circular saw, drill, radio and light that's on sale at HD now. Kit name is One +. Anyone know if this is true? No possible blow ups? Thanks.
  14. bobbobwhite

Can't get satin or eggshell oil paint in CA

So, how can I do a nice repaint job on my front door? Water base paint is not good for front doors as it doesn't level nicely and shows brush marks badly. Only oil base paint works right. Someone know a good/great solution.....like how to cut the sheen on semi-gloss down to eggshell or satin...
  15. bobbobwhite

Dry marble cutting

Marble is pretty soft, but can I cut it OK dry using a fine-tooth carbide blade on my circular saw? I need a nice edge so no chipping would be best. Any detailed help appreciated. Thanks.
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks