Search results

1. Sylvan

Tub Drain Removal with extractor

I use a reciprocating saw and a old screw driver and small sharp chisel OR get a 1" pipe and cut slots in it and it is easy to remove the strainer
  2. Sylvan

Advice for 19 year old entering plumbing

When I finished my UA training and passed all my journeymen courses I was qualified to work in any US state plus Canada The UA training is AMAZING
  3. Sylvan

Need some advice on this fix!! Urgent

Actually No one knows more about proper sewer and drain cleaning then the master plumbers who install them I started Water Jetting in the early 1980s and taught classes on when and how and which water Jetter and or cable machine to use I was averaging over $6,000 a a day doing sewer and drain...
  4. Sylvan

Another tragic death

I was hired by another law firm as an 11 month old child was scalded by steam The pictures I saw showed the radiator valve split by the half union and the room filled with steam prior to be taken out. MIDWOOD, Brooklyn (WABC) -- A baby has died after he was apparently burned by steam from a...
  5. Sylvan

Another tragic death

Another tragic death
  6. Sylvan

Water heater question

A hair line crack will end up splitting open wider especially when heated and over time the tank will fail
  7. Sylvan

Water heater question

I would be a little concerned that the glass lining inside the tank may have been damaged. It all depends on how hard it was hit
  8. Sylvan

Overflow tube

There is an adjustment on the fill valve USE IT
  9. Sylvan

3 cleanouts in front yard right next to each other?

Any company with the name " ROTO" run as far as possible from them IMHO You can rent a camera or even buy one from E bay relatively cheap
  10. Sylvan

Tie water heater drain pan into utility sink standpipe?

A water heater T@P cannot be tied in a drain. It has to be an air gap. If your discharge pipe from the T&P is 2" above the pan then the pan can be connected to a drain line as long as it is trapped and vented. Check local codes first
  11. Sylvan

water in drip pan

If the tank is more then 10 years old replace it
  12. Sylvan

Bathroom Remodel DWV and Supply Questions and Advice...

I hope someone has very small hands when it comes time to work inside the toilet tank. Why do people want to make life difficult for anyone who has to replace the fill valve or flapper
  13. Sylvan

House inspection shows belly in pipe

There is no need to even think of having the belly removed or worrying bout slight back pitched waste line. If your really concerned buy a used cable machine and snake the line yearly
  14. Sylvan

Brass Compression Coupling

One plumbing contractor sent a so called mechanic to repair a leak. The idiot on a Friday afternoon was in a hurry and used a 11/2 dresser coupling on a hot water riser and the dresser failed (big surprise) and not only caused a major the hot water scalded a lady and did thousands of dollars...
  15. Sylvan

Question about PVC vs Cast Iron

Cast Iron is safer and is non toxic in case of a fire, it has a 70+ life span, quieter, allows for better drainage as the fittings are normally longer radius, Sweeps Vs Ells. For venting Plastic is ok
  16. Sylvan

Relocating Water Heater - need advice on drain for TPR & drain pan

You should never dump spent antifreeze onto the ground or down a drain Doing so would allow ethylene glycol to seep into the nearby soils and groundwater, which could pollute water sources, kill flora, sicken fauna, and make the EPA very, very unhappy.
  17. Sylvan

Relocating Water Heater - need advice on drain for TPR & drain pan

Floor drain with the discharge from the T&P no more that 6" and no less then 1.5" above the floor drain (double the size of the discharge pipe)
  18. Sylvan

Edge case about slope

The "inspector" needs to go back to class if they think will leave solids behind. NYC had the "greater NYC toilet change out" to conserve water All toilets were 3.5 GPF or more and the soil lines were sized by a much more gallons . The majority of plumbers thought this would be a money...
  19. Sylvan

Edge case about slope

11.25 , 22.50 45.00 deg 60 deg fittings available for rolling offsets "drainage fittings" Not very common any more as too much math is involved. we also use crooked threads for various amounts of pitch for drainage of steam condensate lines. In cast iron 1/32 bend (11.25) 1/16...
  20. Sylvan

Cold water bypass in Delta cartridge

I had that with Moen and the "bold look" but never with a Delta Then again I am only dabbling in plumbing for 56 years (not including my 3 years in the USN)
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks