Search results

1. Zimmee66

how can I get snake past this T?

Hi all! I have a *vintage* kitchen drain thats clogged. I know exactly where the clog is and I also know that the main riser needs replacing, but I cant quite afford that now so I want to try snaking it. the problem is I can't get at the clog through the p-trap because it is a few inches...
  2. Zimmee66

Still struggling with XH cast iron banded coupler-help?!

Hi all I posted last week about replacing a 2 inch cast iron riser section with PVC. Good advice was given about cutting etc, thanks! I've ruled-out taking it down into the floor for several reasons (though I know its the best answer). Anyhow--The pipe cut quite cleanly (with a grinder) but...
  3. Zimmee66

"real-world" vintage cast iron pipe cutting?

Hi all! Looking for tips and cautions about cutting an 80 year old cast iron riser. I've cut lead risers before (easy!) but have not cut cast iron. See pics for details. Riser is 2 inch XH pipe. My questions are: 1) Will an *ordinary (rental)* pipe breaker cut XH-type cast iron or is there...
  4. Zimmee66

Is this sink trap a hazard or illegal?

Hi all! Question about "real-world plumbing" here... I have a 1920s house with the usual mishmash of plumbing. Ive attached a picture of my kitchen sink trap, and I'm wondering if it is illegal or a hazard or perhaps just crummy. It is fairly slow to drain and I need to clean the...
  5. Zimmee66

Pex in cabin? Freezes? Minerals?

Hello all! I have a "real-world experience" type question for the list... I've got a primative cabin (really just a shack, 80 years old) currently plumbed with mostly 1/2 copper supplys. It's on a well, with high-iron water but modest pressure. can't be more that 30 feet total of supply...
  6. Zimmee66

Hot Water rising up cold supply line--fix?

Hi All! I have a water heater put in by the Previous Owner. Pretty new, installed very sloppily by somebody better known for, umm--getting hair out of sewers. Installers ran a rigid 3/4 copper supply line dropped straight from overhead to the heater. I feel hot water in that cold line...
  7. Zimmee66

Lint will be the undoing of me...

Hi All! This may seem like a moronic question but Im quite serious. I have a real linty headache...with a bunch of kids, dogs, and us (and maybe old clothes and I dunno why else) we generate a lot of lint washing clothes. No matter what we try, we have alot of problems with clogging...
  8. Zimmee66

What the dickens is this capped pipe for?

I'm totally stumped...and nothing can be seen from below or underneath to give a clue. http://spaces.msn.com/stephslawoffice/PersonalSpace.aspx?_c01_photoalbum=showdefault&_c02_owner=1&_c=photoalbum
  9. Zimmee66

Can I attach fernco directly to flange?

Hi All! I'm replacing a lead soil riser/cast iron flange setup and ran into something I didn't expect ;-( For now, Im using the outhouse, our "second bath" (no kidding!)...this is turning into one of those nightmare projects! What I planned to do was use a banded coupling (not...
  10. Zimmee66

Quick Q about old lead and brass ferrules?

Hi All! Im about to tackle the replacement of a leaking LEAD toilet soil pipe/riser. I read an excellent tutorial post on this list (tho its not about a toilet drain) and have asked a few questions here myself. So, I understand pretty well what needs to be done but Id sure like to...
  11. Zimmee66

Need a Tiny Toidy--any tips? Porcher Opinion?

Hi All! I have a *really* small bathroom and need a small toilet. By that I dont mean rough-in (standard 12" is fine) but rather bowl length. I lknow of the AmStd cadet line--but this is a craftsman era house and so that would look a little weird, too modern. I have been looking at...
  12. Zimmee66

confused: 3 or 4 inch soil pipe?

Hi All! Im getting conflicting bids from plumbers and Im not sure who to trust. I have a rotted floor, and a buckled lead soil pipe that are to be fixed. I long since gave up on trying it myself but even some plumbers seem unsure about what to do here. My question is this: The soil...
  13. Zimmee66

Any plumbers advice on best way to replace a rotted toilet floor!

Hi all! A plea for real world advice from the plumbers perspective: I finally found (I hope) a plumber who is willing and able to replace a buckled lead soil pipe/brass flange. Amazingly, I called many plumbers who've never worked on such vintage stuff, seems like the young guys arent...
  14. Zimmee66

Vintage plumbing puzzler

OK--my first post (though Ive been reading for years!) Badly rotted subfloor, tipping toilet leaks Fun, but I've done this task once or twice, so I feel OK (but not excited) dealing with it. Until now, I've been lucky enough to only have to deal with modern PVC waste piping until now...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks