Search results

1. Hillel

Fire Pit Vent/Drain Pipe

My kids want to try making an in-ground fire pit in our back yard. The pit would be about 3 feet across and surrounded by patio pavers. The right place for it happens to be at the top next to a small hill downward where it would be easy to install a pipe underground out to the side of the hill...
  2. Hillel

Shower Valve Solder Leak

It appears that our master shower has a leak in the solder to the pipe which goes to the shower head. You can see the leak shooting out as a tiny jet in the picture below. This was installed by a professional plumber two years ago. There is not much room to work with the pipe above the valve...
  3. Hillel

Mounting driver for LED under cabinet lighting

Interesting, but at what range? I had one running as a test very close to my wireless-N access point and did not experience any network problems. I will have to experiment more carefully. Thanks. ---Hillel
  4. Hillel

The joy of the Web; seek and ye shall find. Looks like there is an ETL listed enclosure certified with Meanwell power supplies. You can see it in this link. TRC wholesales for $24. Standard retail is $40. Thanks. ---Hillel
  5. Hillel

I am planning to run two lines from a single power supply due to a break between the cabinets. Those "channels" in the linked example are just parallel screw terminals. There does not seem to be anything limiting output to 1.25A per terminal. What I don't trust about the CCTV supply is how...
  6. Hillel

Thanks for the links there DonL. One gotcha with those power supplies is that you have to use the correct matching barrel connectors. Cut the wire by the end to use your own connections, and you break the safety certification of the whole package. Not a big deal, but something that people...
  7. Hillel

DonL, That 100W version looks good, but is also lacking UL listing. Here is a reason why many of these devices are UL recognized instead of listed (aside from money and effort): http://www.amperor.com/products/led/ul_recognized_or_ul_listed.html You would think that whoever wrote the NEC...
  8. Hillel

Thanks to all those who chimed in so far. As far as waterproof goes, it is not waterproof as advertised. However, the unit is marked "For use only in dry and damp areas." The unit is marked as UL Recognized, not UL Listed. I checked the NEC. Here are a couple relevant pieces. (Sorry, but...
  9. Hillel

Hello Everyone, Electrical safety and code question here. I am planning to install LED strip lighting under my kitchen cabinets. Unfortunately, DC transformers for LEDs do not seem to come small enough to fit in a standard gang box. The trick is where to hide it in the cabinets. I have a...
  10. Hillel

Insulation to block airflow and frozen pipes

Sorry about all that rambling. This is the sort of thing that we probably would not have noticed for years if not for all the different things going wrong at the same time. Just to clear up, yes those are rafters in the top of the picture. The picture was taken inside the attic space over...
  11. Hillel

Insulation to block airflow and frozen pipes

Hello Everyone, Sorry about the length here, but this is a little complicated. Our house has just been rebuilt after a fire. The original frame including an addition that existed before the fire has mostly been rebuilt as it was. The wall between the original house frame and the addition...
  12. Hillel

Threaded vs Glued PVC floor drain pipe in cabinet bottom

In theory, this would be accessible for repairs. Remove riser with male threaded fitting, move vanity away from wall, and the pipe in the floor with the female fitting is exposed. What is the chance of there being a leak with a threaded fitting that would go unnoticed while a glued coupler...
  13. Hillel

Venting is not going to be a problem. This qualifies as an island fixture with an AAV and will be the only such fixture in the house. The question is, is it safe to put a threaded connection for the PVC drain pipe between the cabinet bottom and floor, or just glue a coupler and deal with...
  14. Hillel

Hello Everyone, I am installing a corner sink vanity that I built from an old mahogany tabletop in my dining room. The plumber set up the supply lines in the wall, but the only place for the drain was to come out of the floor. The drain pipe is 1.5" PVC. The only way to swing the vanity...
  15. Hillel

AS Cadet PRO - better or worse?

Thanks for all of the advice available on this forum. As for the fire, thankfully, everyone got out OK. Woke up at 2am on a Saturday last year to find the house on fire. A mix of preparedness, training, and incredible luck had us all out with seconds to spare even before the fire dept showed...
  16. Hillel

AS Cadet PRO - better or worse?

Hello Everyone, I am at the point of ordering toilets for three bathrooms as we rebuild our house after a fire. The one toilet we installed since moving in was an AS Cadet 3 (not purchased at HD) which we used for three years before the fire, and it was a great toilet. I was going to go with...
  17. Hillel

Radiant Barrier Insulation vs Fiberglass

Hello Everyone, My house is being rebuilt after having been gutted by a fire. The walls are built with 2x4 studs. Ohio building code requires R13 insulation in a 2x4 outer wall and R30 in the attic. The contractor is used to using the basic fiberglass batt with the minimal required...
  18. Hillel

Zones and sizing to replace two units with one

Tax credits The AC should qualify on its own if it is 15 SEER or better. The 4 ton 2-stage unit I mentioned above is 16 SEER and would qualify on its own. The single stage units considered are 13 SEER, which would not qualify. In fact, the resulting credit of the 2-stage AC just about pays...
  19. Hillel

Zones and sizing to replace two units with one

Hello Everyone, When I bought my house, it had two relatively old HVAC units each effectively running one floor of a two floor 2600 sq ft house. There is a 3 ton A/C unit that originally ran the whole house, and now runs just the second floor bedrooms. The first floor kitchen, dining room...
  20. Hillel

Dishwasher away from sink

I don't think we need an air gap here for code. At least, my current dishwasher that is next to the sink does not have one, nor did the one before it from the previous owner, and both were professionally installed. I don't think it is possible to add a vent up along the wall where this would...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks