Search results

1. Wraujr

Power vented water heater for sale..Mid West.....

Are the slight dents and dings from where (as they say in NJ) "they fell off the truck"??? Just kidding...
  2. Wraujr

Gas water heater recommendation

Had a plumber put in a 50 gallon BW gas normal venting about 6 years ago and its doing fine (of course this post will jinx it). At that time many plumbers on this website and others were recommending BW. Had them leave off the heat traps as these seem to occasionally cause trouble. It replaced...
  3. Wraujr

I don't want my WH T&P to vent in the room, but code says it has to?

Option that would meet air-gap. Replace 3/4" copper from outside back to water heater with 1 1-1/2 PVC sloping appropriately. When it reaches water heater continue with PVC vertical up to about 2 ft from T&P. Then use 3/4" copper from T&P extending it about one foot into the PVC. Since ID of...
  4. Wraujr

Fernco on Sink Tailpiece to PVC Trap

Yes, your are right about carefully checking dimensions. The lower 2" OD PVC is 1 1/2" DWV PVC and the OD of the tailpiece was around 1.5", a little less than the 1.66" OD of 1 1/4" DWV PVC. So the correct Fernco I would try is P1056-150/125 and I expect the tailpiece might be a little loose...
  5. Wraujr

Fernco on Sink Tailpiece to PVC Trap

I have a dual kitchen sink, on the non-disposal side I have a 1 1/2 tailpiece that I want to connect to 2" PVC trap. The 2"PVC trap is all solvent weld in combo with disposal drain and wall outlet. There is little room and little flexibility so using a Fernco 1 1/2 x 2 ( P1056-215 / Black...
  6. Wraujr

Stem Leak on Older Nibco Ball Valve

Update: (a) Definitely not condensation. (b) Part is NIBCO 580, and mechanical diagram shows it using a "Packing Gland", not a packing nut. (c) Definitely no packing nut, so ended up tightening handle nut a "smidge" and droplet went away. (d) Found this today on NIBCO website under...
  7. Wraujr

Stem Leak on Older Nibco Ball Valve

I have two NIBCO ball valves on the incoming water supply. One is before the meter, one is after the meter. The one before the meter, was replaced three years ago when main line replaced and it has a packing nut. The one after the meter is from original build in 1993. It does not appear to...
  8. Wraujr

No water in shower, tried everything

Some confusion here... I read back thru posts and I heard: Has both Shower Head and Tub Spout (OP uses "faucet" when I think he means Tub Spout) With cartridge OUT, water comes out valve BODY with force for BOTH hot and cold With cartridge IN, no (or little) water comes out Tub Spout or Shower...
  9. Wraujr

Semi-recessed vessel sink - with overflow? Milforde Semi-Recessed Porcelain Sink

Is it possible that the holes are close enough to the drain opening that when pop-up assembly is installed, the nut, washer, and rubber gasket will cover/seal the "dime" size openings..... and then overflow will flow into holes in side of popup assy. Your use of "dime size" sounds pretty big...
  10. Wraujr

Split pipe in a tight spot

Be very careful in doing anything to those four studs. Four studs sistered together is most likely a load bearing column for an upper floor beam and if so the drilled hole has already compromised its load carrying ability. You go cutting any notches and you may reduce your ceiling height an...
  11. Wraujr

Broken water supply to house

Do you think its a coincidence that 1"PVC and 1" Brass Nipple both have an identical OD of 1.315"????
  12. Wraujr

What is this rusted fitting?

I vote for future sprinkler system connection (assuming there is meter at street). Given exposed exterior supply I guess warm weather climate where sprinkler systems are very popular so "tee" is part of normal install when house was built allowing easy addition of sprinkler system. Just...
  13. Wraujr

Ejector Pit inlet pipe problems

Modify a 3x4 Adaper/Reducer Try this: Get a 3x4 Reducer Hub Sand down the "stop" that limits the 3" depth so that it now slides onto 3" pipe. Cut 4" pipe shorter. You can leave 3" pipe long. Slide on reducer and mark where 3" edge of reducer ends. Clean and prime both 4" and 3" pipe...
  14. Wraujr

Can I seal the washer drain pipe ?

If it smells like a Porta-Potty, you have a sewer gas infiltration problem. If it smells like mold/mildew/old sneakers/sweaty body, try my cleaning technique. There is a definite difference.
  15. Wraujr

Can I seal the washer drain pipe ?

Removing Smell First, do not seal washer standpipe, not positive, but pretty sure air needs to get in when washer is pumping water into drain. Sealing because you have odors doesn't solve problem. One thing to check is the vent pipe to the roof clogged, you should have one or more pipes thru...
  16. Wraujr

Examining my 17 YO AO Smith to determine if it is repairable.

Explanation hj, could you please expand on this statement.. "Connecting the copper water lines DIRECTLY to the tank is also not a good idea, and would have been rejected during inspection in most areas" All the homes in my neighborhood (new construction 1993, Smith gas water heaters) have...
  17. Wraujr

Examining my 17 YO AO Smith to determine if it is repairable.

Saw the plumber on This Old House, flush someone's HW after it was over ten years old. Caught debris in a 5 gallon drywall mud bucket. Did it because homeowner wanted it done. Two weeks later tank failed, started to leak and had to be replaced. Plumber's "experienced opinion" was that...
  18. Wraujr

1/4 Line - Soldered fitting.....

In my case, 1/4" tubing "fished" thru to drywall opening for icemaker box. Icemake box has shut off valve. Once I connnect 1/4" tube to IM shutoff, IM box inserted into drywall opening. I assume that makes the connection between IM shutoff and 1/4" tubing "concealed" (i.e. not visible) I am...
  19. Wraujr

Washer water overflows basement drain

Floor Drain Might Not Connect First, a "drywell" is simply a bunch of gravel. Many times floordrains simply connect to a small pit of gravel underneath the concrete slab. They are not intended for washer drains, but maybe condensation from an Air Conditioner or the over temp/pressure valve...
  20. Wraujr

Help - Reverse draft from water heater CO monitor going off

Check for Backdrafting Tightening your house (i.e. replacing patio door), may have caused other air exhausting appliances to depressurize your home. The following should be checked, bathroom and kitchen fans, dryer, and forced air furnace. With water heater off, turn on all bath/kitchen...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks