Search results

1. dmax56

Cracked heat exchanger in furnace

Hmmm...just thought it must the same as a hot water heater, having a sacrificial anode to protect the metal...but I know you know more than me...and yes, figured out how I'd know my boiler is failing!
  2. dmax56

Okay, I'm getting the idea that you guys have a serious issue with some 'supposedly' invisible, odorless gas! JK! This furnace has to be 20 years or older...so, although there might be practicality from seller's perspective to try to save anything by replacing only the heat exchanger, even if...
  3. dmax56

Fortunately, I haven't needed to do anything yet...but since I really need to plan my repairs without aid of another car going to get parts, I tend to plan my work pretty well. But, by doing that, I also find tons of little $2 parts that few mechanics on earth would bother replacing...either...
  4. dmax56

That's the answer then. Just asking, Terry. It wouldn't matter whether the future buyer had kids of any size or not, if there isn't a legitimate repair, there isn't. He told me his quote was $3800 to have furnace installed. NJ or just crazy high? A carrier unit...he thought a "184"...
  5. dmax56

A good friend of mine is selling his home and was just told yesterday that he has (and I saw) a 1/4" hole in the front corner of the heat exchanger in his gas fired heater. Is there a legitimate way to plug this hole that would pass inspection? It's obviously been working like this for...
  6. dmax56

Shutting off water supply from street

Guys, All done thanks to you...largely! Where I live in NJ, the 'City' doesn't turn off the street shut off, the water company does. Called for an 'appointment' and they said they'd turn off from 9-12 and then back on by end of day when I was done. They turned water off at 8:45; my wife...
  7. dmax56

HJ, I think the comment about the valve before the water meter was because my water meter has a valve inside the house before it. I also have a street shut off...and didn't even think that they could be locked...figured needing the street key was enough to stop most. I don't have that...
  8. dmax56

I'm just an idiot trying to save what's probably like $300 to have a plumber come to sweat one valve and the personal issues I'd have with my family if we went a day without water...but you make a very good point Mr. Doherty! A damn good point...especially because I know it'd cost far more if...
  9. dmax56

Ah, that's a decent reason. I was actually realizing how easy that would be when I looked at things...although I could do that without shutting off the street valve anyway. My leaking shutoff is before meter. But in any case, I'm glad I'm doing this...and getting that street key...coz if...
  10. dmax56

Thanks Thez! Out of curiosity, do your street valve covers also have a 'locking nut'? Pentagon design for the bolt head here is supposed to stop people that want to open it? LOL I thought that was pretty funny...like the city saying 'don't open it' only professionals should open this! Like...
  11. dmax56

Folks, First, it's been a while since I needed to be here, but want to thank so many of your for helping me do over a bathroom all by myself--though the kids carried some boxes of tile/plaster! Anyway, bath is great and no leaks about a year later! Now, my main water shut off valve is leaking...
  12. dmax56

Water heater pressure

Jim, Thanks again. On the pressure... When my faucet is open, I read 52 psi from gauge in water heater drain valve. I put that in the expansion tank. Now, the highest pressure I read is 60 psi, even when the heater is on. Before, I'd had 112. So, should I match the pressure of...
  13. dmax56

Water heater pressure

All done, guys! Added 2 gal. expansion tank, pumped it up to supply pressure of 52 lbs, and now, I'm sure you know, my pressure in the hot water heater is only 60 lbs, not the 112 it was before. So I thank you and my pipes/fittings/etc. all thank you! Doug
  14. dmax56

Water heater pressure

Thanks again guys. Guess I have some work to do! One thing I have to check, though, is whether I actually do have a backflow check valve...so if anyone is still reading this... I do have the PRV, but don't see another fitting inline between shutoff and meter. Is a check valve integral to...
  15. dmax56

Water heater pressure

Well, this seems like a good time to do it all...I'll be replacing the TP valve with one at 150 psi...not a lot more to cut in an expansion tank. Anyone happen to know if it's floating in a 3/4" copper pipe that spans about 5' total, whether there'd be any issue with its weight--I think...
  16. dmax56

Water heater pressure

You seem like such a trustworthy guy, I guess I'll believe you! I'm still curious, just for curiosities' sake, whether my situation is so uncommon...also, come to think of it, why didn't the inspector notice that when he inspected the heater installation five years ago? So, next question: is...
  17. dmax56

Water heater pressure

Hmmm, so this house survived for 50 years without expansion tank where one was supposed to be...been living on borrowed time I guess! LOL No, drinking water doesn't come through the same line directly...sorry. What I meant was that the supply into the T for the radiator boiler came from a...
  18. dmax56

Water heater pressure

I do have an expansion tank...filtrol model 110...WP 100 psi, charge pressure 12 psi (and I checked the pressure, it is 12 lbs....and there's no water coming out). So I guess the real question is that if this system has been working fine for the 15 years I've been in the home, and the...
  19. dmax56

Water Heater Dip Tube

Dip tubes online Cas, I just replaced my diptube and got one from Waterheaterrescue.com The curved diptube I got had close nipple attached...so did combo, flexible, mag anode they sold...since I didn't have separate anode on my brad-white heater. Hope that helps...sure they can get...
  20. dmax56

Water heater pressure

Crossed, posts, Redwood...sorry and thanks! Yes, it only goes up to 112 when it's heating. I just turned the faucet on for a second...cold water faucet for 2 secs. and pressure dropped to 80. Hot water turned on for a second, pressure dropped to 60. Since it's not heating right now, it's...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks