Search results

1. hans_idle

How do I identify this faucet?

This is the faucet in my kitchen. It drips, so I'm thinking it needs a new cartridge. The problem is that I have NO idea what brand it is. There is no name on it anywhere. It looks like I'll need one of those vendor-specific wrenches to remove the cartridge. So short of taking the whole...
  2. hans_idle

Toilet keeps loosening from floor

I just installed a Toto toilet in my upstairs bath. It is a standard installation and didn't take long. But now I'm having a problem with the toilet. Specifically, after tightening the 2 nuts that hold the toilet to the floor, the toilet is nice tight. But a week or two later, it rocks side...
  3. hans_idle

Need Advice: Repair or replace system

Hello everyone. I have a very general question, and of course, there is no right or wrong answer to this. But I'm looking for advice or opinions on my situation. I have a 20 year old house that still has the original furnace and A/C. I'm expecting to have to replace them at any time given...
  4. hans_idle

Getting confused about temp/pressure balancers

Here's the quick summary of what I'm doing. I'm remodeling a master bath that has BOTH a shower and a separate tub. According to the plumbing inspector here in central NJ, I need to have a thermostatic (not pressure) balancer on BOTH the shower and the tub. 1) Problem #1 - A requirement...
  5. hans_idle

Slow tub drain?

I have a standard 5' tub/shower in on of my bathrooms. When taking a shower, there are no drainage issues with a 2.5gallon/minute shower head. When someone takes a bath, however, the water takes a while to drain, or so it seems. The water comes in through a 1/2" pipe at 5 gallons per...
  6. hans_idle

Exterior wall piping and insulation

When running ABS through an exterior wall for drain and vent, how does fiberglass insulation get put into place? The existing R-13 Fiberglass insulation was installed 2 different ways. In some stud cavities, the ABS was in front of the fiberglass and paper vapor barrier that comes with it...
  7. hans_idle

Shower Valve Body Installation (NPT)

This seems like such a simple problem, but I'm at a loss as to how to deal with it. My wife just purchased a Jado shower head and valve body (pressure balanced). The inlets and outlet are 1/2" NPT. How the heck do I thread the copper supply pipes onto this? The supply line is always going...
  8. hans_idle

Cutting and extending ABS

In the picture below, I have 2 ABS "T" pipes. One is on the left, with the upper end going to the roof vent. The right-hand "T" is for a sink drain, and then it continues a few feet to the right for another sink. I need to move the right-hand "T" in the picture to the right about 20"...
  9. hans_idle

Teflon tape & copper

I am replacing most of the plumbing in my masterbath for a remodel. Today I ran new 1/2" supply lines through the joists (using existing holes from previous plumbing) and then up through the floor under the sinks. I used 1/2" O.D x 1/2" IPS ball valves on top of the supply lines. There are 4...
  10. hans_idle

How to get pipe in place?

In my bathroom, the 1/2" copper supply line that feeds the 2 sinks goes through about 5 joists that are on 16" centers. The joists are 2x10 or 2x12 (dont recall which). The longest continuous span of copper pipe (no "T" or couple in place) is about 4 feet long. Given that the holes are...
  11. hans_idle

Yet another question about boring holes in studs

I did a search and found quite a bit of information about boring holes in studs (including the Joist/Stud boring guide PDF), but I'm looking for a little more info. I have 2 sinks in my master bath against an outside wall. The ABS drain pipe comes up the wall to the left of the left-hand...
  12. hans_idle

Wiring in air shaft

I've heard that running AC wires through a heating/cooling duct is not allowed by code. I figured there are a number of reasons for this. My house has some ducting for the central heating and air, and there are also a number of air shafts that just use the space in the wall between studs (no...
  13. hans_idle

Running wire between studs

I'm remodeling my bathroom. Around the new airbath, I have built a podium that is about 20" high. This is basically a box around the tub. The box is about 12" from the wall on 3 sides. The power for the tub comes from the wall, and I was planning on running it along some of the studs for...
  14. hans_idle

Diameter of supply line?

I'm doing some plumbing work in my house and I have a choice to make. My new tub is within 3 feet of 3/4", 1/2" and 1/4" copper supply lines for hot and cold. To make a long story short, the builder of the house ran the supplies through 2 reducers for some reason and had the 1/4" supply line...
  15. hans_idle

GFCI outlet AND breaker?

I'm working through my master bath remodel. The previous whirlpool was on a 120V GFCI breaker. The same circuit also powers the bathroom fan. The new airbath tub runs on the same voltage, so I can re-use the same circuit. Whereas the old tub was hardwired to the electrical service, the new...
  16. hans_idle

No mortar under BainUltra airbath?

I'm a DIYer and have just started a master-bath remodel. I've removed a whirlpool tub that has a capacity of 150 gallons. Now I'm preparing the site for a new BainUltra airbath with a capcity of 65 gallons. Looking through the instructions for the BainUltra tub (Amma 42"x72" oval), there is...
  17. hans_idle

Moving tub drain (through joist)

I see quite a few posts here on the forum about moving a tub drain. I've attached 2 pictures of how my tub drain looks as of right now. As you can see, the home builder hacked a hole in the joist for the tub drain piping and the waste line. Looks a little messy to me. Both pictures are of...
  18. hans_idle

Wall switch for whirlpool tub

I am currently remodeling my master bath. I'm removing an American Standard whirlpool tub and putting in a BainUltra air-bath. In the existing setup, there is a wall switch that activates the tub's circuit for the jets, sort of like a master override. But I can't figure out why it is needed...
  19. hans_idle

Master Bath Remodel

Hello everyone. I've been looking for a good resource like this site for a while. I finally stumbled upon it when someone referenced it over in the John Bridge tile forums. I'm doing a complete bathroom remodel. I'm in the planning stages right now. Trying to work out a couple of...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks