Search results

1. tom-rad

kitchen sink drain/strainer, no paper gasket?

I bought an Elkay stainless steel drain and it doesn't come with a paper gasket, just a thin rubber one. Is that all I'll need (besides plumber's putty)? Guess they don't think the paper gasket is needed. Thanks!
  2. tom-rad

Proflo caulk any good?

Got a tube of Proflo plumber's siliconized latex caulk from a plumber. Is this good stuff? Sealing around tub where it meets tile. Or should I buy my usual (Ace Hardware brand siliconized latex caulk). Thanks! Edit: I just looked at the label, apparently a house brand of Ferguson. I just was...
  3. tom-rad

Kitchen sink basket drain types

My old sink drain is a cheap plastic one, which has the nut tightened right up to the sink bottom. I bought a new Elkay which has a metal 'pressure cup'. Any advantage of one type over the other? Or opinions on these? Thanks. And Happy Thanksgiving!
  4. tom-rad

Delta 600 shower escutcheon - gasket

Does anyone know if the white foam seals, or gaskets, for this trim piece are available separately, or will I need to replace the escutcheon? Mine is aout 40 years old but looks almost new except for the foam. Thanks. Also, if I have to replace it, do they make just two depths? Mine looks...
  5. tom-rad

Not sure where to put this question - how tight?

I wasn't sure if this would go with my washing machine valve question or not....but...... Installing the new valve, 1/2", NPT, used both Teflon tape and Oatey Great White. I hand tightened it, but thought I went too far. Didn't need a wrench. Going to clean it up and try again. My question is...
  6. tom-rad

Best washing machine shutoffs?

I just tried to fix an old washing machine fill valve (gate valve) with leak at the packing - didn't work out. Two questions - one, I bought a hose bib from Lowe's (American Valve #14087). The angle of the hose connection is closer to 45 degree, more straight than downward like the old one. Is...
  7. tom-rad

American Standard 2 knob faucet cartridge - tightening - valve open or closed?

Replacing an American Standard cartridge with new Brass Craft replacement stem ST0332X. Instructions say hand tighten then 1/4 turn with wrench. But, would this be valve open or closed (with rubber seal compressed as if water was on (or valve open), or relaxed (as if the knob were off)? Thanks...
  8. tom-rad

potential relay

Can anyone tell me what would cause a potential relay to not open? Original issue began with chattering relay, then no startup (bad run cap found also). The relay has been changed, and I get 200v on the caps at startup. Bad compressor winding maybe? It's a Bryant/Carrier Two speed. Compressor...
  9. tom-rad

need help - Bryant Evolution Hi Therm Cutout

Having some trouble with my two speed compressor - it's a Bryant 698B, installed exactly 8 years ago. First problem, my installer is no longer working on them. I'm on my own to some extent, and due to extremely limited funds (out of work), have to troubleshoot this as much as possible by myself...
  10. tom-rad

This has turned into a mess.......can't tighten dome enough

I had to replace the dome cap on the old Delta bath valve. The new one is Rp50, the replacement for my old one. Everything worked out fine, except the 'collar' behind the dome cap, the chrome piece that covers the valve body, is loose. The dome cap seems right, the lever feels right (the new cam...
  11. tom-rad

Do the springs in a Delta single lever unit have to be replaced if still good?

Or, can you just replace the seats? Do you guys see the springs fail often? Just wondered. Thanks.
  12. tom-rad

to clarify: Delta TPR type seat, is it the right one for the old valve?

Sorry if my other post may be too confusing, what I really need to know is if I should use the concave looking seat with this old style valve, or, are the newer TPR (?) Delta seats better (or even the same)? It looks the same except for the face, it's not concave (like a suction cup) like the...
  13. tom-rad

1970's Delta single handle bath valve, springs, seats.........very confused......

Hi, This old fixture has turned into a can of worms.... I had a constant drip, soon a steady stream running all the time, like the water was turned on. So, pulled valve apart and bought Delta RP4993 repair kit with spring and seat set. Also, new dome nut (that was fun to remove). Found Delta...
  14. tom-rad

Got my toilet back in service, thanks Terry & Jim...

You guys know plumbing. Every bit of advice I found here was correct. The reason for the leak was the toilet was sitting on the flange, and I had used a 'No Seep' ring with the plastic insert. I did as your site recommended, used a regular wax ring, put it on the flange, set the toilet on it...
  15. tom-rad

Vinyl floor at toilet flange sealing question (photo attached)

Photo attached............................... Hi, I just replaced my vinyl flooring, and miscut at the toilet flange. I don't want water to get under the floor again, is this type of cut typical? Do I need to seal it with silicone or something? Thought a plumber would know, since you guys...
  16. tom-rad

water heater flex question

I installed 12" ss braided flex lines on my water heater, and the directions say 'hand tight plus 1/4 turn'. I wrapped my fist around the fitting, and turned by hand until they stopped. No leaks, but should I do the extra 1/4 turn w/wrench? Don't want to distort the rubber washer too much, or...
  17. tom-rad

Legend cpvc, or Mueller brass ball valve?

I just installed ss braided flex hoses from my water heater tank to cpvc. Would it be overkill to use cpvc to 3/4"npt brass transition to a brass ball valve? Or, should most applications warrant just the cpvc valve? (hadn't been turned off since 1985). Old cpvc valves were marked flo-control...
  18. tom-rad

KBI cpvc valves USA made, any opinions?

I bought these KBI cpvc valves today, but not familiar with the brand. Anyone know about this company? I have a choice of Legend or KBI. Leaning toward the KBI, as it's USA made, the Legend is China (although the Legend is Teflon lined. Thanks.
  19. tom-rad

plastic riser question.... (help!)

Hi, I am replacing some copper risers at my bathroom sink with PEX. I have a choice of MerFlex and Zurn PEX, with the correct plastic ferrules. My question is: How tight do I need to make the connection at the stop valve end? I've expoerimented (with a scrap piece), and found that one half turn...
  20. tom-rad

PEX riser tightening, how many turns at stop?

:confused: Hi, I am replacing some copper risers at my bathroom sink with PEX. I have a choice of MerFlex and Zurn PEX, with the correct plastic ferrules. My question is: How tight do I need to make the connection at the stop valve end? I've expoerimented (with a scrap piece), and found that...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks