Search results

1. Giles

Price for Black Iron Pipe?

I sent my wife to purchase one stick each of 1/2 and 3/8 Black Iron Pipe from a local retailer. These were 21 foot length of pipe. She was charged $27.77 for the 1/2" pipe and $121.13 for the 3/8" pipe.:( I called to see if a mistake was made and was told that the price for 3/8 pipe was...
  2. Giles

Pipe dies

I am in need of a used 3/8" Ridgid Pipe Die. I have some different size dies that are 12R. There are a few 00R listed on **** but they look a litthe different. Will the 00R work with my 12R handle?
  3. Giles

Natural Gas Supply Line

I plan to install gas logs in my fireplace. The fireplace has book shelves, with bottom cabinet, on either side and the cleanest installation would be to drill through the bottom cabinet shelf and exit in the corner of the face and harth brick. For a clean look, I would like for the gas...
  4. Giles

Roof Vent Pipe

Don't really know where to post this----I have a 20 year old home and discovered a small leak from one of my Vent Risers. I got on the roof and I have something I have never seen. The 3 inch PVC pipe that extends out roof, is inside an all metal roof flange. I understand the purpose but don't...
  5. Giles

Blower Motor Control

Can I use a variable speed switch with this type motor? http://www.surpluscenter.com/item.asp?item=16-1403&catname=electric
  6. Giles

What is this?????----Septic Tank Riser

My new home is about 20 years old and I have lived here about two years. The PO told me that this was a "septic tank cleanout cover". I am not having a problem with the system, but out of curiousity, I removed the cap and I have no idea what this set up is. It appears that this is a...
  7. Giles

Water Saving Toilet.

I have three nearly new toilets in a new to me home. They work perfect but, as you know, use a lot of water. I have been told that a special "flap valve" can be purchased to allow water saving or regular flush. Do these work as advertised?
  8. Giles

Can you tolerate ONE More question about Sub-Panel?

I am in the process of installing a subpanel in a separate basement storage room. The proper size wire will run through a wall and about 30' from the main panel. This is the FIRST subpanel from the main box. I plan to run Three single conductor wires from the main Panel to the sub and connect...
  9. Giles

A simple Question

When working with simple 110v cords, such as lamp cord, where there is only two wires, I know that the small spade is the hot. Some of these cords have an identifying "rib" molded into the outer covering. I have always thought the "rib" was to identify the "hot", however I have recently found...
  10. Giles

Could you helpful people stand one more simple question??

I have a HAVC inside blower motor and housing that I would like to install as a vent fan for my shop. The wireing diagram states that the motor is 208-240v . Black wire is High speed and the Red wire is Low speed. There is also a Yellow wire that is labeled Common. Am I correct in thinking...
  11. Giles

Conduit Runs and box wireing

I am adding a branch circuit box to a storage room. This box will supply power for a 220v welder and a small 220 4K watt heater. I have noticed that all the 110v wireing is in 1/2" conduit from the celing down. Is this required by most codes, and what about "overhead runs"? Also, since this...
  12. Giles

Ground wire size

Over the years, I have noticed that on some romex type wire and some extension cords have a ground wire that is smaller then the load wires. I always thought it was correct to have the same gauge wires. When is a smaller ground wire ok?
  13. Giles

Thermostat

I have an old natural gas central unit. It is heat only and is old enough that is uses a mechanical fan control switch. I only use it, in place of my heatpump, when temps are in the 20s. It works beaautifully--maybe to good. I am using a new Honeywell Pro TH311OD and when the outdoor temp is...
  14. Giles

Septic Field Lines

Don't know where to post this and it may sound a little weard. Anyway, where I live, it is extremly dry at my newely purchased home. My septic system is not giving any problems and I know where the Tank is located. I have some large equipment like trucks and tractors that I would like to keep...
  15. Giles

Correct wiring of GFCI Breaker

Some time ago, a friend gave me some circuit breakers. One in question is a SIEMONS QPF 120. On the side of the breaker, the attached ground wire is marked "Panel Neutral". Then just above this , is a terminal marked "Load Neutral". The other terminal is not marked but has white paint above...
  16. Giles

Small job turned big.

Just thought I would share something I was surprised to find. I bought two new faucets for my double vanity. With them came the drain down tube with stopper. After installing the faucets, I proceeded to change the drains and found that someone had used "plumbers putty" all over the threads and...
  17. Giles

Heat pump auxilary heat

I have a Carrier heat pump that is about 7 years old. On the thermostat, when auxilary heat indicator is blinking, it is drawing 30amps. Zero reading when not in aux. heat. This was taken with ampmeter around one wire at the inside unit disconnect. The outside unit was running. This is a split...
  18. Giles

Storm on inside??

I have a 20 year old home with insulated aluminum double hung windows. They have screens on the outside and glass , moveable and removable storm windows on the inside. I have never seen this type window and I would like to get a few for an addition. I cannot find a name or number anywhere...
  19. Giles

GAS Leak Detector

First of all I would like to express that I am very pleased with this web site. Although responses are sometimes few, every question I have asked in the past, has received professional no-nonsence replys. With that being said, I have another question. I am just a homeowner that takes great...
  20. Giles

GFCI receptacle install

I have installed many gfci receptacles. I know that if installed first from breaker, downstream rec. will be protected. Is there an easier way to locate the first rec. other then disconnecting what you think is the first and verifying?
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks