Search results

1. NurseDoe

Reviving Old Irrigation System

There was a huge lawn and lots of trees out back when I moved here 25 years ago. Everything was on wonderful automatic timers-the lawn, the trees etc. Drought happened so I let the lawn die many years ago. Now, I want to use that same system if possible to set up irrigation-likely drip for...
  2. NurseDoe

Plumbing problems are baaaaaack

Hello Again. When last I saw you the nightmare of plumbing problems for our main water line had finally been resolved. Since that time, 2-4 more leaks developed in that mysterious black pipe that led to digging up the area and patching with some VERY expensive clamps made for that purpose. Now...
  3. NurseDoe

This is why plumbers get paid the big buck!

So, the galvanized pipe from the 1950's broke under the patio. Scores of plumbers gave estimates for more than I make in month, but when we settled on one, he took the deposit and disappeared. So, enter good guy plumbers with good skills and common sense but still more money that I have. So my...
  4. NurseDoe

HELP! Underwater and over my head. Supply main leak

I nearly cried when I opened the 789.87 dollar water bill! A huge water leak and we didn't notice. Called a friend, who remembered stepping in a muddy place at the far end of the patio a couple weeks earlier and he assumed someone had left a water hose on too long. So, in the past two days, we...
  5. NurseDoe

Do I really need 2 furnaces?

I live in the High Desert. We have some pretty cold winters and the heater is used Dec-Mar. My house is a 1950's ranch with 4 bedrooms/ 3 baths. 3/2 are original. In the 1970's they converted the attached garage into a living room and added a bedroom. I have 2 water heaters and 2 forced air...
  6. NurseDoe

No water after repair

I can't get the water to go on after fixing the leaking sink. Years ago one of the double sink in the 1950's bathroom kept leaking so we turned the water off underneath and always used the other sink. This morning hot water began leaking from the sink, so I replaced the angle valves, the...
  7. NurseDoe

Part 2

Septic Tank vs Vent Okay, things cleared up for awhile. But now we are back to everything being clogged. Let's see if I can make sense of layout of pipes. My side of the house is a two car garage coverted to living room with a bedroom added. First, is the washer, in the old "garage", next...
  8. NurseDoe

Shower leaking into toliet?

OMG! Now what? I found out that the seal between the tub and drain pipe was lost by those whacky plumbers and that is why is was leaking. I will take the darn thing off and put that on today. AND when I take a long shower, the toliet starts bubbling. What the heck? Oh, I just want to move, guys...
  9. NurseDoe

Tinsey leak in the bowl

My newly installed toliet always seems to have a tiny bit of water dripping down the back of the bowl. Just enough to disturb the water when I look down. In this age of ultra conservation, I just want to make sure it isn't running my water bill up. Where do I need to tighten something?
  10. NurseDoe

Bathtub flooded my room

The saga continues. The bathtub finally installed. The tilers finished the walls b/c between the two jobs, I just could never get it done. I have been showering for several weeks, very happy for the hot water. Today, I decided to take a bath. While in the tub, I noticed the water kept going...
  11. NurseDoe

Shims or start over?

Hi Again! So, my son helped out by installing the stringer for the tub. However, he did not use a level and after the tub was in (again) it sort of rocks. And not in a good way. I am able to get my fingers and a pencil under there to mark the gaps. By myself, I can and did slide the tub out...
  12. NurseDoe

Another Framing Question

As long as the darn tub is back out, I thought I would work on getting the insulation and framing straight on the wall behind the tub. That wall has been framed "on the flat". However, the new tub is narrower and will allow traditional framing. This sounds better to me because I can then put in...
  13. NurseDoe

Pro for tub drain?

Okay, this tub drain is beyond what I am willing to do. I am sure I could eventually learn how to use a jack hammer, but I just want to take a shower! The first of 3 plumbers came by to give estimate to install tub drain. $500.00. He said he will have jack hammer up the concrete to get to the...
  14. NurseDoe

Mold

I want to ask what you think about the seriousness of mold. I know it is a big deal these days. People charging thousands and dressing all up in Hazmat outfits with respirators to take out a wet wall. I am not sure that most of the time it warrents all of that caution. We have plumbing leaks...
  15. NurseDoe

Remove frozen bathtub drain

Remove frozen bathtub drain=Update at the bottom 1. Cross bar things are gone. 2. Tried prying up a piece and grabbing with needle nose pliers to turn. No luck 3. Used hacksaw blade to cut a notch at the angle where the flat part of the flange goes down to the drain. Then screw driver and...
  16. NurseDoe

$ 20,000 for a new drain?

So, we spoke with our trusted helper at Home Depot, Bonnie. She looked at us very sadly after we told her about the galvanized pipe drain from bath #3 going bad and an unknown leak between the two bathroom walls that will lead to demo to the studs of one and now possibly both bathrooms. She said...
  17. NurseDoe

Help with Demo

I finished most of my bathroom remodel and it looked so good, I decided to put up a new tub surround. My daughter in law, Dorothy and I got up early and began taking down some tiles using hammer and chisel. What we found underneath is another nightmare. He tiled over at least 1/2 inch plywood...
  18. NurseDoe

HELP! Gas Water Heater Leaking!

OKay, this an urgent one. The gas water heater in the hallway is leaking from a pipe on top. It looks like a copper corregated 3/4 or 1 inch thing that is coming out from the top of the water heater. It is hot! And is goes down a pipe that disappears under the cabinet that it sits in. Two...
  19. NurseDoe

Plumbing Time Bomb!

I love my 1950's ranch house, with the 1970's add-on of bedroom, family room and "bath" (5x6, including tub/shower!). In the past few months/days all the plumbing has started to break in one way or another. It has led to serious remodeling for do it yourselfers. We are getting really frustrated...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks