Search results

1. DIYMike

Taco Ciruclation pump is whining

Model: 006 BC4 PNP 3 years old, already installed. Was whining. I thought it was the replacable cartridge/impeller and replaced it. It wasn't. Still whining. Seems to be moving water, but just whines. 1) Is this common? Is it due to having the unit on a timer? 2) I assume it's in the...
  2. DIYMike

Toilet installation - flange extension

Shoulda, coulda, woulda: Replaced the flange when I had easy access to the floor, raising the height to accommodate future 1 7/8" of tile/substrate. didn't. oops. Where I am: Tile complete. Net height differential from finished floor to Flange top: 1 3/8". (Easy access to complete...
  3. DIYMike

Gurgling Tub

Just removed and reinstalled a soak tub. I'm using a Watts trip lever drain asssembly (used to have to reach into the tub to pull the plug). Anywho... Now, when draining, it gurgles. I don't remember if it did before. When I put my hand over the drain (to slow down the drain flow) the...
  4. DIYMike

Copper joint won't hold!!!

Does MAPP come in the same canisters and propane? is it reasonable for a DIY'er? I'm a little confused. Does the higher temp heat it more evenly or faster? Why is it better? I also thought that part of my problem was that I was heating the fitting TOO much and burning the flux...
  5. DIYMike

Well, it seemed to have worked this time. I could definately tell that the capilary action was in play. Tub is all hooked up and no leaks. Gonna give a few days before I lock it in. First, I did a test joint on the old valve assembly. It also took a long time, but when I was done, i took...
  6. DIYMike

Thanks Mike. That's a good site. Same info as all the DIY books, except for the flame length. I read somewhere that if there is a leak, to disassemble, replace the fitting and clean the pipes, not to just try to reheat it. What's your take? Also after disassebling... is it necessary...
  7. DIYMike

Any special tips to re-soldering? When I separated the pieces last time, one side was covered in solder, the other was bare. I was not able to scrape off the solder. The other side shined right up. So I added flux to both at reattempted the joint. So - the one that originally worked...
  8. DIYMike

Thanks Terry. Yes - I meant sweating... Propane torch, solder, flux, etc. I'm using the bristle brushes for inside and outside of the joints. Then fluxing, and assembling. the first time - all joints were "new" and clean. When I disassembled the joint, the "Hot" side (the one that took)...
  9. DIYMike

I'm sweating a Moen tub rough-in valve assembly. here is a link to the assembly: Moen part # 4999 The tube from the each valve to the "T" are heavier gage 1/2 copper. I have a short standard 1/2" copper piece between the "T" and the outflow tube. When welding the T fitting, the solder...
  10. DIYMike

ABS Compression fitting to Brass tub drain

I have a brass tub drain assembly that connects to an ABS compression fitting. There are rubber gaskets on the brass tub compression fittings, but not on the ABS compression fitting (to the brass down tube). The ABS fitting has a core of black ABS, and the threaded ring is translucent...
  11. DIYMike

Can I reuse my tub filler?

Thanks, I feel better now.
  12. DIYMike

Correction - mistake revealed Just in case anyone else has this question - the valve assemblies are factory soldered. I was able to remove the filler connection, but the other two could not be seperated. I had cut the copper tubes too close to the assembly... had I not, I could have reused...
  13. DIYMike

Cannot unsweat brass/copper fitting

Moen 4999 Thanks for your help Clayton. You clued me in to the problem, and solution. The roughin for this unit is 4999... ~$70. Found them online, but hope to find one locally (North County San Diego).
  14. DIYMike

yep - then I need to replace them :( Darn, I was fooled by the easy to remove filler connection. I not only cut them too short, but I'm sure I overheated them as well. So - are replacements going to cost as much as a whole new setup?
  15. DIYMike

I'm trying to seperate the 1/2"copper tubing from my moen tub filler valve assembly. I was able to remove the copper from the brass "filler" tube, but cannot remove it from the brass "valve" tube. It looks like a sweat connection, it seems hot enough and touching solder to it melts instantly...
  16. DIYMike

Nevermind ;) on closer inspection, it's brass. I'm ready to re-sweat. Thanks anyway.
  17. DIYMike

Ok - so I read some other posts about copper joints... but this is the brass fitting (to copper). I unsweated the filler fitting. No problem. I used my inside wire brush and it seems to have worked, but the color of the brushed area is closer to the color of the solder than it is to brass...
  18. DIYMike

I have remodeled our master bath. The tub fill was in fine working condition. I want to change the layout of the knobs and spout. It is constructed with 1/2 copper sweated into the brass fittings. My question is this - can I "De-sweat" the fittings so I can move things around? If so - once...
  19. DIYMike

Tricks to locate loose suppy line

Book: Stanley - Complete Plumbing @2003 I believe you ...
  20. DIYMike

Tricks to locate loose suppy line

Thanks for the link. Makes sense to me. So - I ran the first load of laundry last night and no audible hammer (the pipe banging that I was trying to fix in the first place was GONE!!). As I mentioned, the cold supply was touching a gas pipe, and when I tapped on it, it recreated the...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks