Search results

1. cacophonous

Sayco Shower Diverter Problem/Question

Wrong forum! j/k I think you are refering to the stem. It's been cut-off with a saw. See the very first photo middle hole.
  2. cacophonous

I originally bought the hot/cold stems at a Home Depot. Thats where I was told the Diverter is simply a hot or cold stem. Ok I went to a plumbing supply place today (which I should have gone to in the first place). They had the actual diverter which looks like this: In this photo you can...
  3. cacophonous

hj - What do you think if I took a piece of threaded pipe and screwed it into the sleeve? Not sure if it would fit around the course threads on the stem though.
  4. cacophonous

hj - Thanks so much. I was not sure if that was a sleeve or not and was going to remove the hot or cold diverter to see if it looked different inside the valve housing. BTW - The store where I bought the stems only sell that particular Sayco model in hot and cold. They said use a hot (or...
  5. cacophonous

I imagine its just lime or other buildup in there. I tried soaking it in PB for some time then with a vise grip I tried pulling it out while turning it, etc. For now I'm spraying lime remover and letting it sit.
  6. cacophonous

I sprayed PB in the valve body cavity then thought about it for a few. I then rotated the threaded part of the diverter out by rotating the stem in the opposite direction. This is where I am at with the stem stuck inside the valve body:
  7. cacophonous

Update: I had my buddy turn a 6 point 13/16" Deep Well socket down in his lathe to remove the chamfered lead. This way I could grap the thin hex section in the rear of the diverter. That did the trick, well sort of. It broke the diverter free where it completely unthreads but its...
  8. cacophonous

Net Gear wireless adaptor

Even more imporant than using encryption, change the name of your SSID to something other than default, preferably something complicated and most important turn SSID broadcasting off. When you configure each computer you will have to manually enter the SSID since you won't be broadcasting.
  9. cacophonous

I may be able to cut an access door from behind but it would be big hassle. I had another thought. Maybe I could cut the stem closer to the hex. Drill a hole just larger than the center stem diameter, then tap it with a left hand thread tap slightly larger than the ID of the stem. Get a...
  10. cacophonous

Thanks for the input hj. You are right I have to get it out. That idea I had about adding a spout diverter was a fleeting thought. How do you feel about using heat? Also if I can't get the packing nut back in due to the out-of-round condition of the ID threads is my only option to...
  11. cacophonous

Thanks for the reply Eric. I tried the Craftsman version of the Erwin bolt extractor. It grips well but I didn't want to use too much force and break the stem off...yet. :) I think heat will be my next attempt before cutting the wall open.
  12. cacophonous

Too late! I must have rendered the ID threads out-of-round because I can't get the packing nut back in. :) I at one point could thread it back in because I tried it both ways.
  13. cacophonous

Hj HJ - I noticed your reply to a similar problem with a Sayco diverter. I also removed the packing nut first. I haven't broke mine yet but have rounded the hex a bit. At this point should I put it back in or is it too late?
  14. cacophonous

Hi everyone, I'm in process of replacing the faucet stems (older Sayco) due to various reasons (mostly worn/loose and/or leaking while water running) and handles (strictly cosmetic reasons) in our tub/shower. The hot/cold stems came out easily using plumbing sockets. The center diverter...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks