Search results

1. CHH

W/H replacament

Depending on how hot the tank is set for and who might be using the hot water, a mixing valve might be appropriate. I've got my heater set at 140 and keep telling myself to add the mixing valve. One of these days I'll do it. Really...
  2. CHH

indirect hot water heater coil leaking...

Pete - a couple comments: I think you've described things fairly well. Your comment about drawing pictures is a common desire. You can post pictures (or drawings saved as pictures) in this forum using the "Attach Files" option. Your concept of continuing to use the indirect as a storage...
  3. CHH

5 circulators + argo arm 6

18 gauge is common for thermostat wire - 2 conductor is minimum required for heat only - you'll need at least 4 conductor for heat and A/C I've seen power to circulators handled with either armored or an appliance cord and plug (the receptacle was on conduit). Not sure if the appliance cord...
  4. CHH

Indirect HW shut off

Any single pole switch rated for at least 24 VAC should be fine. I'd probably just use a simple light switch.
  5. CHH

Tap water too hot?

That's a good point Jad. The thermometer well has a ledge in it that can "hang up" the sensor. Since the ledge is in a ways, if the sensor bulb is short enough then the installer might not notice that things weren't quite right. I had a few moments of "what's going on here?" when installing...
  6. CHH

Tap water too hot?

Your picture labels are right on the mark. If the aquastat is calling for heat the circulator for the indirect will be running. The circulators are pretty quiet compared to the noise of a boiler firing so you might not hear it. There is a little vibration and the motor housing gets pretty...
  7. CHH

Tap water too hot?

I sure don't see a zone valve on the indirect piping. The only thing that might be a flow control is the brass fitting between the indirect and the circulator. Is that just a check valve? I can't tell. Maybe someone else recognizes it. Do the lines from the boiler to the indirect get hot when...
  8. CHH

Tap water too hot?

Pictures help. An existing indirect tank was replaced with a SuperStor. A few more close up pictures of the entire supply and return lines between the boiler and SuperStor would clarify the questions I have on the controls. The circulator is apparent but I can't see if there is a zone...
  9. CHH

Tap water too hot?

Pictures, post pictures Yup - the aquastat should control flow to hit the target temperature. If it doesn't then something is wrong. This is kind of important and it could be a safety issue. Give the guy a call today. Leave a message if he doesn't pick up.
  10. CHH

Tap water too hot?

The SuperStor is an indirect water heater. It's basically a big tank with a heat exchanger in it. It looks similar to a stand alone water heater but it doesn't have a gas or electric line attached to it. It does have hot water from the boiler piped to a connection near the bottom of the tank...
  11. CHH

Tap water too hot?

Was the Superstor zone added with a control valve or just a circulator? Assuming the thermostat is working correctly, I'm guessing that "ghost flow" may be a problem.
  12. CHH

Off level

I'd suggest just shimming it on the existing pad rather than going to a lot of trouble trying to re-level the ground. The concept is that the existing pad has settled all it's going to so shimming to level will fix things up. If you level the ground underneath then it'll just settle again. As...
  13. CHH

Pipe sweating

When I was taught to sweat we cut our joints lengthwise and then tore the halves apart to examine the solder coverage. Solder on the outside does not necessarily mean solder on the inside. Take some time with soldering half a joint at a time and you can see if the solder penetrates all the way...
  14. CHH

AVV installation

Ask the plumber when you call him. He's been on location so he should be able to give a fairly good estimate. Maybe also call around a bit to check pricing. Some of the dedicated "roto-rooter" types may give flat pricing and guarantee their work (come back for no fee).
  15. CHH

AVV installation

Hmmm, unclog the stack or add a component to the system? My answer would be to unclog the stack. Sometimes adding a component to replace the function of a failed component is a good idea. In this case, the traps in the toilets would still be exposed to venting problems so the correct...
  16. CHH

Slow Computer Today

Naw, it couldn't be that. It had to be the 'slagit that plugs into the gozonda. Those things are always going down.:)
  17. CHH

Honeywell Zone Valve Replacement

My old system had Honeywell V8043F and I changed one powerhead. No water leaked while changing the powerhead. It should be fairly easy to tell if the powerhead failed or if there is another problem. What are the symptoms?
  18. CHH

Replacing the water main? Do I really have to?

No. Just check the pressure with all fixtures shut off and ahead of any PRV.
  19. CHH

Replacing the water main? Do I really have to?

I get about 1.2 sq in for 1.25 in diameter pipe. Am I having a bad day or is Gary? At least we agree on the area of 1 in pipe.
  20. CHH

Common Venting

In general, no. A damper such as you describe would be a dangerous obstruction. Some appliances have powered dampers to prevent backflow. Those appliances also have controls setup to prevent operation if the damper fails to open completely. I don't know if a powered damper can be used on a...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks