Search results

1. northman

Gas Water Heater, intermittently cold

Hi All. I have a BW water heater that sometimes will be cold in the morning when I want to shower, and it has been much worse lately. Tank is about 7 years old, model #M-1-XR65T6BN. This is a 65 gallon tank with 65,000 BTU, when it is working well it should provide almost continuous hot water...
  2. northman

How to clean old plumber's putty from porcelain?

Hello all, I have an old porcelain sink that I want to install in my bathroom remodel. What is the best way to clean the old gunk from the drain area? I assume I don't want to use anything abrasive, so what works best without harming the porcelain? Thanks for the help. Greg
  3. northman

Toilet recomendation, concrete floor with radiant heat?

Hello all, I will shortly be needing a toilet for my soon to be completed downstairs remodel. I read through some of Terry's info, and it looks like something along the lines of a Toto Drake would be a good choice. The floor is concrete with hydronic radiant heat. I've heard that radiant heat...
  4. northman

Delta shower valve rough-in

I just roughed in the plumbing for a new bathroom, and installed the rough-in body for a Delta shower. When I bought it the only one they had on hand had the optional stops, so that is what I took. I plumbed it up and only got the hot side all connected before it was quitting time, so I...
  5. northman

problem with water heater thermostat?

Hello all, I have a 1 year old Bradford-White gas water heater, works great when all is well. On a couple occasions it seems as if the thermostat does not turn it on when it should, and I have a lukewarm soon to be cold shower. Most recently this happened yesterday, I had turned off the main...
  6. northman

proper way to plumb a tempering valve?

Hello all, I am going to install a tempering valve at the hot water heater. Is it better to T off the cold pipe to the tempering valve before or after the cold water shutoff valve? I'm thinking one way is better, and of course the other is easier, just like a little reinforcement before I...
  7. northman

what is typical temp range for a water heater?

what I mean is, what is the difference in temp from when the t-stat is initially satisfied (say 120 deg) and when the flame kicks back on after the hot water has been depleted somewhat? I have a Bradford-White gas water heater, seems like there can be maybe a 20 deg swing in temp, was...
  8. northman

copper pipe straps, solder?

I noticed in a couple places the plumber that did work on my house soldered the copper pipe straps to the pipe, is this normally done? I had always just thought they screwed down and held the pipe with friction, never thought about soldering them. Greg
  9. northman

piping for condensate drain, good or bad?

Just posted this in the plumbing forum, then figured out it may be more appropriate here. Just had a new high-efficiency natural-gas furnace installed, with no suitable drain available for the condensate a pump was installed and the condensate is pumped up a pipe and out the side of the house...
  10. northman

piping for condensate drain, good or bad?

Not sure if this is the appropriate forum, but I'm sure this has come up before. Just had a new high-efficiency natural-gas furnace installed, with no suitable drain available for the condensate a pump was installed and the condensate is pumped up a pipe and out the side of the house to drain...
  11. northman

dual T&P valves a good idea?

doing a remodel where I have extensively re-worked the plumbing. Water heater is in a walk-out basement, was plumbed with the usual 150 psi relief valve out the side of the tank, piped down toward the floor. There was also a 125 psi relief valve on the hot pipe shortly after exiting the tank...
  12. northman

Recomendations for a shower valve?

I am roughing in a new shower, just a basic 3x3 shower that will be primarily guest use. Does anyone have preferences for brand or model to ensure a quality unit? The wife/architect will probably need final authority on the style choice, but if I can steer her towards a couple quality...
  13. northman

using a ball or gate valve as a throttle?

If there is water flow that needs to be throttled, would a ball valve or a gate valve be more appropriate? Or something else? Thanks. Greg
  14. northman

toilet flange question

Hi all, I recently had a slab poured, the concrete ended up quite a bit thicker than anticipated, so the pipe for the toilet is a fair bit too short. I had wrapped it in some foam and tape to keep concrete off the pipe, and then the concrete guys buried it completely, then dug a hole around it...
  15. northman

dumb question about pipe supports

I will be running some hot water pipes and want to fully insulate them. What is the best way to support the pipe, hang it and then install the foam pipe insulation, cutting around the hangers as best as possible, or slip on the insulation first and hang the whole thing from the outside of the...
  16. northman

what is a vacuum relief valve for?

on a water heater/expansion tank installation? Looking at the Watts site to size an expansion tank, they show a vacuum relief valve installed at the water heater. What is the purpose? Is it necessary or are they just trying to sell parts? Greg
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks