Search results

1. S

Fiberglass Shower, No Tile, Sheetrock?

I have a basement bathroom that will probably not get near as much traffic as any of the upper story bathrooms. It has a shower, 36"x36", toilet and sink. Everything is still at a rough in stage except that the fiberglass shower has been installed. Everything I have read talks about what to...
  2. S

Wiring and Insulation

When putting in batt insulation is it best to leave the wires in the wall in front of the insulation or behind? If in front then they can be accessed if the need was ever then, but the wire is then susceptible to nails for hanging pictures. Thanks
  3. S

Humming Dimmers

They are for incondecent bulbs, 600w. The most I have is 360w, 6x60w. I have read about the bulbs humming, but this is the dimmer. I guess they are still to cheap. They say that have an RFI filter, but it must be filtering something else. My worry is really the heat.
  4. S

Humming Dimmers

I got 3 dimmers from HD in the $10-15 range. (Really all they had in a 3way dimmer.) Two of them have been installed and they, not the lights, produce a slight hum as the lights are dimmed. The dimmer the more hum. If there was background noise in the room, tv or radio you would probably...
  5. S

Smoke Alarms and Outlets

Not at all, just some excited fat fingers. CO (carbon monoxide) is what I meant. Thanks for the help
  6. S

Smoke Alarms and Outlets

I had read about the interconnective issue. I will have to see how the rest of the house is wired for this. The house is ~20 years old. At least I would be able to wire the basement one together. This is a two story house with a basement. I have read that in the case of an addition, which...
  7. S

Smoke Alarms and Outlets

2 questions. #1 I know I need smoke alarms and CO2 alarms in the basement but I cant fine any thing on how many. See image. I figured a CO and smoke alarm (and I know there are different kinds) in the furnace room, far from the ignition source of the furnace and hot water heater. Does...
  8. S

Hidden electrical boxes in ceiling.

I guess I'm still lost. Trace it out or leave it? Hours vs Minutes both equal no worse chance of fire than any other box in the wall. And I need the names and addresses of all who participated in this discussion so that I can keep a record for when the fire marshal shows up. haha
  9. S

Basement Washing Machine Drain

What line is safe for a washing machine to drain into? In my basement remodel my wife and I talked about possibly moving the laudry to the basement. I thought if nothing else I could at least get the power and water setup for us or the next guy. I have a 3/4 bath in the basement already...
  10. S

Basement - Can light vs Other

I wanted to stay away from fluorescents. So far with the exception of a short hallway all the cans are on the edges of the rooms, ~2 feet off the walls leaving the center open for me to either decide to put in some type of globe light or something. I just didnt want to have anything hanging...
  11. S

Sounds like I will have to track this thing down and nip it. Is there a tool for doing that? Some type of tracer? Once the wire is in the wall it can go any direction and I would hate to be punching hole in the living room to find a wire that I'm only going to disable. Can you ohmn one out...
  12. S

Yeah it's the boxes that I'm worried about. I don't want them there. I don't want to provide access to a box that is not used. I have a tracer that I can plug in and tell what breaker a line is on, very handy. Then I would just have to guess as to what outlet/switch that the line is jumped...
  13. S

Again working in the basement... The previous owner had finished about a 150-200sqf section for a pool table. I removed it all because he just furred the walls and didnt allow for any outlets. When I removed the sheetrock from the ceiling I discovered several electrical boxes. I know that...
  14. S

Basement - Can light vs Other

I'm finishing the basement from top to bottom. I plan on using can lights for all my overhead lighting. Sheet rocked, not drop. (The ceiling is low enough without me having to worry about cracking my skull.) Do can lights produce more heat in the room than any other light fixture? My wife...
  15. S

Basement - Air movement

The Grainger idea is much closer to what I want, but that will be difficult to get in between and behind a 2x4 wall without a big hammer. We have some Grainger catalogs here at work, I'll have to go though them. They may have something. I do have a soffet that runs the length of the basement...
  16. S

Basement - Air movement

First I would like to say thanks to the site. I got some great advice on how to add a shower to the 1/2 bath rough-in making it a 3/4 bath now! More work in the basement.... I have been working on finishing my basement and plan on drywalling the ceiling. I just don't have the height...
  17. S

1/2 bath to full bath

I dont plan to do it cheap. I do want to know my options. I have a hard time thinking about putting a hole in a foundation. I have never had a leaky basement and I dont want one. and really dont want it if it was because of a hole i put in it, lol. I'm just looking to arm myself with some...
  18. S

1/2 bath to full bath

Thanks. I guess I will have to put a small hole in the basement. I was hoping to avoid that. Does the hole need to be filled in with anything, even if it isnt all the way through? When connecting vents, do they have to have an upwward route? Obviously drains have to have a downward route...
  19. S

1/2 bath to full bath

I have a 1/2 bath rough-in in a basement. I have the space to create a full bath. Is is possible to add a shower without breaking the concrete floor for drainage? Can the shower be raised, step up and in? That way all the drainage goes under the step and into the wall? Also, I have been...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks