Search results

1. lardlad

Pitless adapter

My well has been shut down for the winter but I hope to start it up within the next week now that the chance of frost in northern Michigan is fading. I had the well driller shut it down but will be opening it myself. He sold me a long handled wrench for the pitless adapter, about 6 foot of...
  2. lardlad

Septic system failure

I have a summer cabin that is used about 4 months of the year and mostly on weekends. One toilet one bathroom sink and one kitchen sink empty into a "Schimpke system", basically one cast concrete tank with 2" inch opening at top that leads to a second tank made of individual loose fitted blocks...
  3. lardlad

Draining water from pitless adapter to tank

My supply line from my deep well pitless adapter gradually slopes up to the above ground slab I have my pressure/holding tank on. How do I drain the water in that supply line so it won't freeze this winter. I'll be shutting the power off to the submersible pump for the winter. Is there a valve...
  4. lardlad

How to shut down well for winter

We had a deep water well drilled this spring in Michigan. It has a submersible pump and pitless adapter. Evidently the well was "almost free flowing" so they had to install a seal at five foot depth. It runs pex I believe or some type of flexible line to the pressure switch and pressure tank...
  5. lardlad

Venting drainage system in cottage

Our family cottage had to be moved back from the lake bluff due to erosion several years back and they moved it over the septic tank. My Grandfather took care of refitting the drainage system after the move. There is one large (4"?) PVC drain from the toilet a branch that comes in from the...
  6. lardlad

Contractor question

I started calling around for bids on a drilling a deep well for a summer home in Northern Michigan back in May and received several bids all pretty close for doing a 5" PVC well to 150' with adjustment for $16/ft beyond 150'. My main concern was getting it done ASAP as this is a summer place and...
  7. lardlad

How to sanitize house plumbing

We are finally about a week away from a new deep well on our cottage property. We've used a shallow well for 40 years and in the past 15 of those years quit using the water for cooking and drinking due to the color. We never had it tested but in the past had a cartridge filter on it and I recall...
  8. lardlad

Ever heard of Schimpke tanks for septic system?

I have a cottage in Northern Michigan built circa 1945. When we had to move the cottage back from the bluff it was placed directly over the septic system. When we had it pumped the guy said they were "Schimpke tanks". I'm not sure of the spelling. They are two round, concrete tanks about four...
  9. lardlad

Acid tablets?

I've not used acid tablets myself, but we've had them put in our shallow well in the past. If I do use tablets how long should I let them work before expecting some results. I'm hoping maybe I'll improve my water flow enough to get me by until the new well is done. Jim
  10. lardlad

Newbie question

I'm considering having a deep well dug on some lakeshore property and am in the process of getting some bids. Some say they no longer do 2" wells and will only do 4-6". Some have quotes for PVC, some for galvanized. Is there an accepted standard now with using PVC vs steel? The 2" would...
  11. lardlad

Maintaing flow

I have a very old hand driven shallow well on the shores of Lake Michigan. It has given us enough water to run a one BR/kitchen set up until this year. I always have trouble getting water first time I start it in the spring. We replaced the pump a few years ago and probably thought bigger was...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks