Search results

1. duct tape pro

mortar under tub

Hi, I notice you have a slanted bottom to your tub too. What I did was layers of plywood under it before mortar mix (or drywall mix mentioned earlier). Plywood is solid and lense dense than mortar mix resulting in a thinner layer of mortar under your tub. End results looks like a series of a...
  2. duct tape pro

mortar under tub

thanks for the tips. I'll go shopping tomorrow.
  3. duct tape pro

mortar under tub

Hi, I am about to install a new tub. The bottom of the soaker tub is 1.5" above the ground level. (apron of tub is lower than tub bottom by the 1.5". Why, I have no idea!) In the instructions it says; "Ensure the bathtub rests solidly7 on the installed supports. Shim tub as req'd to...
  4. duct tape pro

Basic Soldering Dumb Question perhaps

Hi, I guess I should have mentioned that the other side of shutoff valves is in our bedroom behind the bedroom door. (hard to see, but under the fire retardant cloth hanging there is the cold air return from bedroom) I am planning an access panel there anyways, especially since nobody will...
  5. duct tape pro

Cool gel spray? Does that have better dissipating value than water? Hopefully it also smells better than smoked wood. (Wifey not impressed) What do you mean by buried? It will be behind cement board/tile, but given my handy skills, you're likely meaning in my back yard...LOL. To pressure test...
  6. duct tape pro

HI, I went to solder in a controller for tub/shower. I wrapped a fire retardant cloth around the area and still managed to get some wood burn. Anybody got tips on how to solder big pieces of metal(controller) without burning house? I only got 1 of 4 to take so far. Regular pipes aren't bad...
  7. duct tape pro

Today's 1/2" fixed copper pipe project

OUr house was built during an economic boom. There was a shortage of turn off valves so only toilets got the turn off valves, all taps run straight through so if a leak occurs, whole house has to be turned off. Building inspectors turned a blind eye for that period of time many years ago, but...
  8. duct tape pro

*^%$*% toilet phlange

Hi, Just a few additions to my Q above. I came across a flange repair/replacement that has the flange and about 3.5" of pipe. You just push it in and twist to expand a rubber seal. With the attached pipe, I"m thinking it may be better than the spacer thing shown above. 1. What says the...
  9. duct tape pro

*^%$*% toilet phlange

There is already 1/2 " fir plywood under that which I'm wanting to put in. That would make my total thickness 1 1/8" thick. Yes it's the flange that things are trying to revolve around. When tiling, I shouldn't run tile right up to tub or walls correct? I should leave 1/8" from all walls and...
  10. duct tape pro

*^%$*% toilet phlange

Hi, OK, not going with cement board then... so went looking for 5/8 T&G C grade exterior glue and two H Depots in my area didn't have any today. The closest thing they had in inventory was 5/8 T&G OSB ext. glue... My original thought is that this is likely not good enough as substrate for...
  11. duct tape pro

Icemaker

Hahahaha!! :rolleyes: The names often change but the story is always the same... binder-dundat myself. J
  12. duct tape pro

*^%$*% toilet phlange

Hi, So will this <kit> work good enough I don't need a plumber to fix up the weak existing flange, or by putting this on top with 2" screws give it good enough strength that no plumber needed now or still needed? TIA J
  13. duct tape pro

*^%$*% toilet phlange

update HI, Went to HD and picked up this flange gizmo (see pix) before hj's reply. Q1. Is this what was mentioned earlier today? It comes with 2" screws to anchor to the wood, T bolts and two thicknesses of quarter and half inch with a foam seal built into it. Was also looking at the...
  14. duct tape pro

*^%$*% toilet phlange

Hi, Deflecto says I'm good for tile but not stone. (whew!). I meant to put 1/4...oops. So new question then. Assuming what I said about floor level then adding the secondary phlange to the first one, which is the better way to go, cement board or the schluter sheets for floor tile...
  15. duct tape pro

*^%$*% toilet phlange

HI, Thx 4 reply. I'll repeat in my own words to see how badly I screw this up. Anchor existing phlange to the piece of wood that's there. Put in 1/2" subfloor to match height of existing piece of wood around phlange. Place 1/8" concrete as stable *platform* for the ceramic tile to go...
  16. duct tape pro

*^%$*% toilet phlange

lino's up, here's a pix suggestions on what to do? (pix attached) After last post I pulled off lino from around phlange. Found out there's a hunk of wood around the phlange rather than crappy particle board. If final goal is for tile, and obviously now trying to use same phlange I'm...
  17. duct tape pro

*^%$*% toilet phlange

Ewwwwwwwwwwww . . . . Dang
  18. duct tape pro

*^%$*% toilet phlange

In the midst of bathroom reno. Finally got subfloor out except around phlange. Unscrewed anchor screws for phlange and thought it would just lift out. Noooo to easy... the whole pipe will move around about a inch or so up and down, but I can't see anything holding it. I am starting...
  19. duct tape pro

Tub size 14.5 or 16?

Next step toilet Ignore, I've gone to check out toilet section where this question should be. sorry
  20. duct tape pro

Tub size 14.5 or 16?

Thx, that tip makes it easy. Pipe is nudged up by a beam so it'll only nudge in one direction!;) I was just looking at the supply line shower tap directions and it uses threaded pipe for the shower and taps. I went and looked at old tap and it had a different kind of pipe for the tap which...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks