Search results

1. Gardner

fittings for "guzzler" style hand pump

I am plumbing the priming system for my cottage pump. I have a "guzzler" style Chinese knock-off diaphragm pump. I will need to go from the pump inlet fitting to the rest if the plumbing, and from the outlet to a vinyl discharge hose. The fittings look to be 3/4 gray PVC. It seems like a 3/4...
  2. Gardner

low lift jet pump priming

I posted some of the details about my jet pump installation in another thread. It is set up to draw from a lake and pump sits only about 4 ft above lake level. Even so, priming is a PITA. I have been thinking a bit about simplifying priming it. My scheme is to plumb in one of those cheap...
  3. Gardner

suitable union for jet pump intake hose

I have a 3/4 HP jet pump installed in a seasonal cottage. It pulls water from a lake via a 1-1/4 polyethylene hose. The pickup hose has to be disconnected and removed from the lake each winter due to freezing and ice movement. At the moment, the poly hose is connected via a steel hose barb...
  4. Gardner

Jet pump control valve adjustment

I have a Red Lion convertible shallow well jet pump. It is set up to pull water from a lake, about three feet below the level of the pump, through a 1-1/4 polyethylene line. Other than a vacuum leak at the inlet barbs that I am working on, I think everything is working okay. The discharge...
  5. Gardner

cleaning/dressing old pipe threads

I have a somewhat grotty old 3/4 threaded hub on a galvanized steel fitting and I need to thread a new 3/4 brass fitting into it. The old threads are not particularly nice, but they are likely serviceable. Is there a standard procedure for cleaning and dressing an old rusty, putty-encrusted...
  6. Gardner

Bottle trap

So my new sink is installed and plumbed and seems to be okay. The new sink's tailpiece is quite close to the wall and consequently there is very little -- actually not really enough -- room for the trap. For now I have the trap running outward and looped back so it can be used, but it looks...
  7. Gardner

Banded coupling from 1-1/4 copper

I was in the midst of hooking up my new sink when I realized the chromed copper trap arm was disintegrating. I couldn't believe how rotten it was at the bottom where it entered the next fitting. As everything in this house, it was assembled in some arcane way that could not be easily fixed...
  8. Gardner

Toto Drake on thick flange?

I read this thread about installing a Toto Drake on a thick ABS flange... I'm worried now, as I have a thick ABS flange set on top of a finished porcelain tile floor. My flange is 7/16th (11mm) thick. Am I also going to have trouble with fitting the horn of a Drake over this flange...
  9. Gardner

considering dual flush -- which one

I originally planned for Toto Drake, but have recently begun thinking about a dual flush instead. I am not keen on drilling into my shiny new porcelain floor for an Aquia. My local (not big-box) plumbing shop has an American Standard FloWise Dual Flush at a price that suits me. The...
  10. Gardner

Replacing a small wall mount sink

I need to replace a small wall mount sink because of its colour. The existing sink is 19x15 about. A similar or slightly smaller sink would be okay. I've found a Crane Squire (which is teensie) that looks like my best bet, but I'm interested in suggestions about other options. The...
  11. Gardner

Narrow toilet

I am re-doing the framing and subfloor of a small powder room in my house. The toilet flange is 11-1/2 from the finished wall to centre of flange. The spot where the toilet has to sit is boxed in quite narrow on one side, with a heating duct. It is 11 inches from one side and 12 from the...
  12. Gardner

shower wall union

I have a shower head that has been installed at about chest height. It's not been worth it to tear apart and re-build the tile wall to move it to a more sensible height, so instead I've installed a hand-held shower head and bracket. This part works fine. The old shower-head tube still sticks...
  13. Gardner

Water system for rural cottage

I'm building a water system for a rural cottage/cabin to augment the existing generator powered pump. I want to add a 1,000 litre (250 US-Gal) cistern and a solar powered pump to give us a water supply and some pressure when we're running off battery. The general layout is shown in the...
  14. Gardner

Dishwasher drain air-gap -- cheater vent?

My dishwasher will drain into a trap that is quite a ways from my sink, that serves only the dishwasher. I have 1-1/2 ABS with a dishwasher nipple on the side. Above the nipple I need an air inlet to provide an "air gap". I am trying to decide what to do. Maybe I can build a snorkel out of 1/2...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks