Search results

1. PK

Construct new well, or UV treat existing?

We have a 50-foot-deep by 30" diameter bored well that was constructed in 1980. We've lived here for 10 years with no water problems (low pH is corrected by soda ash), until we had a significant downpour early this summer. Our water turned cloudy, and we tested positive for total coliform and...
  2. PK

Brown / orange ring around drain in new Kohler sink

Hi, I installed a Kohler Memoirs pedestal sink in August. By October, there was a clearly noticeable brown or dark orange ring around the drain. The ring is about 1/4" wider than the drain flange. We have well water, but we have it tested regularly and it always comes back clean and clear...
  3. PK

Toto bowl doesn't always fill completely

I've just installed a Toto Clayton (1.28, elongated), and it seems to flush fine. The amount of water that fills the bowl after each flush, however, isn't consistent. If I hold the lever down for about 1 second when flushing, the bowl seems to refill completely. I measure a water level of...
  4. PK

Can I combine brass/chrome and plastic p-trap segments?

I'm installing a pedestal sink in a tight alcove in a bathroom. Only about 4 inches of the horizontal drain pipe from the p-trap to the wall can be seen from any angle at all. Can I use a 1 1/4" plastic p-trap assembly for all of the hidden parts, and then use a chrome-plated brass wall tube...
  5. PK

Wax-free toilet seal questions

I'd like to use a wax-free toilet seal on a new toilet I'm installing. There's a 90-degree bend in the waste pipe right at the flange, so I know it presents a challenge. I have both Fernco and Fluidmaster seals to try. The Fernco looks short enough to fit before the bend, but it's REALLY...
  6. PK

Toto toilet design question, and wax ring size

I'm getting ready to install a Toto Eco Clayton. I looked carefully at the new toilet today and noticed two things I wouldn't have expected: 1) Although the bowl is smoothly glazed, the trapway inside feels rough, sort of like 220 grit sandpaper. 2) There is a lip inside the trapway exit...
  7. PK

Toto Clayton vs. Kohler Memoirs

There are lots of recommendations for Toto toilets here, and we have a Drake in our home that works great. The Toto Clayton, however, isn't often mentioned. So here's my request for advice: If... 1) your spouse really preferred the look of the Kohler Memiors toilet, 2) the only Toto...
  8. PK

Gasket or putty under bathtub drain lip?

I'm installing a new lift and turn bathtub drain. The new drain is packaged with a rubber gasket, and the instructions seem to show that the gasket goes underneath the drain lip (on top of the tub). The old drain had putty in that location. I've cleaned out all the old putty, and I found...
  9. PK

Low pH

My well water tests at a pH of 5.6 and total dissolved solids of 40. I have a downflow/backwashing 2.5 cu ft neutralizer tank filled only with calcite. When drawing a steady flow (like a shower) at 2.5 gpm or higher, the pH of the treated water levels out at around 6.5 or 6.6. I'm using an...
  10. PK

Neutralizer questions

I have a 13x54 calcite tank with a Fleck 5600 head on it. I've recently learned two things about my situation: 1) The pH of my raw water is 5.67, and my treated water is 6.68. I have copper plumbing and have been told that I really should try to get the pH up to 7 to avoid leaks and...
  11. PK

Losing pressure between pump and diaphragm tank

I've just replaced my old diaphragm tank (ruptured bladder), which has given me a chance to observe something I was unaware of. My pressure switch is set to kick on at 40psi and kick off at 58 psi (according to the gauge at the diaphragm manifold). Tank air pressure when the tank is empty is...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks