Search results

1. bnewland

Replacing toilet flange, finds lead and broken cement

I finally got the toilet set and no leaks. Well, had 1 leak at the tank to bowl bolts because they were too loose. Fine now. I used an air hammer to break up some of the inner cement in order to pour new 80lb bag. I covered the pipe that had the lead sleeve in it with a scrap piece of 4" pvc. I...
  2. bnewland

How to tie PVC into Cast Iron hub Is this what I should be doing to my existing hub? Is mine an Oakham joint?
  3. bnewland

Shoot. Maybe i'm TOO much of a novice to handle this. I can't do oakham joints.
  4. bnewland

The only lead i've seen is this sleeve that was inside the 4" pipe. Do I have an Oakham joint?
  5. bnewland

Appreciation goes to this fine forum, and its' participants. I like the 887-GPM option. Too many options, and I get in analysis paralysis. I just need to figure out the pouring of cement/mortar around the flange area. I agree, it has evolved from hokey to not-as-hokey. As long as I am doing the...
  6. bnewland

1. I guess that's my problem. I don't have a planned new floor surface. I'll have to come up with something. 2. It stays straight 4" from the top of the pipe.
  7. bnewland

From top of my pipe, to top of broken cement is 2". That would have me pour 1 5/8" of cement around the tail and surrounding area? leaving 3/8" free up to the flange? Or am I calculating that wrong?
  8. bnewland

The adapter is a LESSO 4"x3" DWV S&D Adapter Coupling LP117X - 422B After the lead was removed, the ID of the pipe is 4". The OD of the PVC adapter looks more like 3 15/16", but would take gentle tapping to get it in the pipe. A long-tail spigot closet flange looks good but would need to fit a...
  9. bnewland

What would make it water tight?
  10. bnewland

I've removed some cement. My goal is the remove the smaller piece of cement altogether then put the bigger piece back in. The two pvc pieces fit in the metal piece perfect. I'll glue the flange to the pvc coupler/riser, whatever it's called. make sure the flange is level, build a form and pour...
  11. bnewland

What did you do today?

I have LOTS of experience with battery backups in Enterprise level companies
  12. bnewland

What did you do today?

Do you have the APC software installed on the computer? It's needed to initiate the computer shutdown when the battery backup takes over supplying power in the case of a mains power outage. Without the software, the APC will keep the computer powered on as long as it can. If the batteries in the...
  13. bnewland

Thanks John, I'm on that as we speak. This doesn't take too long, but I'm trying not to damage the cast piece since it's crusty and might crack to pieces.
  14. bnewland

Thanks for the part numbers, Reach4. I bought some things while at my local hardware store, if that doesn't work then I'll make the hour drive to a plumbing supply store tomorrow am. I got a flange, a extension that fits inside the cast, quikrete, flange bolts, wax ring with horn, wax ring...
  15. bnewland

What is this? It is very flexible, must be lead, but what function does it serve? Packing? Liner? The CI is a little crusty, but intact. I'm thinking that I should just remove the lead, and install a CI "collar" or extension piece, then the toilet flange, and remove all the immediate broken...
  16. bnewland

My Ensuite Renovation WIP

Wow. You are a whirlwind. I admire your tenacity.
  17. bnewland

The lead hole is a little over three and a half inches, sorry I didn't answer your question last post. I've started removing the cement around it, and folded the lead closed over the hole. I've got to run to the hardware store and return a quarter inch supply line for a 3/8 in supply line. I'll...
  18. bnewland

I used expanding foam spray in order to keep the spiders and mice out of the bathroom. It wasn't for any structural integrity. I've seen your posts suggesting or recommending the danco hydro seat. It looks like a very good product. I might give it a shot. What's the worst that can happen...
  19. bnewland

What did you do today?

Despite the bright colors, ring-necked snakes are not poisonous, and they remain very small. I recall them being nocturnal and they like to hide. I've only found them when digging dirt, and moving down trees, and large pieces of bark. I believe they're native to Oklahoma and Southern Kansas. I...
  20. bnewland

What did you do today?

Today...I woke up, remembered that I needed to dig out surrounding cement and replace toilet flange, then pour new cement, all while avoiding possible asbestos. Next I pulled covers over head and tried to forget.
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks