Search results

1. Borisj

Low *Tub Spout* Flow with All New Plumbing

The cartridge is totally clean and brand new. And it wasn't installed when I piped. Personally I would never solder near a cartridge. In this case, the tub spout outlet of the mixing valve goes 1/2" MPT (on cartridge) -> 1/2" to 3/4" FPT brass coupler -> 3/4" FPT brass nipple to tub spout drop...
  2. Borisj

I know, letting water run through the open chassis, was an experiment to prove that the plumbing before the chassis/rough-in is not the problem. When I put the cartridge in, I do not get anywhere near the stated flow rate for the *tub*... which is not affected by the 2.5 GPM restriction. Either...
  3. Borisj

I just built a guest house myself. Everything is new, including pipes. With no cartridge installed, and the stops open far as they go (~½” of threads showing), I get ~8 GPM flow out of the Delta rough-in valve body (R10000-UNWS). I’ve tried 3 cartridges (w/3/4" x 12" L brass nipple from valve...
  4. Borisj

How much of a water heater’s *cold* line should I insulate?

Thanks! And thanks for saying "couple-2-3," takes me back to my decade in Chicago :)
  5. Borisj

How much of a water heater’s *cold* line should I insulate?

Hello, I’m installing an electric tank water heater (Rheem Marathon) in a conditioned space. The hot pipe will be insulated all the way. But how many feet of the cold (supply) line should I insulate? The pipe for it goes up 6in, sideways 8in, then down 6 *ft* through a floor. CA requires...
  6. Borisj

Do I need 12” vertical brass stubs on this Rheem Water Heater?

Nah the lines are sized fine, I just thought this one elbow might make a big difference because it's right on the water heater. Kinda like how using <1/2" pipe from mixing valve to tub spout will cause problems even though it's a short run (I know that's a different situation just clarifying...
  7. Borisj

Thanks John. I appreciate your perspective. I will start with 18" of LF brass since I can't use copper here. In your opinion, is there any potential downside to me starting the run with an elbow? I.e. screwing an elbow directly to the inlet/outlet. Any risk of bottleneck, whether for water...
  8. Borisj

Also I just found this thread: https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?threads/copper-to-pex-for-electric-water-heater-connections.76471/#. MikeQ's reply is interesting. In tandem with the above, it honestly seems like no one really knows what the answer is. The applicable code in every...
  9. Borisj

Hi John, I'm not saying it "means much." I haven't seen it because I'm a professional framer and remodeler, and I'm hear to LEARN. As Terry said above, it's not done in his area for earthquakes. And I have laid eyes on maybe 100 water heaters in TX and can verify that it is not the norm here...
  10. Borisj

So are you saying that all water heaters should be installed with 18" of hard pipe? I have never seen this in TX in my life, except old copper installs. I have also never seen it specd in a Rheem or AO manual. Just asking if it's best practice. Does the hard pipe have to be vertical?
  11. Borisj

Just trying to learn here. I have installed 10-12 water heaters and always just used flexible connectors as is standard here. I wanted to do something more resilient on this project. The inlet/outlet on this water heater are brass, that's also why I wasn't thinking stainless. I have seen dip...
  12. Borisj

Terry I can't use copper here (water composition), and I don't want to use flexible (unless corrugated copper... which I can't use). I want to hard pipe. So I think I have to use brass nipples... but if I do, is it ok to start with a street elbow? or could that cause a pressure issue to put a...
  13. Borisj

Thanks so much Terry & hj, my plumbing tutors over the past 10 years, for responding to this long time lurker :) I'm a framer by trade but do a lot of off the books plumbing as it comes up. Terry -- I want to avoid flexible hoses in this case. And I can't use copper w/our water composition. So...
  14. Borisj

Hello, I’m installing a Rheem Marathon 50-gal water heater, in a 2nd floor, where it’ll service only the 1st floor (so it kinda has a “built in” heat trap since the pipe only goes down). Been trying to contact Rheem for 2 weeks with no response. There’s no code official here for me to ask either...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks