Search results

1. Cliffyk

silicone grease on anode rod threads? why do they screw it in so tight?

My 10¢ worth--I would not use Teflon tape as it could potentially (no pun intended) interfere with the relatively minute electron flow by insulating the rod cap from the tank--a paste with a reasonably tight fit-up would like have better metal-to-metal contact while still preventing corrosion...
  2. Cliffyk

Carrying a new water heater down stairs

With assistance of one or two others capable of maneuvering such a load...
  3. Cliffyk

Gas water heater vent - how to correct this

CO (Carbon Monoxide) is not significantly lighter or heavier than "air", so it tends to disperse within indoor air making placement of detectors less critical than as is the case with smoke detectors. However CO is also poisonous--I.e. it is not "just not air" (oxygen) which will suffocate...
  4. Cliffyk

Gas water heater vent - how to correct this

Immediately, before you and yours die of carbon monoxide poisoning!
  5. Cliffyk

Water Heater Issues?

OP. I think you mean "sediment". and yes a deteriorating anode can create the particles pictured. You need to change out the rod and flush the heater--instructions for flushing can be found here and all over the web The magnesium rod in our "new" heater only lasted 3-years almost to this...
  6. Cliffyk

Likely cause of Water Leak and Greenish discoloration on Copper pipes

Old age and vibration (the whole world vibrates) have strained the threaded connection. The proper fix is to disassemble it all and refiit as needed...
  7. Cliffyk

Elongated Toilet Recommendation

Like most economy "house brand", stuff Glacier Bay is junk--the porcelain is substandard and stains/erodes in just a few years--spend a bit extra and get American Standard or Kohler. Just this year I replaced two stained and pitted (pitted in the outlet elbow, affecting flushing) 6 yo GB toilets...
  8. Cliffyk

Fleck 5600 SXT Settings in new house

A common misconception is that the various settings of ion exchange water softeners can and do control "how soft" the treated water is--this is not so. Ion exchange softening removes a quantity (close to all) calcium and magnesium ions from the water making it generically "soft". The softener...
  9. Cliffyk

Required to replace water heater, Florida Homeowners Insurance Companies are getting out of hand.

This filing of a homeowner's insurance claims for old or just plain worn out components (be it water heater or roof) is something I have watched develop, increase, and even be tacitly encouraged by insurers (they like the increased premiums that have accompanied the practice. It would never...
  10. Cliffyk

Required to replace water heater, Florida Homeowners Insurance Companies are getting out of hand.

Ours also doubled this year. Keep in mind that the agent's commission is a pecentage of the premium cost--so, higher premium = higher commission...
  11. Cliffyk

Copper Flex Water Heater Pipes

Like most any "generic" manufactured product copper flex conectors come in a wide spectrum of overall quality--I have seen many that were absolute crap. They are also quite susceptable to careless and sloppy installation, and physical damage--even when located in low/no "traffic" locations. I...
  12. Cliffyk

Not to cast aspersions against your insurance agency¹, nonetheless I would request from them a copy of the insurer's notification and the insurer's water heater policy requirements--"to assure your full compliance with their needs"... -------------------------- ¹- You do know what 20,000...
  13. Cliffyk

Copper Flex Water Heater Pipes

Is the photo you attached of the failed pipe? A closeup of the failed section would be worth 1000 words...
  14. Cliffyk

Leaking portable water expansion tank

"Potable" water--I.e. fit to drink. Is the "blue" valve a Schraeder type tank air precharge fitting? It may just be that the valve insert is weeping...
  15. Cliffyk

Is this a schrader valve?

A Schrader valve is a small air air valve, as commonly used on automotive tires. They are also used on "bladder" type water tanks to monitor and maintain their air charge. The valve you have indicated is almost certainly not a Schrader valve--got a better photo?
  16. Cliffyk

Terry Love is dealing with some cancer now

^^^THIS^^^ In my ballses with health issues, I have found all of what Weekend Handyman" said to be true. A doctor i respected--now gone-- once asked me; "Do you know what they call a doctor that graduated last in their class?"... "No." says I. His followup: "Doctor." Best wishes Terry!
  17. Cliffyk

Mud on well pump

More often than anyone likes to admit plastic plumbing. pipes and connectors/fixtures. have a significant advantage with regard to service life--they don't like high vibration and stress but properly supported and isolated they often outlive traditional metallic systems--they are also VERY...
  18. Cliffyk

Mud on well pump

A subtle "weeping" leaking of the coupling...
  19. Cliffyk

Please help! Old element, no leak. New element, LEAK!

1 picture = 1,000 words...
  20. Cliffyk

New water heater came with some water in it

My grandfather used to taunt us wiith "You know what 'thought' did don't you?" "He 'thought' he had to fart!" Would not hurt to ask...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks