Search results

1. D

Are these bathroom rough-in dimensions correct?

I think you are ok. My tub drain was also 60" from the back wall. I guess that is the norm.
  2. D

Nicked a 3" pipe with my saw

I already had the Fernco from my friends first repair :) I figured since I had it, I would use it to make double sure the PVC coupling stayed put after it had been cemented.
  3. D

Cut & Jack Hammer Basement Slab

I was going to say the same thing....why not skip the cutting and just use an electric jack hammer. Once you get a hole going it is very easy to take it any direction you want. A wet saw inside a house is going to make a big mess also. I'd skip the sawing all together.
  4. D

Are these bathroom rough-in dimensions correct?

I believe a standard tub is 60". The drain is not at the very edge of the tub, probably 6-8" in. I think you will be fine. What is the space between the shower stub and the toilet stub? You need at least 15" of clearance between them. My rough-ins were spaced too close together. I did...
  5. D

I had plenty of room to work on the pipe, just no room to put in a slip joint without having to cut the pipe two places. I used HJ's method and cut a slip joint to make a 190 degree C. I sanded down the cut where I had previously put on PVC glue and I reprimed everything. I applied PVC glue...
  6. D

2nd floor laundry

I knew what you meant. I have a second floor laundry and my washer sits in a pan with a drain. I guess for your purposes it might be OK to route the drain outside, but it won't be to code. What will you put over the pipe to keep critters out?
  7. D

I figured I'd also get a Fernco coupling and slice it down the center to put over the hard patch. All that and 80 lbs. of concrete should do the trick. Odds are water will never get to the top of that pipe anyway....it should be draining right out.
  8. D

I will purchase a slip coupling tomorrow and do as you guys say....I'll cut it in half and glue it over the cut. Thanks for the advice.
  9. D

pex layout like copper OR the manifold method

I don't know anything about Pex, but here in Prince William, VA. homeowners can pull permits to do everything....including gas, electric, plumbing, mechanical, etc.
  10. D

2nd floor laundry

I am strickly a beginner, but I am pretty certain there is no problem using a AAV in your situation. On the other hand, I an also pretty certain that you cannot allow waste water to exit your house like that. Your washer would be spewing gray water and most states do not allow you to dump that...
  11. D

OK, I think I may have taken the wrong approach trying to do the easy fix. The cut does go into the pipe (I can slip a saw blade into the cut). I'm thinking now the only way to fix it properly is to cut the pipe and put in a joint of some sort. Are the flexible black rubber couplings with...
  12. D

While moving my shower drain a few inches I accidently cut the 3" PVC pipe that was directly below it. The cut is about 1" long, the width of a reciprocating saw blade (about 1/16th") and is directly on top of the pipe. I was planning on priming the cut and applying cement to seal it up. I...
  13. D

Question about adding a drain

Thanks for the replies. I am adding a full bathroom also. My house was built with a bathroom rough in so I already have access to a drain and vent system. The wet bar will be in an adjacent room to the bathroom, but will be on the opposite end of the room (wouldn't want to make it too easy)...
  14. D

Does anyone know what the typical limit is on how far you can run a horizontal drain? I want to add a sink that is about 30 feet from the existing 3" drain. I have plenty of slope to make the run, but I want everything inspected and correct.
  15. D

I am adding a drain for a wet bar in my basement. Is there a limit to how far you can run horizontal drain (as long as you have 1/4" per foot of slope)? What about the vent....does it have to go vertical for a specified distance before it can go horizontal? Are there limits to how far a vent...
  16. D

Need help moving a shower drain

Thanks for all the advice....I'll definitely use a sweep instead of a hard 90. Adjusting the P trap won't help because it is already pointing the direction I want to go. Just to confirm, there are no code issues with using a sweep to move horizontally a few inches to the right?
  17. D

Need help moving a shower drain

Let me start off by saying that this is a great forum. I keep Googling questions about plumbing and time after time I am linked to this forum. I am a DIYer with little to no knowledge of the plumbing code. I am a firm believer in doing things right the first time. I am in the process of...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks