Search results

1. TheGreek

What to do - 1934 Standard Bathtub faucet

Thank you, I will try option one. If it fails, one could undo it and then use the flush bushing approach. The way I did this second floor bathroom, I used a large steel access door at the head of the bathtub in the second floor stairwell wall, I can access all the plumbing and pull the unit in...
  2. TheGreek

Thanks Jeff, I was wondering about the concept of only going hand tight. You are correct about Silver Solder is brazing. What I meant when I said brazing was O-A Welding with brazing rod. I will try the Silver Solder and see what I get. James
  3. TheGreek

Hello, I have a 1934 Standard Bathtub faucet. All rebuilt and we put it in. Only to discover that one of the pipe connections is leaking. Turns out that this one connect, of many, has two or three hairline cracks in the threads. It does not go through, it does leak down and out past the...
  4. TheGreek

Scratching my head...Drilling a plumbing wall

I have a silly little question... I have a 1-1/2 inch vent pipe/drain pipe for a sink that runs from the upper plate to the lower plate. I cannot get access to the plates to come up/down into a stud bay. Therefore, I need to pass a 1/2 inch cold water pipe past a 1/-1/2 inch vent pipe. The...
  5. TheGreek

Cast Iron Sink Vent Line Clearance Problem

The more I think about it... I will notch all three stud's about 1/2' to 3/4 inch deep across about 10 inches (non-bearing wall). Then glue and nail plywood into the notch. I also plan when the plumbing, wiring and insulation are done to plywood the entire wall with 1/2 inch then either...
  6. TheGreek

Cast Iron Sink Vent Line Clearance Problem

Hi All, I have a 1930's Standard Cast Iron Sink that is wall mounted. I have the factory mount. The issue is that the mount requires a 2x6 in the wall, flat facing between the studs, to handle the bracket and the weight. The unit hangs from the top lip. The bracket hangs down about 3 inch or...
  7. TheGreek

Toilet, 3 inch, dog leg 15 inch from wall…Question

First let me thank everyone for the help and advise. We are operating however under a couple of miscommunications and/or the photos are not conveying things well. The sink drain runs parallel to the existing toilet and connects past were it drop down to the ground floor. As I understand it...
  8. TheGreek

CA UPC 2019 Section 905.3 ”Unless prohibited by structural conditions, each vent shall rise vertically to a point not less than 6 inches (152 mm) above the flood-level rim of the fixture served before offsetting horizontally, and where two or more vent pipes converge, each such vent pipe shall...
  9. TheGreek

Thanks Wayne, That is an option. You know when you look at something for a long time and just do not “see” alternatives? I think I may be an idiot. The entry door wall, which is non bearing, is 18 inches (more than 15 from the finished wall) from the toilet center line. I have part of the...
  10. TheGreek

The ground floor bathroom is ADA with walk in shower and tall toilet for a bad back. We also have a 1/4 bath in the ground floor laundry room. If I can make the stairs to the 2nd floor then I can get into the bathtub and use the vintage toilet…if not, then the ground floor it is…
  11. TheGreek

Our 1922 bathroom in San Francisco is not tiny, not big, but tiny… I am hoping someone can come up with a solution within the existing constraints, lest I will have to punt and keep the toilet where it is. This mess is in our future retirement home.
  12. TheGreek

I do get that John, But I cannot, as per my PE, cut into those trusses. I am not trying to be obstinate, I just am working with a fair amount of constraints. The wish is to have the toilet on the right end of the room, the sink in the middle as can be seen written on the stud, and the cast iron...
  13. TheGreek

Can I assume that the above approach in the link will not work? My original idea was to do this just in the opposite direction. I could do this and not tie this new vent into any of the existing venting, but run it out the roof on its own. But it would run for about 100 inches before it turned...
  14. TheGreek

I am starting to wonder if I am screwed and cannot move the toilet. I cannot cut through the trusses on either side of that bay. The existing fitting, the 3 inch pipe which drops down and is vented off the top, is in such a place that there is no way to get to that fitting without tearing out...
  15. TheGreek

I have a toilet that is to be moved A few feet down the wall. The existing pipe, a 3 inch ABS pipe, runs in cavity made by the second floor truss bays. The truss members cannot be cut. The pipe runs to the edge of the bathroom and then drops down and interior wall to the ground floor. THe...
  16. TheGreek

What a Mess!

The thing that will complicate everything is I cannot cut into the bottom truss chord. I need a solution that runs parallel to it or over the top in the new to be built platform. That truss was already drilled through and is cracking. I cannot make it worse. The 3 inch drain heading down has...
  17. TheGreek

What a Mess!

Hi John, The only problem I suspect is that the sink vent is only 1.5 inch and not 2 inch. Is that going to be an issue? I am also not sure if there is going to be enough room to get the vent Wye to 45 degrees. I will have to see when I get back up to the house. The existing toilet vent is...
  18. TheGreek

What a Mess!

After sleeping on it all night... One idea is to make the "splice" using a Wye that is at the far right of the platform (green line in the photo) and have it go back toward the hip wall and tie into the existing vent line. They are basically doing the same thing right now. That would put the...
  19. TheGreek

What a Mess!

So, I got my 2nd floor bathroom floor open and found a convoluted mess on the vent plumbing. It all met the code as of 1990. My problem is that we need to move the toilet a few feet to the right. Problem is they vented it at the hip wall and not the side wall. We will be moving the sink closer...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks