Search results

1. Jhtx

Extra support for Durock around tub between studs?

Shimming would likely need to be at least 1/4" in some places. I haven't measured exactly, but that's what the eye test says. My waterproofing layer will be Redgard. Will Kerdiband adhere to the tub flange no problem? It's a porcelain steel unit. When you say Kerdifix "or the like", what are...
  2. Jhtx

Given that I'm not bringing the Durock down over the tub flange, would it be explicitly BAD practice as far as moisture to add in horizontal support backing along the perimeter of the tub? Part of me wants the support at the bottom of the Durock, but then that is also just wood effectively all...
  3. Jhtx

I've been looking at this picture for a minute and can't figure out what it's showing me for some reason. What's the highlighted deal?
  4. Jhtx

Yeah, I have read about the best practices regarding the flange and the joint where the cement board meets it and/or hangs over it. I won't be able to achieve that. Unfortunately I can't shim the studs out because that wall extends the whole length of the bathroom. Well, I COULD, but I'm not...
  5. Jhtx

I'm attaching a picture here of how the tub is positioned between a couple of wall studs. Should the Durock just "float" in this area or should I build up some 2x4 bracing a la the pink doodles? The tile edge will be the yellow stud, so if there's no support for the Durock around the pink lines...
  6. Jhtx

Quick help Texas - unfaced insulation on tub/shower exterior wall?

Thank you, this is exactly what I was wanting to clear up. I was hoping to already be going on the tile install but the tub install took me forever. Sure goes slow working alone lol.
  7. Jhtx

Quick help Texas - unfaced insulation on tub/shower exterior wall?

I know this has been discussed a million times and I have been researching for a week but keep finding conflicting or very old (15-20 years back) internet threads on this topic. I'm in the middle of renovating my mom's bathroom - original to her 1958 built home in Dallas. The long side of the...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks